Slings help needed

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
Dear everyone,
In a few days i will receive my first tarantula’s ever. Theres 5 of them and I have a question about their containers and substrate. I have the exo terra coco husk, forest moss and plantation soil. Will this suffice and are my enclosures alright? Ive checked a lot of youtube videos and everyone uses small enclosures so im scared theres a reason no one uses a big container. The size is 29x20x12cm, but ill add pictures. My species are:
Theraposa blondi i2

Pterinochilus lugardi i5

Pterinochilus murinus umv i2

Hysterocrates gigas i2

Lampropelma violaceopes i2.
Thanks for any help on substrate and enclosures. Im just really nervous i’ll <edit> this up. The blondi wasn’t cheap (€65) and i’d be heartbroken to see him/her or the other 4 cheaper ones die because of my inexperience

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Dear everyone,
In a few days i will receive my first tarantula’s ever. Theres 5 of them and I have a question about their containers and substrate. I have the exo terra coco husk, forest moss and plantation soil. Will this suffice and are my enclosures alright? Ive checked a lot of youtube videos and everyone uses small enclosures so im scared theres a reason no one uses a big container. The size is 29x20x12cm, but ill add pictures. My species are:
Theraposa blondi i2

Pterinochilus lugardi i5

Hysterocrates gigas i2

Thanks for any help on substrate and enclosures. Im just really nervous i’ll [CENSORED] this up. The blondi wasn’t cheap (€65) and i’d be heartbroken to see him/her or the other 4 cheaper ones die because of my inexperience
The reason people use smaller containers is because the slings will burrow away and hide in larger containers, making it harder to observe them and make sure they are well. Some smaller enclosures you could easily use are condiment cups from restaurants, which are what most people use. I would not use the cocohusk, since it is basically mulch. Tarantulas do not like living on loose soil or bark. As long as the plantation soil does not have any pesticides or fertilizers, it should be fine. Finally, the Pterinochilus and the H. gigas are terrible things for a beginner to keep. They are fast, defensive, and have potent venom. The T. blondi is not a very good beginner species and I cannot say anything about the L. violaceopes. You can manage with the Pterinochilus but be very prepared for their speed. Finally, read this. It is a very useful guide. Welcome to tarantula keeping, hope this helps!

Edit: I realize I was thinking about something entirely different from the T. blondi. Thank you cold blood for correcting me.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is actually the very most advanced species in the list, and one of the most advanced in the hobby.
Yes, not even mentioning that this species is, especially at the sling stage, one of the worst beginner-friendly ever, in terms of forgiving hypothetical care mistakes. Then, after, the 'OW' issue :)

The Seraph

Arachnolord
If you still can, change the order. Not one of these is even close to being good for beginners.

No...its not.

This is actually the very most advanced species in the list, and one of the most advanced in the hobby.
I was thinking of A. chalcodes, since Desert Blond, T. blondi. Yes, I will already accept the face palm.

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
The reason people use smaller containers is because the slings will burrow away and hide in larger containers, making it harder to observe them and make sure they are well. Some smaller enclosures you could easily use are condiment cups from restaurants, which are what most people use. I would not use the cocohusk, since it is basically mulch. Tarantulas do not like living on loose soil or bark. As long as the plantation soil does not have any pesticides or fertilizers, it should be fine. Finally, the Pterinochilus and the H. gigas are terrible things for a beginner to keep. They are fast, defensive, and have potent venom. The T. blondi is not a very good beginner species and I cannot say anything about the L. violaceopes. You can manage with the Pterinochilus but be very prepared for their speed. Finally, read this. It is a very useful guide. Welcome to tarantula keeping, hope this helps!

Edit: I realize I was thinking about something entirely different from the T. blondi. Thank you cold blood for correcting me.
Thank you for responding. I will not use the coco husk and I will read the guide right away.

If you still can, change the order. Not one of these is even close to being good for beginners.

No...its not.

I already paid and made all arangements. This wouldn’t normally be a problem ofcourse, but they have been shipped already. That’s why I assume I will receive them soon. I have kameleons, tortoises, beetles, scorpions and a lot more pets, even a redback spider. I’m not inexperienced with exotic pets, i’ve just never had tarantulas before

No...its not.

