Some Sick Ppl Out There

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can anyone help me out with a vegan substitute for crickets/roaches to feed my tarantulas?

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can anyone help me out with a vegan substitute for crickets/roaches to feed my tarantulas?
I was going to suggest taking some TVP (textured vegetable protein) and shaping it into little one-inch sausage shapes to simulate crickets... squash them a bit and you have a roach, roll them out a bit and its a waxworm.... {D

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How is a decoration any more petty than driving from place to place? There are other modes of transportation that would reduce your impact on insect populations. At least the things being killed for the decoration arent just discarded(like with the things on your windshield).

Can it really be an accident? I mean you are purposefully driving from one place to another, and you certainly dont swerve to miss them so how exactly is it accidental?
um...you're missing my point again, completely. realistically you aren't showing a shred of evidence that disproves what i've been trying to say all along.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
honestly though, just a side question, are there any other vegans in here beside me?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please dont try to switch a T to a 'vegan' diet.... That would most definitely be more cruel that anything that has been done to the wasps.

And no, I didnt miss your point. I am showing that no matter how much you want to complain that it is cruelty you do far worse everyday.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
when did i ever acknowledge that I was somehow a saint?

yes you are missing my point when you give me obvious information that is completely irrelevant to what I'm arguing against.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when did i ever acknowledge that I was somehow a saint?

yes you are missing my point when you give me obvious information that is completely irrelevant to what I'm arguing against.
You know what... I give up, you are obviously choosing to believe that what you do is soo much different that what happens with the wasps you are soo concerned about.

Im done. Between you and cjm1991 I have witnessed more ignorance in the past couple days than ever before on AB this is exactly the reason I dont read the T section very often.

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have no pity for wasps.

The day they stop crawling into my pants while hanging outside to dry is the day that I start caring if some guy chrome plates a few of them to decorate his house with.

Seriously, there are plenty of the things in the world, a few less won't make any difference.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a big P. pederseni in the freezer and I’m so gona try this over the weekend.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You know what... I give up, you are obviously choosing to believe that what you do is soo much different that what happens with the wasps you are soo concerned about.

Im done. Between you and cjm1991 I have witnessed more ignorance in the past couple days than ever before on AB this is exactly the reason I dont read the T section very often.
so now Im ignorant? Dont get bent out of shape, sheesh

8ballphoenix

Arachnopeon
JMoran, do you keep any WC inverts? Or own anything made of wood? Live in a house? Keep invertebrates?
Maybe we should continue this absurd list: Do you use a toilet? Do you wipe? Do you eat? Do you bathe? Flushing uses up valuable water and you know toilet paper is made from trees and in bathing you are probably washing off and drowning all those little critters the live and die on your skin...

Don't you know having a conscience is uncool? Ethics are made to be broken or manipulated so that we can all sleep easy.

Sure people here will ride someone until they cry for there mommy for having bark in their tanks but don't you dare imply anything about the emotional or psychological well being of a T. They will be on here politely following the rules as they correct from here to eternity. And they love Ts, unlike wasps.

Has anyone stopped to think that we should not be cruel to things because we as humans are suppose to know better? In what was is chrome plating wasps, not comodofing life? Isn't it bad enough that if everyone else in the world tried to maintain the unrealistic and greedy standard of living that we have in the united states it would take something like three earths to substaine us, that people can sit here and compare driving a car and living in a house to the use toxic chemicals to kill creatures before dipping them in metal to make horrid jewelry? :? Come on, wake up, try to make "human" a good word instead of a nasty one. Today, I'd rather someone call me a dung beetle than be called human.

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mole hill
mountain

that's all I really need to say.
common sense tells me to leave it at that because the subject is a wasp, not even plural here, a... wasp. yes. we are arguing about a wasp.

trivial AND subjective.

even if it was plural, see above.

JayzunBoget

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mole hill
mountain

that's all I really need to say.
common sense tells me to leave it at that because the subject is a wasp, not even plural here, a... wasp. yes. we are arguing about a wasp.

trivial AND subjective.

even if it was plural, see above.
...and if it were a tarantula that someone had done this to? Or even plural, Say someone had a rosie lay a whole sac of unwanted slings and someone was doing this to them, would it be any different? Would you want one?
I will have to admit to not caring enough about the wasp. I've committed a few sensless wasp murders in my time, and I will prob'ly do it again, someday.
That doesn't make it right. There is an inherent difference beween the (replace accidental with) unintentional deaths that we cause everyday by doing all manner of activities from driving across town and bug mashing with a winshield to just breathing, using toilet paper or bathing, and the intentional destruction of an animal for our amusement.
Perhaps the wasp does not merit any basic respect for it's right to exist. Again, I have not afforded them much of this myself. But that doesn't make it right.
At what point does it matter? At what evolutionary rung of the ladder does an organism merit this respect?
Shall we snuff and chrome birds? Rodents? Kittens? Or, perhaps as was mentioned on the linked page, small children?
Subjective? Yes. Trivial? Only to the exact same extent as watching a young child pull wings off flies.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Let me ask, do you think you really deserve a serious answer? If you do think that, then certainly the person with the difficulty of seing the differences between species is you first of all. Especially after trying to make it look as if someone else didn't know it...

What's next? Are you gonna go kill people who kill insects?

No I doubt it, but putting your extreme reaction into context it might just as well look like it. Simmer down man!

JayzunBoget

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unfortunately, posting on the internet doesn't allow for much emotional context to clarify things. If I came of ranting and raving or certainly, suggesting that I should,
kill people who kill insects?
that certainly was not my intention nor my point of view.
I did feel that both the concept of killing for casual amusement or decoration and Choobaine's casual dismissal of any value to that life distasteful.
But I certainly did not mean to come down as condemning, even going so far as to point out my own shared guilt in this human flaw of Hubris.
My intention, by describing a more extreme situation was to increase the contrast, deepen the relief and draw it out to where it is more black and white.
Should we euthanise and chrome children? That is an absurd question that is very much rhetorical, if I was unclear. Is there, at the heart of the matter, a complete and total difference between the value of a human child and a wasp? Again absurd. But how about, let's fuzz the line a little here, a kitten? Fuzz the line some more, a rodent? A live tarantula? Those are the underlying questions that I was trying to pose.
Let me ask, do you think you really deserve a serious answer?
Yes, I do. If I have comported myself so poorly that you do not believe that my points deserve any consideration, then please stand aside, as perhaps someone else may. I have never before been dismissed so casually, so out of hand as to be told to...
Simmer down man!
And, if I have again come off as ranting or frothing at the mouth, I apologize. I am a bit offended by the snub tho.:embarrassed: ;P

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Good. Now it's all easier. ;)

I for one don't think that the matter of killing a wasp for chroming is worth that much consideration. It's not like I'd build up an industry arround it but instead in my case I'd just do it out of curiosity, even if it was a morbid kind of curiosity. But as hinted, I wouldn't go far with this or go out of my way.

I have no idea how much any life is worth. It depends on the circumstances. This is very much also a political question, (without trying to make this off topic) you could look at Burma right now where the relief packages for the disaster victims are simply confiscated by the military. How much is a life worth? Even a human life? Less than a few packages of food appearantly. But let's leave the rest of this train of thought for TWH, no need to derail this even further.

I don't see what kind of statment Choobaine made that riled you up like that. I don't see her casually dismissing any value, as you said, I think however that she regarded the treatment of the topic as being a bit over the top serious. Something I agree with.
Remember that chroming an arthropod is a novelty idea, thus many people might be curious about it, including me. It will lose its appeal soon enough, no need to worry.