So after starting with 3 T's last month...

cold blood

Staff member
Is the inner package wrapped in saran wrap? Looks like a good way to prevent airflow to the animals...I can't imagine what the perceived benefit of doing that would be....looks counter-productive to me.

Here we line the box with Styrofoam for a light, effective insulator.

Oh and the shipping costs are the same up to 10kg. So there is nu such thing as adding weight to increase shipping costs
Good to know, here its all about weight, and extra ounces cost extra $$....often significantly more.

Last edited:

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Is the inner package wrapped in saran wrap? Looks like a good way to prevent airflow to the animals...I can't imagine what the perceived benefit of doing that would be....looks counter-productive to me.

Here we line the box with Styrofoam for a light, effective insulator.

Good to know, here its all about weight, and extra ounces cost extra $$....often significantly more.
No there was only a thin layer of aluminium foil, no plastic wrap.

cold blood

Staff member
No there was only a thin layer of aluminium foil, no plastic wrap.
Gotcha...I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at. The foil was described as a "big ball", which is what had be scratching my head....that makes more sense than a random ball of foil.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@VanessaS
@cold blood
It is not used to deflect x rays, lol!
Tinfoil is used to maximize the effect of a heat pack, or to keep the temp in the package from fluctuating too much. It keeps whati is cool, cool, and what is warm, warm. Here, spiders don't usually are in the mail for more than a day (except shipments to other countries).

cold blood

Staff member
@VanessaS
@cold blood
It is not used to deflect x rays, lol!
Tinfoil is used to maximize the effect of a heat pack, or to keep the temp in the package from fluctuating too much. It keeps whati is cool, cool, and what is warm, warm. Here, spiders don't usually are in the mail for more than a day (except shipments to other countries).
Curious why you guys don't just insulate the box like we do instead....seems like it would be so much more effective....I almost never ship over-night personally.

I defrost things in foil, so I know it doesn't do a good job of keeping cold things cold any better than it keeps hot things hot for any appreciable amount of time.

MorganRose

Arachnopeon
I've never had foil in or on any of my packages I've received and I'm from Europe (for now).
They've all had either Styrofoam pieces or a Styrofoam box with addiquit packing.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Curious why you guys don't just insulate the box like we do instead....seems like it would be so much more effective
Yeah, almost every shipment I have received has been setup like this. I works well.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
omg i feel so bad, my B. emilia lost a leg due to a stupid mistake i made. I thought i closed the lid safely but somehow the tip of her leg got stuck. She got spooked and took off so she lost it. I'm sure it'll grow back within a molt or two and she'll be fine. but I feel so guilty about it. ;_;

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
omg i feel so bad, my B. emilia lost a leg due to a stupid mistake i made. I thought i closed the lid safely but somehow the tip of her leg got stuck. She got spooked and took off so she lost it. I'm sure it'll grow back within a molt or two and she'll be fine. but I feel so guilty about it. ;_;
She will get better. Mistakes get made, but this one is small compared to some. Check that lid. :)

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I use these as enclosures: 20160526_134426.jpg
So normally I unclasp one side and drop in cricket or whatever, but she somehow got stuck on the other side of the enclosure in the tiny space between lid and box when opening on the other side.

I've read that Ts will recover their limb within a molt or two. She's a really small juvie/large sling with around 4cm legspan. (My juvie albiceps and smithi are noticably bigger) so i hope she molts soon.

Still, i feel incredibly bad/sad about it :(

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I use these as enclosures: View attachment 212023
So normally I unclasp one side and drop in cricket or whatever, but she somehow got stuck on the other side of the enclosure in the tiny space between lid and box when opening on the other side.

I've read that Ts will recover their limb within a molt or two. She's a really small juvie/large sling with around 4cm legspan. (My juvie albiceps and smithi are noticably bigger) so i hope she molts soon.

Still, i feel incredibly bad/sad about it :(
Ah, yeah those will work fine. I usually take both side off but if its a flightly T it'd be better to just do the one side. Just keep an eye out for her next time and make sure she isn't near the lid.

Don't beat yourself up too bad. If learn from the mistake, you and your Ts will be better for it. :)

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I opened the enclosure to remove her lost leg. She immediatly tried to run outside the enclosure. She bolted up the side and on my hand, where she surprisingly calmed down and was really docile.

I tried to put her back in the enclosure but she tried to bolt out of it again.

She's on the enclosure walls most of the time, trying to get out, unlike the b. albiceps and smithi who have settled in.