Stromatopelma calceatum escapee

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
6 months in the hobby and you're an expert. Boy, have we seen that before.
Where did i say i was an expert? I'm just stating a clear fact, that i evidently know more about tarantula venoms than yourself.

I never said i know more about you with regards to the keeping of tarantulas.

And most certainly, hobbyists are no experts.

Last edited:

kooky

Arachnosquire
not attempting to pick a fight, but i dont see anything wrong with him saying he knows a lot about venom after 6 months. Thats a very scientific areas that can be learnt faster than other area imo. At least he wasn't saying he was an expert on keeping t's or something. But again im also new so im probs wrong. im actually finding this thread really interesting.

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
So there's not a chance someone who already knows a lot signs up here? Or do you assume all newbies here know nothing about tarantulas and can't be "experts"?

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
The difference being that the vast majority of the time a person drives 90 on the freeway, nothing's going to happen. The majority of time someone gets nailed by an adult Stromatopelma, something very painful and unpleasant will happen. Not a good analogy.
What a weird answer. Even if the odds would be higher with the tarantula, the consequences would be drastically different. One could lead to death whereas the second one would at most lead to short hospitalization.

tnerd93

Arachnopeon
lmao you are the supposed expert on here but have had next to nothing to add to this thread with any backing from scientific sources unlike this other guy

clearly you know about the keeping of tarantulas in captivity but not much else mate

kooky

Arachnosquire
What a weird answer. Even if the odds would be higher with the tarantula, the consequences would be drastically different. One could lead to death whereas the second one would at most lead to short hospitalization.
Well technically, a crash at 90 on the motorway could lead to multiple deaths in one go, in a worst case scenario. But i suppose if this t got into an old folks home it might happen.

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
And in traffic you are at risk injuring many others along the way, but with a tarantula, the only chances you are taking is with yourself.

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
Well technically, a crash at 90 on the motorway could lead to multiple deaths in one go, in a worst case scenario. But i suppose if this t got into an old folks home it might happen.
Just noticed this after my last reply. Let's hope these t's stay away from kids and old folks.

kooky

Arachnosquire
Just noticed this after my last reply. Let's hope these t's stay away from kids and old folks.
Well technically they should both stay away from a lot of things. Although ill be an old lady before i consider getting a t like this. Im not one for the defensive t's. Im all for pet rocks xD
The fastest thing i own is a .5" a.versicolour that actually doesn't move much, so yup, im hoping itll stay a blue rock xd

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
Well technically they should both stay away from a lot of things. Although ill be an old lady before i consider getting a t like this. Im not one for the defensive t's. Im all for pet rocks xD
The fastest thing i own is a .5" a.versicolour that actually doesn't move much, so yup, im hoping itll stay a blue rock xd
Same here, cute little lazy t's, they're the best :)

kooky

Arachnosquire
Same here, cute little lazy t's, they're the best :)
I have only had it for literally 48 hours so i hope it'll start making lovely webs soon. And that ya know, i dont kill it with crappy ventilation or something. xD -fingers crossed- for my little blue rock. its unbelievably beautiful even as a sling though.

tnerd93

Arachnopeon
Right, so i still don't know why you find this so hard to grasp.

Phillip went to the area in which these spiders are endemic, and where they cause multiple bites per year. Just in his short trip, 9 people were bitten!

Now over the 100's of years, people have been collecting the produce from these trees, 100's if not 1000's of people would've been bitten by these tarantulas. But conveniently Agent K and Agent J came with their Neuralyzer to make sure every one who knew of a tarantula related death, lost their memory. They also went to other countries where old worlds occur and made sure no one could speak of such things ever again. But they allowed people in remote locations to remember deaths from other sp of animals, like snakes or scorpions.

Of course not, if a death had happened in the past, those people he met with would've had stories to tell - but they didn't.

People pass down stories to each generation, it's how tribes people survive. They teach their young children to fear animals x, y and z, for their safety. Such as in South America where i have been on expeditions - the local indigenous folk fear the Lachesis sp - as they can kill, and people have died. These are not people who have access to health care.

Tarantulas are not feared, anywhere. They do not command fear, as they do not posses the tools to kill a healthy human. It is that simple. You can keep thinking you keep very dangerous animals, I bet you love telling friends and family "but this can kill".

