So after starting with 3 T's last month...

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
47 "Morto che parla" :) is basically referred to a dead one (like, for instance, a loved one) that, appear to "you" in dreams, and talk. That's an old like hell Italian folklore created story, originated in the Center/South part if i'm not wrong.

Therefore, among people that play Lotto game, those put the sign on number 47 when they "hear" a dead talking.

Another is 77 <--- Ladies legs lol
Good to know...:eek:

jgerou85

Arachnopeon
It's addicting isn't it? I started with one rosie in 2013, now I'm up to around 50 spiders with no intentions of slowing down ...

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Also I saw this morning that 1 hapalopus has webbed a little bit, and is still on the surface. The other one was nowhere to be seen but has webbed around the hide entrance, so I guess that one has started burrowing.

cold blood

Staff member
Well I will say it...I agree with the seller, they weren't packed well....you're lucky the Brachys survived IMO. Look at the vials they were in, the spiders are right at the sides, they should be contained within the paper towel, not just randomly in there with it. You won't be able to see the spider in a well packed vial.

Great bunch of Brachypelma!

AshLee

Arachnopeon
Well I will say it...I agree with the seller, they weren't packed well....you're lucky the Brachys survived IMO. Look at the vials they were in, the spiders are right at the sides, they should be contained within the paper towel, not just randomly in there with it. You won't be able to see the spider in a well packed vial.

Great bunch of Brachypelma!
I've had quite a few determined tarantulas wrestle their way outside of the paper towel during transit and arrive sitting against the side or right at the top. (Seems more common in slings than adults.) The sellers were all different and each reputable, it seems like some tarantulas just won't stand for order?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I've had quite a few determined tarantulas wrestle their way outside of the paper towel during transit and arrive sitting against the side or right at the top. (Seems more common in slings than adults.) The sellers were all different and each reputable, it seems like some tarantulas just won't stand for order?
Same here. Or the spider has chewed his way to the side and you open the tub and it looks like the the spider is buried in snow :p

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Especially the B. Smithi was very active inside that little vial. Crawling around.

cold blood

Staff member
If it were one, maybe...but all 3...no, they were poorly packed.

I think in all the ts I've unpacked I might have had that happen once.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If it were one, maybe...but all 3...no, they were poorly packed.

I think in all the ts I've unpacked I might have had that happen once.
The ones you sent me would not have. I had two hands with opposable thumbs, tweezers, and other tools and it still took me some effort to open those guys up. :p

I'm glad those Ts got there ok though.

cold blood

Staff member
The ones you sent me would not have. I had two hands with opposable thumbs, tweezers, and other tools and it still took me some effort to open those guys up. :p

I'm glad those Ts got there ok though.
And that's what I'm talking about....if its packed too loose, it can happen, if its packed nice and tight like it should be, its really a virtual impossibility.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I don't know about the Hapalopus guy, but the other three came fron a very reputable breeder in the Netherlands. His packaging is always very good, you saw only the vials the spider was in. That vial comes from a tightly packed box, which was in a tightly packed box, each which had extensive padding in it. At least, that's how my spiders from him were packed.
He's never had a single DOA as far as I know, and he even ships to China....

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I don't know about the Hapalopus guy, but the other three came fron a very reputable breeder in the Netherlands. His packaging is always very good, you saw only the vials the spider was in. That vial comes from a tightly packed box, which was in a tightly packed box, each which had extensive padding in it. At least, that's how my spiders from him were packed.
He's never had a single DOA as far as I know, and he even ships to China....
Agreed, he is always very fast with communication and his shipment was as follows: big carton box fillled with newspaper as padding. big ball of aluminium foil inside, with more paper padding protecting the three vials.

cold blood

Staff member
Agreed, he is always very fast with communication and his shipment was as follows: big carton box fillled with newspaper as padding. big ball of aluminium foil inside, with more paper padding protecting the three vials.
Padding around is standard, but why the ball of aluminum foil, I don't get that, that seems just like extra weight to increase the shipping costs. What's the perceived benefit of a foil ball???

The padding is good, but IMO the most critical padding should be within the vial...ya know, where the t actually is.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Oh and the shipping costs are the same up to 10kg. So there is nu such thing as adding weight to increase shipping costs

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Padding around is standard, but why the ball of aluminum foil, I don't get that, that seems just like extra weight to increase the shipping costs. What's the perceived benefit of a foil ball???
The padding is good, but IMO the most critical padding should be within the vial...ya know, where the t actually is.
Looks like they are using the tin foil as a temp shield and maybe to hold the newspaper tighter. It might help some if the have to use heat/cool packs and didn't have the flat insulation that most I've got have used.

cold blood

Staff member
But aluminum holds neither heat or cold well...heck, I can reach into the hot oven and pull out foil with my fingers.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
But aluminum holds neither heat or cold well...heck, I can reach into the hot oven and pull out foil with my fingers.
I meant more as a heat reflector, heat from the heat pack reflects back in keeping it warmer or heat reflects off the bundle to let the cool pack stay cooler(only useful on the outside of the box). Not saying it's useful either way in this case, but that could have been their thinking. It could be a EU thing? I've seen a lot of unpacking videos from people in the EU and a lot of them have had tinfoil layer in the somewhere.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It could be a EU thing? I've seen a lot of unpacking videos from people in the EU and a lot of them have had tinfoil layer in the somewhere.
They might be doing it because they think it will protect the tarantulas from the x-rays they go through if shipping into other countries. The only thing is... it doesn't.
There is no harm in doing it, though.

Last edited: