Stupid Internet People and Tarantulas

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
here you post ridiculous things you've seen about tarantulas on the internet.
i'll start
I think there’s already a thread for this. Look for “cringy tarantula videos”. It’s hard to get through.

here you post ridiculous things you've seen about tarantulas on the internet.
i'll start
OH and that Brian whatshisname is INSUFFERABLE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Far too many to list. Those who fall into the following categories...
1. Put tarantulas on their heads, faces, or in their mouths for social media.
2. Handle medically significant species on social media.
3. Those people who like to say that they can get away with both because they know what they're doing and imply everyone else doesn't. That's not a disclaimer, that is called a challenge. You are not a spider whisperer and you're not brave.
4. People who give poor husbandry information on YouTube and then make the excuse that they can do that, because they are for entertainment and it isn't their fault that people follow their example. Again, not a disclaimer, just an excuse not to do better.
5. Pet-tubers, or people who just exploit/antagonize/provoke animals on a whole on YouTube for entertainment - usually easy to spot due to the awful, cheap, clickbait that they use.

Last edited:

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I think there’s already a thread for this. Look for “cringy tarantula videos”. It’s hard to get through.
i've been there. this is a different concept. this is general stupid things. it can even be from this site.

Far too many to list. Those who fall into the following categories...
1. Put tarantulas on their heads, faces, or in their mouths for social media.
2. Handle medically significant species on social media.
3. Those people who like to say that they can get away with both because they know what they're doing and imply everyone else doesn't. That's not a disclaimer, that is called a challenge. You are not a spider whisperer and you're not brave.
4. People who give poor husbandry information on YouTube and then make the excuse that they can do that, because they are for entertainment and it isn't their fault that people follow their example. Again, not a disclaimer, just an excuse not to do better.
5 Pet-tubers, or people who just exploit/antagonize/provoke animals on a whole on YouTube for entertainment - usually easy to spot due to the awful, cheap, clickbait that they use.
handling irks me pretty hard.
but worse is when people make an excuse for it.
the excuse of an animal ambassador is pretty stupid too.
my little brother once did a big school project on tarantulas and brought my avic to DISPLAY to the people. He went to an elementary school to do a presentation as part of his project and all that was done was the kids could see my avic. NEVER did it leave the enclosure.
My brother "owns" my B smithi (I tend to just do it's maintenance with my other Ts because it's convenient) and is well versed in tarantulas...by me...who doesn't stop talking about them...
BUT my point is that animals can be displayed as beautiful without being taken out of their homes and handled.
handling is purely selfish and unethical.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
69769369_2897919636888123_6858693567733301248_n.jpg

FB is just rife with stupidity tbh.

People who moan about the "substrate police".
People who think you're some kind of animal abuser if you don't keep your entire collection in oversized/overpriced glass enclosures.
Handling OWs or tarantula on face pics.
People who parrot outdated information.

BenWilly

Tarantula Hillbilly
View attachment 319728

FB is just rife with stupidity tbh.
People who think you're some kind of animal abuser if you don't keep your entire collection in oversized/overpriced glass enclosures.
This is the thing I see most, people get so mad when I tell them their 4" A seemani doesnt need a 20 gallon aquarium. One guy got so angry a while back he actually was saying he wanted to "hunt me down" and take all my T's away from me for keeping them in sterlite containers lol.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
This is the thing I see most, people get so mad when I tell them their 4" A seemani doesnt need a 20 gallon aquarium. One guy got so angry a while back he actually was saying he wanted to "hunt me down" and take all my T's away from me for keeping them in sterlite containers lol.
lmao this insane.
I guess if it's a crime most keepers are criminals.
(oddly I feel like those are the same people that believe handling Ts creates bonds with their keepers...:banghead:)

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Hahaha wow. You could probably keep a T in a shoebox if it had enough space and ventilation. (Halfway joking)

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
lmao this insane.
(oddly I feel like those are the same people that believe handling Ts creates bonds with their keepers...:banghead:)
I think I saw a YouTube video of a guy with a T in a glass aquarium that had no substrate and a couple of pebbles and he was talking about how he handles the spider to “tame” it.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep all 14 of mine in Sterlite containers too. We should start a club and really put him over the edge. lol.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Heard* lol
Yes, saw one horrific video of him on Youtube of him holding a G. porteri, an A. chalchodes, and some other third tarantula all on the same arm. And he kept calling the A. chalcodes a Palomino Blonde, a common name he apparently made up himself.
:banghead:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Yes, saw one horrific video of him on Youtube of him holding a G. porteri, an A. chalchodes, and some other third tarantula all on the same arm. And he kept calling the A. chalcodes a Palomino Blonde, a common name he apparently made up himself.
Palomino Blonde is an outdated common name for that species - he didn't make it up himself. Obviously, this idiot looks to another idiot for his tarantula information...

That is because they're reptile/snake people who don't know enough about tarantula behaviour to understand that they don't require the same amount of space that snakes do.
I do not support keeping snakes in racks. I understand that breeders might do so for a limited amount of time, but I don't support the practice by hobbyists. Just like I don't support tarantula hobbyists in keeping juveniles and adults in deli cups all their lives. Snakes behave much differently to tarantulas and will take advantage of the room far more so than a tarantula will. This is just another case where someone has applied reptile/snake husbandry to a completely different type of animal and doesn't want to learn anything.

Last edited:

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Palomino Blonde is an outdated common name for that species - he didn't make it up himself. Obviously, this idiot looks to another idiot for his tarantula information...

That is because they're reptile/snake people who don't know enough about tarantula behaviour to understand that they don't require the same amount of space that snakes do.
I do not support keeping snakes in racks. I understand that breeders might do so for a limited amount of time, but I don't support the practice by hobbyists. Just like I don't support tarantula hobbyists in keeping juveniles and adults in deli cups all their lives. Snakes behave much differently to tarantulas and will take advantage of the room far more so than a tarantula will. This is just another case where someone has applied reptile/snake husbandry to a completely different type of animal and doesn't want to learn anything.
BREEDS??

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I think I saw a YouTube video of a guy with a T in a glass aquarium that had no substrate and a couple of pebbles and he was talking about how he handles the spider to “tame” it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they also had a heat lamp.
that's a yikes for me.
yes, and I'll be soon selling some super gold glowing sun knee tarantulas (B. albo) :troll: (WARNING: this is a joke I don't own a b. albo)

IM ABOUT TO HAVE AN ANEURYSM
hurr duurr shollow dish durr sponge
hurr durr i keep it in sand
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
an IQ test should be required to own a T

BenWilly

Tarantula Hillbilly
lmao this insane.
Its amazing you said that!! The SAME GUY said almost exactly that!! He was even boasting how he "tamed" his C. lividum (lividus?). Said she finally let him get her up and she was a "sweet heart" . I told him he was an idiot and was doing a bad thing for the hobby but of course he "knows what he's doing and if more tarantula owner held their tarantulas then maybe the hobby would be seen in a better way with a more "hands on" approach ! He is a complete moron !