I have researched feeding, temperature and such basic info saved on every species. but im nowhere near advanced, so ill admit i messed up and let my enthusiasm for T’s got the best of me, but nonetheless I will do more research and do my best to give them the best life I can offer them.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I already paid and made all arangements. This wouldn’t normally be a problem ofcourse, but they have been shipped already. That’s why I assume I will receive them soon. I have kameleons, tortoises, beetles, scorpions and a lot more pets, even a redback spider. I’m not inexperienced with exotic pets, i’ve just never had tarantulas before
Hello, welcome to the T. hobby :D, but not trying to be mean. But I hate those type of excuses, it's like getting a venemous snake, but only having experience with exotic fish as a experience point, which they do not go anywhere near hand-in-hand. But it is what it is about the purchase. So be super cautious when they arrive. Just to note: if it was easier to deal with them as slings, wait until they become more mature, that's when the warnings and red flags really go up. This is an awesome hobby, but if you're looking for basic care and info, don't rely on youtube or other websites, as almost all of those info are misleading or terrible. The only good Youtuber I recommend is Tom Moran, he's a great guy on basic info. And almost anything useful on basic T. info is here on the boards. ;)

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
Hello, welcome to the T. hobby :D, but not trying to be mean. But I hate those type of excuses, it's like getting a venemous snake, but only having experience with exotic fish as a experience point, which they do not go anywhere near hand-in-hand. But it is what it is about the purchase. So be super cautious when they arrive. Just to note: if it was easier to deal with them as slings, wait until they become more mature, that's when the warnings and red flags really go up. This is an awesome hobby, but if you're looking for basic care and info, don't rely on youtube or other websites, as almost all of those info are misleading or terrible. The only good Youtuber I recommend is Tom Moran, he's a great guy on basic info. And almost anything useful on basic T. info is here on the boards. ;)
I do believe there’s a huge difference between having only experience with like dogs or something and experience with animals like forest scorpions and chameleons and such. I have experience with stuff like gut loading crickets and heatmats and stuff like enclosure setups with warmth, moist, sheds, toxidity danger and more. Again, im not saying im an experienced tarantula keeper, all I meant to say is that im not a complete noob. Thanks for the info regardless

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I do believe there’s a huge difference between having only experience with like dogs or something and experience with animals like forest scorpions and chameleons and such. I have experience with stuff like gut loading crickets and heatmats and stuff like enclosure setups with warmth, moist, sheds, toxidity danger and more. Again, im not saying im an experienced tarantula keeper, all I meant to say is that im not a complete noob. Thanks for the info regardless
All that haS zero to do with keeping Ts. You are a complete noob when it comes to Ts. This statement proves it.

Listen to the advice here.

sasker

Arachnoprince
heatmats and stuff like enclosure setups with warmth, moist,
If I can give you some advice, please stick around on Arachnoboards. Please do use the search function. Try using the terms 'heat mat' and 'humidity', and any threats on care specific to the species you have. The species you have all have very specific needs so don't keep them all the same.

toxidity danger and more
Experience with 'hot' scorpion species (like Leiurus spp. and Androctonus spp.) does in no way prepare you for tarantulas, as scorpions do not tend to run up the wall in a blink of an eye (as might happen with your P. murinus). Most of the species you ordered have medically significant venom and you are more likely to get bitten than being stung by any scorpion if you don't know what you are doing. Please do not underestimate them.

Veel succes!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Literally 99% of that doesn't even apply to tarantulas. Gut loading crickets is the only experience you have that will cross over into T keeping. Do NOT try to keep tarantulas "humid" - You'll kill them.

Just a basic, quick run down...

Theraposa blondi i2 -
Terrestrial burrower. Provide moist substrate. Beware of urticating hairs.

Pterinochilus lugardi i5 -
Fossorial. Provide deep substrate for burrowing.

- Does whatever it pleases. Provide enough sub for burrowing, but also vertical slanted bark for climbing and webbing.

Hysterocrates gigas i2
- Fossorial. Provide moist, DEEP substrate.

- Arboreal. Provide a vertical enclosure and hide, plus foliage for cover.

- Provide water dishes for them all. Feed pre-killed prey, or crush the heads of feeders so they cannot burrow or injure your Ts. Your enclosures need to have a lot of ventilation, especially for the species that need moist sub. Moist substrate paired with a lack of ventilation will kill a spider quickly.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Gut loading crickets is the only experience you have that will cross over into T keeping.
Not even this crosses over gut loading is providing nutrition that lizards and such need Tarantulas have no such requirements all to do is feed the crickets

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not even this crosses over gut loading is providing nutrition that lizards and such need Tarantulas have no such requirements all to do is feed the crickets
Gut loading is providing ANY feeder insect with nutrition before feeding it off. The term comes from the reptile community, yes, but that doesn't negate the fact that a well fed feeder is a more nutritious meal for the animal eating it.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Gut loading is providing ANY feeder insect with nutrition before feeding it off. The term comes from the reptile community, yes, but that doesn't negate the fact that a well fed feeder is a more nutritious meal for the animal eating it.
So what nutrition does a T need since this is the 1st I'm hearing this. All I'm saying its not gut loading in the T world that term is used for reptiles and such nothing really to do with T keeping If you have reptiles and do this I see where you're coming from but from someone who only keeps T's this term is not used It is just simply feeding the feeder lol

Last edited:

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
...do my best to give them the best life I can offer them.
Do you truly want to offer them the best life you can? If so, it's actually pretty easy. Sell them.

