Questions on Euathlus sp. Condorito

Campi95

Arachnosquire
Hey all. I just came across a seller who has some Euathlus condorito slings for sale. I saw the pics and... it looks just like an Euathlus sp. red.

Does someone have experience keeping these guys? Are they as curious and inquisitive as the reds, or are they just similar in appearance? Are they one and the same? I appreciate any info. Thanks!!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
No they are not similar to Homoeomma sp. red/fire (formerly labelled Euathlus sp. red/fire).

They grow bigger and look quite different. Euathlus condorito was formerly known as Euathlus sp. montane.
They are found in habitats high in mountains, in burrows under snow for most of the year.

As with most Euathlus, you can expect a curious yet forgiving nature.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
No they are not similar to Homoeomma sp. red/fire (formerly labelled Euahlus sp. red/fire).

They grow bigger and look quite different. Euathlus condorito was formerly known as Euathlus sp. montane.
They are found in habitats high in mountains, in burrows under snow for most of the year.

Oh man. Now I want one :confused:. I need more Euathlus in my life :penguin:.

Campi95

Arachnosquire
No they are not similar to Homoeomma sp. red/fire (formerly labelled Euathlus sp. red/fire).

Soooo I had this feeling that this pic of an Euathlus condorito was somewhat familiar to me. Googled “Euathlus red” and sure enough, seller was using a generic pic from a Sp. Red instead. They do look quite different once I looked for the condoritos. Thanks for the info!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have two spiderlings of this species. As already pointed out, they are nothing like sp. Red. Mine are very, very tiny at the moment and have both moulted recently.
I am keeping them the same as my Euathlus parvulus. A bit damp for now and drier as they get older.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey all. I just came across a seller who has some Euathlus condorito slings for sale. I saw the pics and... it looks just like an Euathlus sp. red.

Does someone have experience keeping these guys? Are they as curious and inquisitive as the reds, or are they just similar in appearance? Are they one and the same? I appreciate any info. Thanks!!
So you have seller using the wrong picture- not a reliable seller there in my opinion.

Now that we know this, how do you know for absolute certainty the specimen is Euathlus condorito?

Campi95

Arachnosquire
So you have seller using the wrong picture- not a reliable seller there in my opinion.

Now that we know this, how do you know for absolute certainty the specimen is Euathlus condorito?
Oh yeah no no I hightailed my way out of their page once I noticed. I went back and now they have “image pending” so I don’t know if it is an actual condorito or not.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Oh yeah no no I hightailed my way out of their page once I noticed. I went back and now they have “image pending” so I don’t know if it is an actual condorito or not.
This is a new species to the hobby and decent photos of the adults are not easy to come by. So, you are going to miss out on a really awesome, brand new to the hobby, species just because the dealer made a mistake on what photo they uploaded to their website? Updating your website is often a tough gig and I would not fault a seller for making an error like that. Obviously someone either kindly let them know they had made an error, or they caught it themselves while double checking, but I wouldn't automatically assume that they have no clue about what they're selling. My first assumption would be that they made a simple mistake and corrected it. They could be outsourcing their website to someone who isn't as familiar with tarantulas as well, which could lead to an error being made.
Either way, I wouldn't let that stop me from getting one.

Campi95

Arachnosquire
This is a new species to the hobby and decent photos of the adults are not easy to come by. So, you are going to miss out on a really awesome, brand new to the hobby, species just because the dealer made a mistake on what photo they uploaded to their website? Updating your website is often a tough gig and I would not fault a seller for making an error like that. Obviously someone either kindly let them know they had made an error, or they caught it themselves while double checking, but I wouldn't automatically assume that they have no clue about what they're selling. My first assumption would be that they made a simple mistake and corrected it. They could be outsourcing their website to someone who isn't as familiar with tarantulas as well, which could lead to an error being made.
Either way, I wouldn't let that stop me from getting one.
Tbh, I was kind of hoping he had an Euathlus red misidentified. That’s why I didn’t buy it.

You are correct, however. I know the breeder behind the website has their shit together. I just hope whatever poor soul did the image swap wasn’t grilled too hard.