1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupidest thing youve ever done while careing for Ts and other inverts

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Wolfspidurguy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Advertisement
    Ah ah seriously that was awesome :kiss: but even when all of those (already somewhat nasty) pedelings jumped out from the holes, lol

I keep saying to myself: 'What if that evening I wasn't at home?' :playful:

I do remember that day like yesterday. I was in front of the PC, typing random stuff here on this site. Lights off. Then I saw something moving! :angelic:

• Like Like x 2
  2. NYAN

NYAN Arachnodemon Active Member

CA
    If you weren’t home, they would’ve all crawled into your ears and nose while you slept and taken over your brain. They would use your body as a mechanism to conquer the world via mind control. Eventually after rising to power they would make it required for everyone to be a host to a centipede to achieve world domination. Eventually they would take over the solar system and galaxy. There would be a forum for centipedes inside of humans just like this where they buy and sell us and talk about the dumbest things they’ve ever done caring for their humans.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

I would love to end like Date Shigezane... love the 'pede on his arm :playful:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I actually did the same thing with my S. dehaani. I was cleaning some mold out of the enclosure and lifted a piece of cork bark to check under it and there she was all around her eggs. I put the bark back and later on I saw her patrolling the enclosure looking for food, without any eggs. I really questioned my abilities after that but I learned the lesson of "if it's not out in the open don't bother it" the hard way. I hear these guys can lay multiple clutches though so if I'm lucky maybe next spring I'll be able to get some pedelings.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NYAN

CA
    This is the second time a pede of mine ate her eggs, the first time wasn’t my fault since she was on them when I bought her. Yes indeed they hold sperm, hopefully we both get another chance. Sucks though..

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    In the meantime I bought an H. davidbowie from a pet store that has now been sitting on a sack for close to a month. I think if she's made it this long my chances of getting the slings are pretty good. I've gotten slings from a local wolf spider and a Latrodectus species, but this will be the first "exotic"

7. NYAN

CA
    Right, I read your post about it. Does the sac look darker in color yet? I have a davidbowie currently, its about 1/4 of an inch currently.

8. Element

Element Arachnopeon

Oh my I’ve done some stupid things:usually only once!!! Two weeks into my first T’s, I tried to get a late roach out of my C. Versicolor’s web and spooked it out onto my hand, squealed like a little girl, flung it off onto my pants. Finally got my wits about me and scooped it back into the enclosure.

I decided to look away while tong feeding an E Murinus adult female (won’t do that again)

I left my G. Pulchripes enclosure with the lid off this morning. (First time I’ve done that) it was still happily sitting in its burrow this evening when I got home from work.

9. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoprince Active Member

Looks like a fun game:cat:

• Like Like x 1
  10. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

Hm...left lid open on enclosure for a P. muticus sling, left cage unlocked with a P. murinus juvie. Thankfully I caught both in time...
    But what takes the cake for me (recently) was I tried to experiment a little, and got a clear plastic tube to try out as a hide for a P. vittata juvie. I was already planning on getting a cork tube but with all the timings I wasn't able to get one until the next week. And yeah it didn't really take (it's new home it has webbed all up which makes me happy).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnoknight Active Member

Iowa
    Hands down the dumbest thing I did was stick my arm up to my elbow in an enclosure to add foliage, hand inches away from a 4" P. regalis in heavy, heavy premolt.

She'd been sealed away in her cork tube for almost a month at least and I realized how barren her enclosure was, so I thought it'd be a good time to get in there and do it. Thank god it went without issue, but looking back on it I can't believe I did something that stupid. If I had been wrong about her still being in premolt and entirely uninterested in food, my fingers may have seemed like a nice snack, or she could have been in the process of molting and been disturbed by my fussing.

Outside of that, though, I have yet to do anything dumb enough to be share-worthy. :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Get complacent with my C. huahini and end up having to spend 20 minutes ripping my room apart to recapture her.
    Make the vent holes for my C. elegans sling enclosures too big and have them both escape.

Did this with my N. chromatus, she landed on a slipper rather than the carpet though.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Lucky us. Makes me wonder just how resilient these things can be to falls.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoprince Active Member

I had a large 7” P. Plotoyoma
    pinkbloom escapees somehow in-injured. It was not as fat as now , shocking such a big spider could escape and I caught it took a day or less. Lid locks now!!!

15. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Better a large spider than a sling imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Tearsacid

Tearsacid Arachnopeon

Texas
    This

I used to just leave lids sitting on top of the cups/jars as to not disturb the Ts right after they catch their prey. Unfortunately, sometimes you forget to close them for a day & you end up finding missing Ts a few weeks later X_X

Don't handle Ts over hard flooring... especially large ones. Don't feed flighty slings without a catch cup & better yet within a larger container. Don't put your jars on a shelf with a cat around...

17. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Stupidest thing I've done (more than once) is underestimate whatever's in the enclosure.

Not long after being in the hobby, I left the lid of my LP sling enclosure completely open not thinking it would be able to climb the walls. You can all guess what happened. Luckily I found her not long after I noticed her missing.

A more recent mistake was trusting my madagascar hissing cockroaches with an unsecured lid while I rehoused them all. I was moving them one by one so I could inspect them, and got momentarily distracted watching them explore their new home. The unsecured lid of their old home was light enough that the few left were able to push it out of the way and make a daring escape. I thought I had caught them before any actually made it out, but a few days later I received a shock when I was refilling my clear rabbit food bin and noticed a large male sitting under it, minus an antenna

• Like Like x 1
  18. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    Unintentionally letting my P. atrichromatus swipe the tongs out of my hand during feeding.

Losing an entire box of enclosures right before a rehouse.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

I think they can probably take a bit of a knock provided they don't land abdomen-first, not something I'd particularly like to test though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnobaron

my friend learned this the hard way when he was watching my real first T (i tell everyone my first t was my B albo i got last year but my real first T was a Grammostola rosea i had when i was about 7 but i didnt care for it and it became my moms T that i would handle every once in a while) while i was moveing to Tennessee but like 2 years ago i asked my mom "what ever happened to spike" (original name TM plz dont steal property of wolfspidurguy C R TM i named it after how its legs felt spiky on my skin) and she told me it had been dead for years after my friend was handleing it and it fell on hard tile or wood floor and my mom foegot to tell me (thats ADHD for you)

woah ive never heard of one of those biteing what was the experience like

Ok so i was cleaning the poop out of my a avics enclosure and when i as putting my avic back into its enclosure i had my head right behind it leaning centimeters away from the container it was in and pokeing its legs it got startled and jumped a bit but no complications other than that. only after it was in the enclosure did i realize how i was set up for a face full of hairs thank the tarantula gods a avics are so unlikely to flick hairs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2018 at 2:06 AM
    • Like Like x 1