Stromatopelma calceatum escapee

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
We can't even confirm for certain how many people died in the Ebola outbreak in West Africa with the entire world watching, but hell... a couple of spider bites could never go undetected! Because thousands of people dying of Hemorrhagic Fever are far more likely to go unnoticed, and unreported, than a handful of spider bite deaths.
That is not logical.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29628481

From the link above...
"How many people have died from Ebola in West Africa?
It sounds an easy question, but the answer is certainly not.
The most recent official figure from the World Health Organization puts the number of deaths at 4,493.
But 12,000 could be a better estimate. Getting to this figure highlights a number of issues with the Ebola data."

"However, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea have some of the worst-funded healthcare systems in the world.
We know people are contracting the disease, and dying from it, without being noticed."
Right, so i still don't know why you find this so hard to grasp.

Phillip went to the area in which these spiders are endemic, and where they cause multiple bites per year. Just in his short trip, 9 people were bitten!

Now over the 100's of years, people have been collecting the produce from these trees, 100's if not 1000's of people would've been bitten by these tarantulas. But conveniently Agent K and Agent J came with their Neuralyzer to make sure every one who knew of a tarantula related death, lost their memory. They also went to other countries where old worlds occur and made sure no one could speak of such things ever again. But they allowed people in remote locations to remember deaths from other sp of animals, like snakes or scorpions.

Of course not, if a death had happened in the past, those people he met with would've had stories to tell - but they didn't.

People pass down stories to each generation, it's how tribes people survive. They teach their young children to fear animals x, y and z, for their safety. Such as in South America where i have been on expeditions - the local indigenous folk fear the Lachesis sp - as they can kill, and people have died. These are not people who have access to health care.

Tarantulas are not feared, anywhere. They do not command fear, as they do not posses the tools to kill a healthy human. It is that simple. You can keep thinking you keep very dangerous animals, I bet you love telling friends and family "but this can kill".

I could do the same for my leopard gecko, i could potentially get an infection if one were to bite me, and that infection may kill me. So let me start by calling my leopard geckos potentially life threatening from now on haha. Anything can be bloody potentially life threatening given the right parameters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-olds-munch-tarantulas-Cambodian-jungle.html

That article, young children are finding old world tarantulas to eat in Cambodia - they wouldn't be out hunting a Bungarus sp or any other sp of animals in Cambodia that are actually life threatening. Don't you think when news companies go there to take pictures etc, they would tell them that some of their family have died digging out tarantulas as a result of a bite? They would, the news companies would love to make a story out of that.

The only means we have of determining how dangerous an animal is by means of it's venom, is the rough approximation called LD.50 and known deaths. Plenty of keepers have been bitten by old worlds and S.cal, plenty of people have been bitten by old worlds and S.cal in countries where they're endemic. Yet no one has a single death to report at all. Funny huh.

The LD.50 is around 8.1 mg/kg for a young female, and 9.5 mg/kg for an adult male.

The max average yield from a young female is 18.7 mg - thus it is able to kill a 2.3kg human (LOL).

The max yield obtained from a young female, was 46.6 mg - able to kill a 5.75kg human

The max average yield from an adult male 13.4 mg - able to kill a 1.4kg human

The max yield obtained from an adult male 49.6 mg - able to kill a 5.22 kg human

This paper outlines what i have stated above:

Venom of an aggressive African Theraphosidae (Scodra griseipes): milking the venom, a study of its toxicity and its characterization

It can be bought here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/004101019390113W

I have access to the document through my university, I don't think I'm allowed to share it - legally without permission from Toxicon (Elsevier).

As you can see, not a life threatening animal in 99.99% of cases. But sure if you want to make things up with little to no scientific reasoning - go ahead, feel like I'm talking to a religious group that base their beliefs off speculation.

They deserve respect, just for the fact they can ruin your day. As can snakes such as Boiga dendrophila. But to describe them as life threatening in general terms, is absolutely absurd.

Last edited:

tnerd93

Arachnopeon
i know, but why hold it? just useless and dumb.
why not? its cute

you've never driven over the speed limit? that's dumb, you could have crash and killed yourself

you've never drunk too much alcohol? that's dumb, you could have slipped and killed yourself

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz boring

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
why not? its cute

you've never driven over the speed limit? that's dumb, you could have crash and killed yourself

you've never drunk too much alcohol? that's dumb, you could have slipped and killed yourself

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz boring
Sure, because those are totally equal analogies.

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
Right, so i still don't know why you find this so hard to grasp.

Phillip went to the area in which these spiders are endemic, and where they cause multiple bites per year. Just in his short trip, 9 people were bitten!

Now over the 100's of years, people have been collecting the produce from these trees, 100's if not 1000's of people would've been bitten by these tarantulas. But conveniently Agent K and Agent J came with their Neuralyzer to make sure every one who knew of a tarantula related death, lost their memory. They also went to other countries where old worlds occur and made sure no one could speak of such things ever again. But they allowed people in remote locations to remember deaths from other sp of animals, like snakes or scorpions.

Of course not, if a death had happened in the past, those people he met with would've had stories to tell - but they didn't.

People pass down stories to each generation, it's how tribes people survive. They teach their young children to fear animals x, y and z, for their safety. Such as in South America where i have been on expeditions - the local indigenous folk fear the Lachesis sp - as they can kill, and people have died. These are not people who have access to health care.

Tarantulas are not feared, anywhere. They do not command fear, as they do not posses the tools to kill a healthy human. It is that simple. You can keep thinking you keep very dangerous animals, I bet you love telling friends and family "but this can kill".