I could do the same for my leopard gecko, i could potentially get an infection if one were to bite me, and that infection may kill me. So let me start by calling my leopard geckos potentially life threatening from now on haha. Anything can be bloody potentially life threatening given the right parameters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-olds-munch-tarantulas-Cambodian-jungle.html

That article, young children are finding old world tarantulas to eat in Cambodia - they wouldn't be out hunting a Bungarus sp or any other sp of animals in Cambodia that are actually life threatening. Don't you think when news companies go there to take pictures etc, they would tell them that some of their family have died digging out tarantulas as a result of a bite? They would, the news companies would love to make a story out of that.

The only means we have of determining how dangerous an animal is by means of it's venom, is the rough approximation called LD.50 and known deaths. Plenty of keepers have been bitten by old worlds and S.cal, plenty of people have been bitten by old worlds and S.cal in countries where they're endemic. Yet no one has a single death to report at all. Funny huh.

The LD.50 is around 8.1 mg/kg for a young female, and 9.5 mg/kg for an adult male.

The max average yield from a young female is 18.7 mg - thus it is able to kill a 2.3kg human (LOL).

The max yield obtained from a young female, was 46.6 mg - able to kill a 5.75kg human

The max average yield from an adult male 13.4 mg - able to kill a 1.4kg human

The max yield obtained from an adult male 49.6 mg - able to kill a 5.22 kg human

This paper outlines what i have stated above:

Venom of an aggressive African Theraphosidae (Scodra griseipes): milking the venom, a study of its toxicity and its characterization

It can be bought here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/004101019390113W

I have access to the document through my university, I don't think I'm allowed to share it - legally without permission from Toxicon (Elsevier).

As you can see, not a life threatening animal in 99.99% of cases. But sure if you want to make things up with little to no scientific reasoning - go ahead, feel like I'm talking to a religious group that base their beliefs off speculation.

They deserve respect, just for the fact they can ruin your day. As can snakes such as Boiga dendrophila. But to describe them as life threatening in general terms, is absolutely absurd.
this is the only comment in the thread which clearly outlines how dangerous these animals are and no one has been able to provide anything else convincing enough to say otherwise especially this poec guy

they'll ruin the rest of your week no doubt but thats about it really, some ts more than others

He had a Cobra collection in the past, man, he's used, like others here, to deal with venomous and the 'Hot' ones :-s
so? lol i just mean he doesnt know much about the scientific side as none of his responses included any science man just childish comments like a kid in a playground that cant come up with a proper defence of his pov

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
I have only had it for literally 48 hours so i hope it'll start making lovely webs soon. And that ya know, i dont kill it with crappy ventilation or something. xD -fingers crossed- for my little blue rock. its unbelievably beautiful even as a sling though.
I understand your excitement and congrats on your new little friend, hope all goes well with him! I can't wait to get a web spinning spider, I have a G.Porteri and they don't really spin, they just lay it on the ground like a mat, to collect insects. Have you posted a picture of yours?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

Human nature. People are more likely to risk doing something that has a very low probably of injury, than something that has a high probability of injury.

kooky

Arachnosquire
I understand your excitement and congrats on your new little friend, hope all goes well with him! I can't wait to get a web spinning spider, I have a G.Porteri and they don't really spin, they just lay it on the ground like a mat, to collect insects. Have you posted a picture of yours?
Yeah i think the avic's are some of the only arboreal im going to get. Which is fine because they are plenty beautiful for me. But ill see how it goes with this one first. I haven't posted a picture yet, maybe i will tonight.

CindyMoon

Arachnopeon
Yeah i think the avic's are some of the only arboreal im going to get. Which is fine because they are plenty beautiful for me. But ill see how it goes with this one first. I haven't posted a picture yet, maybe i will tonight.
I hope so :) (no pressure lol)

kooky

Arachnosquire
I hope so :) (no pressure lol)
Yeah im stressing so much about it. I'm constantly thinking, is is ventilated enough -sniffs substrate- ok it doesn't smell stagnant...but what if its too dry. maybe the water dish isn't humid enough! Its so hard to just sit and resist messing with it all the time as ik that'll just stress the little one out. I think when i've seen it eat ill be much more relaxed.