sp. Red name change?

dmac

Arachnopeon
So does anybody know of any recent papers that officially name E. sp. Red? My girlfriend just sent me a link to an online dealer where sp. Red is said to now be officially Euathlus condorito. But I also remember a thread here on AB at the beginning of the year where the OP stated that this year sp. Red would be officially named Homoeomma chilensis. Haven't found anything under that name on Google Scholar, so just wondering if anyone else has any recent info!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Euathlus sp. red/fire has been removed from Euathlus genus.

It is now Homoeomma sp. red/fire

dmac

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I knew of the E. sp. Red/H. sp. Red thing. My question has to do with an official name and if anyone has info about the species getting one this year. Someone on here in January said E./H. sp. Red would be officially named H. chilensis earlier this year. Can't find much other than the AB thread about it though when I search that name. Then a dealer here in the states is selling E./H. sp. Red as E. condorito right now. The description mentions there perhaps being a dozen species refered to as E. sp. Red and that the particular "sp. Red" they're selling has been named E. condorito. So I was wondering about an official name and whether anyone had sources for it.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah, I knew of the E. sp. Red/H. sp. Red thing. My question has to do with an official name and if anyone has info about the species getting one this year. Someone on here in January said E./H. sp. Red would be officially named H. chilensis earlier this year. Can't find much other than the AB thread about it though when I search that name. Then a dealer here in the states is selling E./H. sp. Red as E. condorito right now. The description mentions there perhaps being a dozen species refered to as E. sp. Red and that the particular "sp. Red" they're selling has been named E. condorito. So I was wondering about an official name and whether anyone had sources for it.
It hasnt been described yet. So it’s still H. sp. red

Euathlus condorito is a different species, from a different genus.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/questions-on-euathlus-sp-condorito.308505/

Hey all. I just came across a seller who has some Euathlus condorito slings for sale. I saw the pics and... it looks just like an Euathlus sp. red.

Does someone have experience keeping these guys? Are they as curious and inquisitive as the reds, or are they just similar in appearance? Are they one and the same? I appreciate any info. Thanks!!
No they are not similar to Homoeomma sp. red/fire (formerly labelled Euathlus sp. red/fire).

They grow bigger and look quite different. Euathlus condorito was formerly known as Euathlus sp. montane.
They are found in habitats high in mountains, in burrows under snow for most of the year.

As with most Euathlus, you can expect a curious yet forgiving nature.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Euathlus sp. red/fire has been removed from Euathlus genus.

It is now Homoeomma sp. red/fire
Scientifically? Or among hobbyists hah. Long ago on the forum I talked with someone who told me this was the case, but the hobby (wasn't sure about the scientists) had not done that, and the smart hobbyists stick with scientists terminology, not with the latest new thing they heard.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Scientifically? Or among hobbyists hah. Long ago on the forum I talked with someone who told me this was the case, but the hobby (wasn't sure about the scientists) had not done that, and the smart hobbyists stick with scientists terminology, not with the latest new thing they heard.
Well, it is still an undescribed species so hard to say exactly where it belongs. Chilean arachnologists have kept it as Homoeomma sp. fire/red the whole time. It seems others in the hobby wanted to change it to Euathlus. Too many features seem different to Euathlus imo.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Well, it is still an undescribed species so hard to say exactly where it belongs. Chilean arachnologists have kept it as Homoeomma sp. fire/red the whole time. It seems others in the hobby wanted to change it to Euathlus. Too many features seem different to Euathlus imo.
Since a diagnosis of the genus Homoeomma and Euathlus is out there, it’s really not that hard to tell what genus it belongs to. The male palpal bulb and female spermatheca morphology keys to Homoeomma. I will speculate that it was labeled as a Euathlus species because someone selling them guessed without checking and everyone else just played follow the leader.

Last edited:

dmac

Arachnopeon
Were there ever multiple species labeled "E./H. sp. Red?" As far as the dealer is concerned, that was the first I'd ever read of "sp. Red" potentially encompassing multiple species. Here's a portion of the ad:

"Euathlus/Homoeomma Sp. Red / Euathlus Red, Paraphysa sp. red etc. are terms often used in the to describe a "type" of tarantula typically native to Chile. We believe "Species Red" could include a dozen or more separate species."

In any case, thanks for the info. Still curious about the supposed official name H. chilensis. Maybe it got delayed, or isn't happening after all. None of you have heard anything about that?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This person I communicated with was either from S. America OR knew people there, so that falls in line.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Were there ever multiple species labeled "E./H. sp. Red?
Not sure exactly what you mean, BUT there are multiple small species out of Chile, all E sp. (insert color). At one point there were at least 12 or so, all different colors and such.

I know from a biologist there are people in S. America working on characterizing E. sp. Red finally, but as with all science, it takes a while.

dmac

Arachnopeon
Not sure exactly what you mean, BUT there are multiple small species out of Chile, all E sp. (insert color). At one point there were at least 12 or so, all different colors and such.

I know from a biologist there are people in S. America working on characterizing E. sp. Red finally, but as with all science, it takes a while.
Yeah, I know about some of the others, like "sp. Yellow," but this dealer mentions specifically "We believe 'Species Red' could include a dozen or more separate species," and I'm just curious who this "we" is and whether they just made this up or what that idea is based on. And I guess because H. sp. Red was sold as Euathlus here, that somehow led to them stating that the "specific species red" they're selling right now is officially E. condorito. Seems like they're just making things even more confusing?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, I know about some of the others, like "sp. Yellow," but this dealer mentions specifically "We believe 'Species Red' could include a dozen or more separate species," and I'm just curious who this "we" is and whether they just made this up or what that idea is based on. And I guess because H. sp. Red was sold as Euathlus here, that somehow led to them stating that the "specific species red" they're selling right now is officially E. condorito. Seems like they're just making things even more confusing?
They aren't lying about many species. It's quite possible that all the variants will be different species. A few yrs ago there were about 13 of E sp. X out of that region, could all be unique.