I could do the same for my leopard gecko, i could potentially get an infection if one were to bite me, and that infection may kill me. So let me start by calling my leopard geckos potentially life threatening from now on haha. Anything can be bloody potentially life threatening given the right parameters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-olds-munch-tarantulas-Cambodian-jungle.html

That article, young children are finding old world tarantulas to eat in Cambodia - they wouldn't be out hunting a Bungarus sp or any other sp of animals in Cambodia that are actually life threatening. Don't you think when news companies go there to take pictures etc, they would tell them that some of their family have died digging out tarantulas as a result of a bite? They would, the news companies would love to make a story out of that.

The only means we have of determining how dangerous an animal is by means of it's venom, is the rough approximation called LD.50 and known deaths. Plenty of keepers have been bitten by old worlds and S.cal, plenty of people have been bitten by old worlds and S.cal in countries where they're endemic. Yet no one has a single death to report at all. Funny huh.

The LD.50 is around 8.1 mg/kg for a young female, and 9.5 mg/kg for an adult male.

The max average yield from a young female is 18.7 mg - thus it is able to kill a 2.3kg human (LOL).

The max yield obtained from a young female, was 46.6 mg - able to kill a 5.75kg human

The max average yield from an adult male 13.4 mg - able to kill a 1.4kg human

The max yield obtained from an adult male 49.6 mg - able to kill a 5.22 kg human

This paper outlines what i have stated above:

Venom of an aggressive African Theraphosidae (Scodra griseipes): milking the venom, a study of its toxicity and its characterization

It can be bought here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/004101019390113W

I have access to the document through my university, I don't think I'm allowed to share it - legally without permission from Toxicon (Elsevier).

As you can see, not a life threatening animal in 99.99% of cases. But sure if you want to make things up with little to no scientific reasoning - go ahead, feel like I'm talking to a religious group that base their beliefs off speculation.

They deserve respect, just for the fact they can ruin your day. As can snakes such as Boiga dendrophila. But to describe them as life threatening in general terms, is absolutely absurd.
Well said. I'm virtually hugging you right now.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
you're right actually because handling this t is far less dangerous to my life than the other two :) thanks for pointing it out
I'll drive 30 in a 25 every day of my life before I handle my S. calceatum. Feel free to handle yours though and report your findings.

tnerd93

Arachnopeon
I'll drive 30 in a 25 every day of my life before I handle my S. calceatum. Feel free to handle yours though and report your findings.
dude im pretty sure you and others on here have driven at 90+mph on the highways

that is dangerous, way more dangerous than handling some tarantula lol

speed kills, tarantulas dont :)

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
dude im pretty sure you and others on here have driven at 90+mph on the highways

speed kills, tarantulas dont :)
That's brilliant. I wasn't aware you were psychic and knew details about my driving habits.

Stromatopelma calceatum is not 'some tarantula'

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
You promised, and yet you're still posting on this thread. You got our hopes up, and then...
Because you lot keep replying with ridiculous responses, spreading misinformation about species that you supposedly know a lot about. It must hurt having less information about venom's of tarantulas than someone who has only kept them for 6 months.

What a witty response by the way, top marks, something i would expect from a 5 year old. Round of applause.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I don't know if this comes from keeping highly venomous snakes for so many years or the literature I have read, I think safety concerns with Tarantulas are overhyped in this forum.

I have a genetics degree, life sciences are my primary interest and I know that any foreign protein can be lethal via various mechanisms but in general, I am not concerned with tarantula venom for healthy adult humans.

Sick people, allergic people, babies are of course a different matter and as a father to a 6 month old, I wouldn't want an adult specimen from this species roaming around in my house.

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
You promised, and yet you're still posting on this thread. You got our hopes up, and then...
I always dislike it when a person calls someone else out for not leaving when they said they were going to. What is it to you? Maybe there was something else of his interest. People normally don't claim to leave unless they at some point were going to, but they are also free to cancel that and continue the conversation any time they want without having to explain why.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I always dislike it when a person calls someone else out for not leaving when they said they were going to. What is it to you? Maybe there was something else of his interest. People normally don't claim to leave unless they at some point were going to, but they are also free to cancel that and continue the conversation any time they want without having to explain why.

You're free to dislike what you want, and I dislike it when someone doesn't do what they say they're going to do. Not only isn't he listening to what we're saying, he's not listening to what he's saying.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

The difference being that the vast majority of the time a person drives 90 on the freeway, nothing's going to happen. The majority of time someone gets nailed by an adult Stromatopelma, something very painful and unpleasant will happen. Not a good analogy.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Maybe to you. try having an open mind, and listening to experienced keepers.
It's got absolutely nothing to do with having an open mind or listening to experienced keepers.

These experienced keepers have so far had little substance to actually add to the debate, except "they have killed we just don't know it".

My last main comment is backed by science, unlike the tosh that these "experienced keepers" are spewing out.

You're free to dislike what you want, and I dislike it when someone doesn't do what they say they're going to do. Not only isn't he listening to what we're saying, he's not listening to what he's saying.
You haven't said anything of merit, at all. You're an experienced keeper, but know very little in terms of actual science. You're experienced in the keeping, not the actual toxicology side, that much is evident in your posts.

Unlike my posts which clearly state just how dangerous these animals are, with real data and accounts, written by people with far more knowledge than you or i.

I could also say "false water cobras have killed before, but no one has reported a death, so we must label them life threatening" - anyone with any sort of mental capacity, can see that's an absolute joke.