Slings help needed

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Thank you for this message. It really makes me feel part the group more. It is really kind and encouraging.
Don't mention it, stick around here though best place to be for a new keeper and don't be afraid to ask anything no matter how stupid it may sound no question is stupid when it comes to the safety of you're T

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
I didn’t buy them after watching those vids. I live in the netherlands and there’s only 1 dutch website (that I know of) that ships T’s to my place. It isn’t a big company and they only had like 10 different slings to choose from with mine all being €5 and less, apart from the blondi, and the other 5 were like 25€-60€.
It was mostly because these were the cheaper options. Im still in college. I dont have a steady salary. It had nothing to do with youtube. I know I know, I shouldn’t have bought T’s I havent done research for simply because they were cheap. Theres like 10 other guys who told me that already. I just wanted to clear out it had nothing to do with youtube. I will consider putting them for sale and going for easier ones from UK shipping sites or something, they tend to have a larger variability. Thank you for the info and vids. I enjoyed watching them.
Try spidersworld eu ,the spidershop and portsmouth tarantulas. By the way, instead of selling the Ts see if you can get a trade.

cold blood

Staff member
Lampropelma violaceopes i2.
- Arboreal. Provide a vertical enclo
dont forget deep damp substrate....the LV is one if the most moisture dependent species i can think of, right there with the Theraphosa....especially when young.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So what nutrition does a T need since this is the 1st I'm hearing this. All I'm saying its not gut loading in the T world that term is used for reptiles and such nothing really to do with T keeping If you have reptiles and do this I see where you're coming from but from someone who only keeps T's this term is not used It is just simply feeding the feeder lol
What difference does it make, calling it "gut loading" versus "feeding?" The concept is the same - Keep your feeders well fed and healthy. I don't understand why you would argue against that practice? Why you would advocate for feeding starved feeders? That doesn't make any sense to me.

dont forget deep damp substrate....the LV is one if the most moisture dependent species i can think of, right there with the Theraphosa....especially when young.
I am not experienced with this species and I should have prefaced my comment on them with that. Thank you for elaborating on their needs!

cold blood

Staff member
What difference does it make, calling it "gut loading" versus "feeding?" The concept is the same
Similar, not the same...to me its like poison versus venom. This term comes from the rep hobby, where certain nutritional needs must be met by giving feeders specific nutritional suppliments for the good of the reptiles...something not needed for ts. I do get what you are saying, and its just that you have a different idea of what the term means. Its all about simply feeding your feeders, its not about feeding for specific nutritional needs.

In reality though, we are talking semantics, so even though I don't like the term, I do understand why its used and why your opinion is what it is.

I don't understand why you would argue against that practice? Why you would advocate for feeding starved feeders? That doesn't make any sense to me.
He never said or even implied this in any way...he is simply referring to the term as feeding and not gut loading for the reasons I mentioned above.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Similar, not the same...to me its like poison versus venom. This term comes from the rep hobby, where certain nutritional needs must be met by giving feeders specific nutritional suppliments for the good of the reptiles...something not needed for ts. I do get what you are saying, and its just that you have a different idea of what the term means. Its all about simply feeding your feeders, its not about feeding for specific nutritional needs.

In reality though, we are talking semantics, so even though I don't like the term, I do understand why its used and why your opinion is what it is.

He never said or even implied this in any way...he is simply referring to the term as feeding and not gut loading for the reasons I mentioned above.
And in some other languages, there aren't two words for poison and venom... it is just poison lol

Thank you for clarifying his meaning. To me, it sounded as if he was saying Ts have no nutritional needs so you can feed them unfed feeders with no problem - which, to me, translates to unhealthy feeders. But maybe that's not true? I am sure there are plenty of keepets that feed crickets straight from the pet store for the life of their Ts and don't have issues?

But yes, it is semantics at this point. I believe in feeding feeders nutritious food regardless of their intended predator lol

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
And in some other languages, there aren't two words for poison and venom... it is just poison lol

Thank you for clarifying his meaning. To me, it sounded as if he was saying Ts have no nutritional needs so you can feed them unfed feeders with no problem - which, to me, translates to unhealthy feeders. But maybe that's not true? I am sure there are plenty of keepets that feed crickets straight from the pet store for the life of their Ts and don't have issues?

But yes, it is semantics at this point. I believe in feeding feeders nutritious food regardless of their intended predator lol
I buy crickets, roaches and mealworms etc from the petstore and give them lettuce and stuff powdered with my chameleon/tortoise powder. Ill add a picture. Do you think this will be nutritient and healthy enough for the spiders?

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I buy crickets, roaches and mealworms etc from the petstore and give them lettuce and stuff powdered with my chameleon/tortoise powder. Ill add a picture. Do you think this will be nutritient and healthy enough for the spiders?
Tarantulas dont need reptile supplements.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So what do I have to feed the crickets then? Just regular lettuce and other vegetables? Nothing special?
I feed oranges, tomatoes, and carrots as staples. I also give dog kibble, fish pellets (they love pond fish food), apples, bananas, cucumber, etc.

You don't need to add any supplements - Tarantulas don't need extra calcium and vitamins like reptiles.

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
Pretty much, you can add some into bran to the mix and apple as well. Some also feed dry dog food or fish flakes.
What is a bran? Thank you for the answer btw

I feed oranges, tomatoes, and carrots as staples. I also give dog kibble, fish pellets (they love pond fish food), apples, bananas, cucumber, etc.

You don't need to add any supplements - Tarantulas don't need extra calcium and vitamins like reptiles.
Thank you. I’ll try this

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
So what do I have to feed the crickets then? Just regular lettuce and other vegetables? Nothing special?
Simple as that.

By the way, be sure to send some pictures of the finished enclosures when you've sorted them out

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
Simple as that.

By the way, be sure to send some pictures of the finished enclosures when you've sorted them out
I got 3 types of substrate ready.
1) plantation soil
2) coco husk (but it’s a lot bigger than i hoped)
3) forest moss.

I’m planning on using the plantation soil as digging substrate and have a small layer of coco husk and forest moss on top in all the enclosers. I plan to use a very small layer of plantation soil for the lampropelma violaceopes since I’ve read that it’s not a big burrowing species and spends most time in trees.

The last thing im figuring out before I start is how moist the substrate I should make for every species and wether or not I actually wanna use the forest moss and coco husk. I think they don’t really need it.

Attachments

chris0220

Arachnopeon
Moss should theoretically help with humidity so it won’t hurt to use.

The L. vio may burrow as a sling so definitely give it enough sub to do so.

Jordan1998

Arachnosquire
Moss should theoretically help with humidity so it won’t hurt to use.

The L. vio may burrow as a sling so definitely give it enough sub to do so.
And should i just use it on the top or should i mix it up with the soil and have it 50/50 everywhere?

MARC NORMAN

Arachnopeon
Don't give them too wide of a space, they need soil depth. Good luck, my first tarantulas were Goliath bird eaters, should of started with something smaller.