• 75% vermicuite-25% peat moss

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • other...please state in reply post

Votes: 414 33.1%

• Total voters

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
other....Coconut stuff....I believe it was Bed a Beast..this is being used for a Avicularia avicularia.

Of course I'm a Newb...so it might change

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I placed my new B smithi (4.5 cm) in a KK with with 100% vermiculite. He was not very mobile, didn't move any substrate and spent a lot of time on the walls of his KK. He never went into his hide. I added about 60% potting soil/compost/sand and as I was adding it he started to rework it. He has now completely re-decorated, never climbs the walls, uses his hide and seems to be very contented. Was it the substrate change? IMHO -YES!!:clap:

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lover of 8 legs said:
I placed my new B smithi (4.5 cm) in a KK with with 100% vermiculite. He was not very mobile, didn't move any substrate and spent a lot of time on the walls of his KK. He never went into his hide. I added about 60% potting soil/compost/sand and as I was adding it he started to rework it. He has now completely re-decorated, never climbs the walls, uses his hide and seems to be very contented. Was it the substrate change? IMHO -YES!!:clap:
I couldn't agree more - thanks for your example...

Cheers!

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
substrate preference

i use this stuff made by T-REX called "forest bed" expandable substrate.i had been using 100% vermiculite but wanted something more natural.my spiders didnt mind the vermiculite atall.a gd thing with the vermiculite is that is so lite,it makes moving a tank or critter cage that much easier.

Alissa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am pretty new to keeping t's so this thread has been really interesting for me.

I have a few t's on straight peat, but I set up another enclosure with 50/50 peat and potting soil and I like the texture and look a lot better. I'm just not changing the other tanks to it because of all the beautiful webbing my t's have put up.

I have a t. blondi sling that I keep on verm it came with because of it's high moisture needs (and my inability to give it a water dish) but when it gets big enough to get out of the big deli cup I'm going to put it on the potting soil/peat mix.

:wumpscut:

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it really depends on the animals natural habitat and where it lives in that habitat. you wouldn't use sand and peat for a ball python and you wouldn't use clay and rock chip, leaf litter for a isreali gold scorpion. i know it depends on the origin and natural history of the animal.
for example, P. liosoma like sandy hardpack dirt but ours only digs if there is stone to burrow under. the B. jacksoni won't if there are ground plants or leafs but if not, likes plain outdoor dirt, not potting soil. just my two cents.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
100% peat moss. However I think i'm going to use a 50/50 peat moss and coco fiber (the coco fiber seems to hold moisture better than peat).

alucard1965

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got that beast bed cocconut fiber bricks put it in a bucket of water and it grows wow.Anyway it works great for my 10 spiders and scorpions.

:wumpscut:

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i now that my P.l. will burrow better in a more solid soil mix then a simple peat-coco blend. he'll dig a maze of tunnels and they range from just under the stones to about 4 inches below. THis is due to the soil profile being more packable ad solid. I think if one is the best enjoy the natural habitats of these wonderful creatures then one should at least try to create it's natural habitat that that starts at the soil.

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
I have used 100% peat up until last summer. Then I discovered the coco fibre stuff when I couldn't find my regular brand of peat (shultz).

I much prefer the coconut fibre now. Absorbs moisture much better, and it allows the tiniest of slings to burrow more readily.
D.

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use: sand + earth (+ vemiculite),
and the proportion really depends on the sp.

kingz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i use a mix of 50% shults peat moss and 50% coconut fiber.

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Coconut fiber. It's cleaner, not dusty, holds water like a sponge and is completely free of pests.

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont know why people don't like the sticks and imperfections in peat... I think it makes it look awesome... I have used 100% peat with zero problems, but I am thinking about mixing in some kind of sterile earth for the deeper burrowing species... I would try this coco stuff but peat is so cheap, I doubt I ever will... I will NEVER use bed-a-beast, totally and completely useless to me at that price. Vermiculite I am sure is fine, but I don't think I need it, my humidty levels are perfectly fine... I think the best things are peat because it's cheap, sterile earth because its what they have naturally, maybe this coco stuff if so many people like it, and vermiculite I am sure can be usefull - but generally pointless to most of us. I think the worst things too use are 100% sand for uncountable reasons, bed-a-beast because the cost factor is ridiculous, any kind of wood shavings or anything made for hamsters/mice, rocks, etc...

I think it's kind of funny how people are so adamant about there choice of substrates when so many things work so well, I just think it is sad to see people spend so much money when there are much cheaper solutions. :?

I was wondering if someone could give me any information on putting leaves on top of the substrate for burrowing species... Will the incorporate this into the external or internal structure of there burrow? Also, what leaves if any are good to use?