Stupid Internet People and Tarantulas

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
In a large percentage of idiots doing creating stupid tarantula videos, I think I've noticed a common denominator that seems to differ slightly between the sexes. For females, they often dress provocatively and try to be "not like other girls" or "edgy", if that makes sense. For males, you often shirtless trashy people covered in questionable tattoos who are clearly suffering from testosterone poisoning and trying to prove how macho they are. Bonus points if the background has dirty laundry strewn on the floor or if there's an old mattress propped against the wall. I was watching the Cringey Tarantula Videos thread the other day and this seems to be common! One thing common to all of these people is that they always make sure to emphasize how dangerous they think the tarantula is. I'm always amazed at how much the tarantulas tolerate from these people when they obviously deserve a nasty bite.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
In a large percentage of idiots doing creating stupid tarantula videos, I think I've noticed a common denominator that seems to differ slightly between the sexes. For females, they often dress provocatively and try to be "not like other girls" or "edgy", if that makes sense. For males, you often shirtless trashy people covered in questionable tattoos who are clearly suffering from testosterone poisoning and trying to prove how macho they are. Bonus points if the background has dirty laundry strewn on the floor or if there's an old mattress propped against the wall. I was watching the Cringey Tarantula Videos thread the other day and this seems to be common! One thing common to all of these people is that they always make sure to emphasize how dangerous they think the tarantula is. I'm always amazed at how much the tarantulas tolerate from these people when they obviously deserve a nasty bite.
It’s an utter shame how our society objectifies animals who don’t have recognisable human traits. PETA and other animal charities would be all over these idiots were they doing this or similarly stressful stunts to ‘more human’ animals. Rather ironic considering the whole ‘speciesism’ campaign I’ve seen many endorse...

Certain suppliers ought to do what I’ve seen many fish suppliers practice, inquire as to whether the client has an appropriate setup ready for the T and is well aware of the do’s and don’ts. Such as eating your pet.

arctichen

Arachnopeon
PETA and other animal charities would be all over these idiots were they doing this or similarly stressful stunts to ‘more human’ animals.
Well, I don't know if I would 100% trust PETA with my T's :embarrassed:
You remember when they let out these salt water lobsters into fresh water?

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
There's a theory that PETA is just a front for undercovers from the meat lobby, to make vegans/animal rights activists look as bad as possible.
From the crap I've heard about them, it wouldn't surprise me.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Since it is related to this thread, may I just say that I'm starting to really notice the cringe that comes with many tarantula Facebook groups.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
You didn't notice it before?
No, not until I really started contributing information more frequently. I honestly can't believe some of the advice I've read over the past few weeks to various posts.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Yes, I despise them but was using them as an example for they have a tendency to get very heated when they don’t like something. And there’s lots they’ve shown opposition too...

I also remember a tweet/post they made against tarantula keepers for ‘imprisoning these wild and intelligent animals used to roaming hundreds of miles at night in a small plastic boxes’ or something along those lines:rofl:

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
No, not until I really started contributing information more frequently. I honestly can't believe some of the advice I've read over the past few weeks to various posts.
I know a member of one of such groups handling a T.Albop on their face, the admin (who is a good keeper from what I’ve seen) commented against such practice and the OP responded with ‘well how do they survive in the wild then’

The responded with the obvious ‘your T is classified as a terrestrial for a reason’. The OP then took to the admins PM and spamming insults etc.for him being ‘hostile’. The idiocy was unbearable...

Reddit is another example, if you feel like arguing about stupid things r/Tarantulas has you covered...

Last edited:

fried rice

Arachnoknight
I know a member of one of such groups handling a T.Albop on their face, the admin (who is a good keeper from what I’ve seen) commented against such practice and the OP responded with ‘well how do they survive in the wild then’

The responded with the obvious ‘your T is classified as a terrestrial for a reason’. The OP then took to the admins PM and spamming insults etc.for him being ‘hostile’. The idiocy was unbearable...

Reddit is another example, if you feel like arguing about stupid things r/Tarantulas has you covered...
Reddit is the worst website to ever exist.

arctichen

Arachnopeon
Send me a link please, I feel like cringing right now

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
[Deleted], a keyboard mishap led to unintentional response. Any mods please delete this reply.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
This thread is a collection of gossip about people who are looking for a reason to spend a week in a hospital, and writeup an amazing
“How Stupid am I?” Bite Report.

arctichen

Arachnopeon
Someone on another forum I'm a member of actually asked what "breeds" were good for doing stunts like that. Apparently a tarantula walking out of someone's mouth is considered a form of art.
Should've said Pterinochilus murinus

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
There's a theory that PETA is just a front for undercovers from the meat lobby, to make vegans/animal rights activists look as bad as possible.
From the crap I've heard about them, it wouldn't surprise me.
It wouldn't surprise me, tbh. I've never met a self-respecting vegan (myself included) who supports PETA and their practices. I've seen a few online, but that hardly counts.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
I’m just concnered, especialy since it’s a nw and those things have urticating hairs...now imagine if someone tried that with a theraphosa or geniculata and it decided to kick a couple hairs while in their mouth
LOL that would be a good laugh