Can you successfully keep them, as a complete beginner, and give them great lives? Sure, just like you can play Russian Roulette twenty times in a row and remain unscathed. In neither case is it a good idea.

Please, heed the advice you've been given. No one here is telling you not to start keeping tarantulas, and we all like to see new members. Your wisest course of action here is to sell them, do some research, and snag yourself some of the beginner species. Just because they're beginner spiders doesn't make them less awesome.

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
After watching lots of youtube videos why would you buy these species? I'd say sell all of them and with the money buy some beginner species. I'd recommend a C cyaneopubescens, any brachypelma that interests you and a Grammostola pulchripes if you want something that gets quite big.

These videos might help you:

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
I never expected so many comments. What an active good forum. Thanks to everyone single one of you. Ive read every comment carefully and even though most comments are kind of discouraging, i’ll still see the best of it. I want to apologize to anyone feeling offended or anything for taking high need T’s as a noob. I know animals aren’t toys. I mean it when I say that I want to give them a good life. I care about animals. Thanks again to all of you. If anyone is interested, I can give monthly small updates.

After watching lots of youtube videos why would you buy these species? I'd say sell all of them and with the money buy some beginner species. I'd recommend a C cyaneopubescens, any brachypelma that interests you and a Grammostola pulchripes if you want something that gets quite big.

These videos might help you:
I didn’t buy them after watching those vids. I live in the netherlands and there’s only 1 dutch website (that I know of) that ships T’s to my place. It isn’t a big company and they only had like 10 different slings to choose from with mine all being €5 and less, apart from the blondi, and the other 5 were like 25€-60€.
It was mostly because these were the cheaper options. Im still in college. I dont have a steady salary. It had nothing to do with youtube. I know I know, I shouldn’t have bought T’s I havent done research for simply because they were cheap. Theres like 10 other guys who told me that already. I just wanted to clear out it had nothing to do with youtube. I will consider putting them for sale and going for easier ones from UK shipping sites or something, they tend to have a larger variability. Thank you for the info and vids. I enjoyed watching them.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I never expected so many comments. What an active good forum. Thanks to everyone single one of you. Ive read every comment carefully and even though most comments are kind of discouraging, i’ll still see the best of it. I want to apologize to anyone feeling offended or anything for taking high need T’s as a noob. I know animals aren’t toys. I mean it when I say that I want to give them a good life. I care about animals. Thanks again to all of you. If anyone is interested, I can give monthly small updates.
I thought some comments when I first started on this forum were discouraging but it's just how things come across on here don't take it to heart. You might be starting with some difficult species but I can't talk I went from a G Pulchripes to a P Cambrigei you need to start somewhere and if you take the right precautions and are confident enough you shouldn't have a problem

I didn’t buy them after watching those vids. I live in the netherlands and there’s only 1 dutch website (that I know of) that ships T’s to my place. It isn’t a big company and they only had like 10 different slings to choose from with mine all being €5 and less, apart from the blondi, and the other 5 were like 25€-60€.
It was mostly because these were the cheaper options. Im still in college. I dont have a steady salary. It had nothing to do with youtube. I know I know, I shouldn’t have bought T’s I havent done research for simply because they were cheap. Theres like 10 other guys who told me that already. I just wanted to clear out it had nothing to do with youtube. I will consider putting them for sale and going for easier ones from UK shipping sites or something, they tend to have a larger variability. Thank you for the info and vids. I enjoyed watching them.
I buy from thespidershop in UK or @KezyGLA On here. I'm sure there are hundreds of places in Germany and Poland though with a good choice I'd probs try them 1st being from netherlands

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
I thought some comments when I first started on this forum were discouraging but it's just how things come across on here don't take it to heart. You might be starting with some difficult species but I can't talk I went from a G Pulchripes to a P Cambrigei you need to start somewhere and if you take the right precautions and are confident enough you shouldn't have a problem
Thank you for this message. It really makes me feel part the group more. It is really kind and encouraging.