Stupidest thing youve ever done while careing for Ts and other inverts

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
This thread is to help others learn from our mistakes so ill start off. Id say its a tie between putting my hand in an enclosure with a zelus luridus to move some decore around or when i handled an argiope aurantia in the school caffateria to impress my friends

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I dropped a roach in my D. dehaani's enclosure about a week after I got it, the enclosure was too short and it got spooked and flew right over the side. A chase ensued and I ended up removing it from my drapes. Throughout the entire episode I was on the phone and I think that person could testify that I picked up my grandpa's vocabulary, who used to be a trucker in Mexico. It didn't take me more than 3 days to have a much much taller enclosure set up for the bugger.

TMO

Arachnopeon
I left the enclosure open and let a pink toe out in my classroom. I chased it around under desks for several minutes while students ran and screamed! Luckily it was after school and there were only a few kids in for tutorials.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I jerked my hand when a H mac sling jumped on it and launched it across the room. I've jerked the tongs before and pulled a C marshalli out of its tank to fall 4 ft to the carpet. I've kept a cage too stuffy, made some vent holes too big, dropped spiders that bolted on me.

Stuff happens. Best to learn from it.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
I thought my chalcodes was eating her leg one day and freaked out for a solid 15 minutes before I realized she was just grooming.

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
1. The day I got my P.miranda 5/$100 deal I set up the enclosures and I thought the holes were fine but I was a little worried. Fast forward 2 hours and one of my p.miranda slings we're gone. Never to be seen again.
2. When I was younger I loved jumping spiders specifically P.audax. well one day I caught one and this damn thing looks at me and bites. It was the most tramatic experience I think ive ever had with a spider. The worst was when a wasp flew up my shirt on my back and stung me.
3. When I was like 14 I free handled a B.jacksoni (not the worst but still stupid)

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Rehousing huntsman without a catch cup on a cluttered table. Those little suckers make Tapinauchenius look like snails when it comes to speed. Thankfully I found the one that decided to make a break for it.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Last night I noticed a weird spot on one of my WC female C. gracilis (scorpion)...went to take her out of the communal tank and put her in a clear tupperware container to get a better look... she FREAKED out when I picked her up with tongs and slipped out of their grasp, landing behind the tank, scuttled off the stand I have the tank on, down to the floor and my fiance and I spent 5 minutes trying to find her (whilst leaving the communal tank lid open, fortunately nothing is close enough to the top for any to climb out). Once we found her (snuggled up against the leg of my glass table) she bolted towards my laundry room. FINALLY caught her...only to find out I grabbed the wrong dang scorpion.... I said the heck with it, put her back in with the other 3. Lesson learned, place said tank in an enclosed area and leaving lids open, even while in panic mode, is a dumb thing to do. instead of 1 loose, I could have had all 4 in my living room.

1 of my Satan spawn B. vagans attacked the straw I had attached to the end of my tongs and drug it down its burrow for 2 days before I could get it out. Tank maintenance of any sort was a nightmare.

Did a rehouse for one of my P. irminia females...generally she's always stayed in her cork tube and I'm able to move the cork tube in the bigger enclosure, wait for her to come out then take out the smaller tube.... This time, however, she decided in mid way of being moved out of the old enclosure she would pop out on the cork tube... startled me as she ran towards me.... in some cases...even the longest tongs are still not long enough rofl! Anywho, made a run (teleported) down the stand, stopped right on my bare foot.... sweat beads were on my forehead...thought for sure I was gonna get bitten. Thank god for catch cups cause once she moved off my foot, she went straight up the side of my couch and BOOM, right into the catch cup.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Well this is entertaining.

I had an issue rehousing an adult gbb at one point. Had the top lid of the enclosure wide open. I thought there was only one way out of her hide but turns out she had made a backdoor as well. I was removing a bunch of webbing at the front of the hide and she bolted out the backside, up and out of the enclosure, across the floor and under a filing cabinet that had about a 2” clearance above the floor. I had to fish her out with a coat hanger.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
I regulary use my hands as a catch cup
I relate to this a lot atm haha, my h.petersii sling recently made a run for it during feeding.. plonked off the shelf and ran behind my bed with my in a mad panic perusing it and finally managed to stop it, tried to scoop it up and it stung my right on my hand haha! ahwell atleast it didnt hurt too bad! And the scorpion was safely returned home.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Forgetting to replace lids/make sure they are secure has been my weakness. I've had seven escapes from that. Three tarantulas, two Asian forest scorps and my snake (twice!). In every case I was incredibly lucky and retrieved them. Haven't had an incident in a while, so...hey, what just ran across my foot?!?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I dropped a roach in my D. dehaani's enclosure about a week after I got it, the enclosure was too short and it got spooked and flew right over the side. A chase ensued and I ended up removing it from my drapes. Throughout the entire episode I was on the phone and I think that person could testify that I picked up my grandpa's vocabulary, who used to be a trucker in Mexico. It didn't take me more than 3 days to have a much much taller enclosure set up for the bugger.
That happened to me too! When I first got my dehanni it bolted out of its enclosure and ran up into my bed nearly. Had the lid of the container as my tool to get it back into its cave. Bought a taller enclosure 2 days later. Also I disturbed my scolopendra polymorpha mojavie patternless when she was on eggs and she ate them. Lost a couple latrodectus to crickets left overnight in the enclosure. When I was rehousing my p. Regalis it ran up the tongs. I’ve had a huntsman and a ctenus captiosus run across the floor once or twice during feeding. Fun times!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well isn't technically a 'stupid move' because ain't sure if that was my fault to begin with since I was caught in a pure surprise effect but anyway, I basically lived (with my cats as well) with a S.subspinipes pedeling on the loose for months.

Once, while I was in the garden, at night, with one of my cats, we saw - :rofl: - a Scolopendridae crawling out of the main door (I suspect he/she lived in the little, darky and noiseless, cellar I have under the stairs, where there's plenty of roaches to eat as well) and

• That wasn't anymore a pedeling
  • I'm 100% sure that, no, wasn't one of those European, quite harmless, 'pede

Anyway, while he/she claimed his/her freedom in my garden, I realized that the pedelings I've managed to caught, pack, and ship weren't exactly the number believed :angelic:

One thing, however, joking aside... those animals are class A, superior, Ninja. Forget all the fear/panic statements etc you can read, they wouldn't 'chase' you, maybe at night time while sleeping or whatnot, instead, they will seriously stay away, and Ninja-hiding, from 'you'.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Well isn't technically a 'stupid move' because ain't sure if that was my fault to begin with since I was caught in a pure surprise effect but anyway, I basically lived (with my cats as well) with a S.subspinipes pedeling on the loose for months.

Once, while I was in the garden, at night, with one of my cats, we saw - :rofl: - a Scolopendridae crawling out of the main door (I suspect he/she lived in the little, darky and noiseless, cellar I have under the stairs, where there's plenty of roaches to eat as well) and

• That wasn't anymore a pedeling
  • I'm 100% sure that, no, wasn't one of those European, quite harmless, 'pede

Anyway, while he/she claimed his/her freedom in my garden, I realized that the pedelings I've managed to caught, pack, and ship weren't exactly the number believed :angelic:

One thing, however, joking aside... those animals are class A, superior, Ninja. Forget all the fear/panic statements etc you can read, they wouldn't 'chase' you, they will stay away, and Ninja-hiding, instead, from 'you'.

I love This story and I’ve read it posted at least a dozen different times! We should have a collection of stories pinned somewhere. Your centipede and her progeny are like urban legends I swear..