Some Sick Ppl Out There

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Oh for God's sake... THEY ARE DEAD, THIS CANNOT BE CRUEL BY DEFINITION.

I often wonder what the world would be like if people put half the energy they spend on being pissed at others into doing something productive for their fellow man.

BTW, this is getting moved to Insects.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i haven't clicked in yet, but i assume it's chrome-plating dead waps?

sounds like the hottest new jewlery fad, if you ask me.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh for God's sake... THEY ARE DEAD, THIS CANNOT BE CRUEL BY DEFINITION.

I often wonder what the world would be like if people put half the energy they spend on being pissed at others into doing something productive for their fellow man.

BTW, this is getting moved to Insects.
so if you gas them, as the instructions mentioned, that isn't cruel somehow?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I doubt if anything done to kill an insect can really be thought of as cruel. Besides, it isnt like specimens that are collected for use as type specimens are killed with a killing jar that has nail polish remover to asphyxiate the insects(or even directly placed in alcohol)... :rolleyes:

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Correct. Its impossible to do anything "cruel" to an organism that is incapable of appreciating it as such. "Cruel" is a human word that means something quite specific. It would be like asking if it's ok to be verbally abusive to wasps... it doesn't matter, because it's impossible for a wasp to conceive of abuse, verbal or otherwise, and therefore impossible for it to appreciate itself *being* abused at all. The premise, and consequently the question, fly right out the window.

You can try to make an argument as to whether it is "moral", or "justifiable", or "defensible", but not "cruel".

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i like wasps, but i don't see how it's worse than exerminating them for the sake of having them gone.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Correct. Its impossible to do anything "cruel" to an organism that is incapable of appreciating it as such. "Cruel" is a human word that means something quite specific. It would be like asking if it's ok to be verbally abusive to wasps... it doesn't matter, because it's impossible for a wasp to conceive of abuse, verbal or otherwise, and therefore impossible for it to appreciate itself *being* abused at all. The premise, and consequently the question, fly right out the window.

You can try to make an argument as to whether it is "moral", or "justifiable", or "defensible", but not "cruel".
taking a wasp's life for a novelty decoration is pretty tacky and wasteful. i think you're skipping the point and i'm not about to get into a war of words with you, but that's just my 2 cents.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
taking a wasp's life for a novelty decoration is pretty tacky and wasteful. i think you're skipping the point and i'm not about to get into a war of words with you, but that's just my 2 cents.
JMoran, do you keep any WC inverts? Or own anything made of wood? Live in a house? Keep invertebrates?

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
JMoran, do you keep any WC inverts? Or own anything made of wood? Live in a house? Keep invertebrates?
no. yes. yes. yes.

let me guess, you're going to take the typical "oh well you're killing a million bugs by living in a house" when clearly I'm arguing a method of choice.

logically and purposely killing wasps to make them a decoration...how isn't this wrong?

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I quite like how it looks, personally. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it unless you are harvesting them in a fashion that harms the environment. I have roach broaches and Tenebrio neclaces (in teh works, will show anyone interested when done!) and I'd simply love to wear wasps too!

I eat bugs, keep them, study them, wear them. Ain't a thing wrong with that.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
let me guess, you're going to take the typical "oh well you're killing a million bugs by living in a house" when clearly I'm arguing a method of choice.
Actually I was going to say that by living in a house you are killing many trees, same for owning things made of wood. As for the inverts, where do you think the original specimens came from? Those were probably collected as 'pets' which in the case of inverts are mostly 'decoration'.

Also, do you freak out over the traps that kill hornets and yellow jackets? How about pesticides in gardens? On yards? Do you ever waste feeder insects?

What about the bugs that splatter on windshields? Do those make you mad? Have you stopped driving because you hit bugs? Surely you have killed more bugs driving in the past year than have been effected by that post in a forum.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually I was going to say that by living in a house you are killing many trees, same for owning things made of wood. As for the inverts, where do you think the original specimens came from? Those were probably collected as 'pets' which in the case of inverts are mostly 'decoration'.
name a reasonable alternative to wood then. oh yeah, because I can't think of any that won't somehow disrupt the environmental balance of anything. again, this is reasonable in order to sustain my life. in the wild, would my shelter be made out of plastic or something?

Also, do you freak out over the traps that kill hornets and yellow jackets? How about pesticides in gardens? On yards? Do you ever waste feeder insects?
i don't "freak out," but I certainly find it ridiculous to expend an insect's life for some decoration as I've already stated multiple times.

What about the bugs that splatter on windshields? Do those make you mad? Have you stopped driving because you hit bugs? Surely you have killed more bugs driving in the past year than have been effected by that post in a forum.
again, I'm not arguing against ACCIDENTAL killing, but rather purposeful killing. it's pretty obvious what i was differentiating between.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
look, i don't want to make this bigger than what it really is. bottom line, i'm borderline-"hippyish." i respect everyone's input on this.

alas, chrome wasps aren't my thing hahaha

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's actually kind of a neat idea.
My Mom used to work at an electronic assembly company. They would get bored and gold plate bugs. The gold plated potato bug was the coolest but it fell apart after a while.
:)

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't "freak out," but I certainly find it ridiculous to expend an insect's life for some decoration as I've already stated multiple times.
How is a decoration any more petty than driving from place to place? There are other modes of transportation that would reduce your impact on insect populations. At least the things being killed for the decoration arent just discarded(like with the things on your windshield).
again, I'm not arguing against ACCIDENTAL killing, but rather purposeful killing. it's pretty obvious what i was differentiating between.
Can it really be an accident? I mean you are purposefully driving from one place to another, and you certainly dont swerve to miss them so how exactly is it accidental?