Shipping: Priority 3-Day vs Overnight/Express

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
What are you thoughts about these shipping methods? Have you tried both? What are you experiences?

I am very much familiar with these two shipping methods, have received and shipped countless packages (not live inverts) not just from domestic destinations, but also international, from as far away as Australia, or France.

My experience with Priority is positive. If the sender or the recipient is in the same state as me, the package always gets delivered the next day, rarely the following (2 days after it was sent).

Also it's fall now. It's the perfect time to send and receive T's, not too cold, not too hot.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm very lucky - there are so many options for local pickup here in SoCal, what with all the local hobbyists, exotic pet shops, and expos that pretty much anything I want is readily available nearby - but I have purchased T's online once, as well as a few other, less-commonly-kept inverts that were not available nearby. The T's (a group of 5 M. balfouri slings) were shipped "overnight" on a Monday, for arrival the next day - but the seller was late dropping them off on Monday and missed the cutoff time to drop off the package for next day delivery, bumping it to second day - and then there was some sort of carrier delay so they did not arrive on Wednesday, Thursday was Thanksgiving day, so they finally arrived on Friday - unharmed. The other inverts (true spiders and insects) were shipped priority mail rather than overnight and - for the most part - also arrived unharmed. (There was one cocoon that hatched en-route, resulting in a crippled moth with tiny, shriveled wings because he was unable to expand them properly in the shipping container.)

As long as the critters in question are properly packaged, with adequate insulation and appropriate heat/cool packs for weather conditions, I think 2-3 day shipping is fine - at least as long as the package is not opened for inspection. There is the issue of most carriers having rules against shipping spiders or other venomous creatures, so if the package is guaranteed to be delivered overnight, I think that might decrease the likelihood of it being opened for inspection because they're in a hurry to just get it there on time. If, on the other hand, they're not in so much of a hurry, there's always the chance they'll attempt to inspect the package - and destroy it, if they figure out what's inside.

The only problems (other than minor shipping delays) I've ever had with shipping were packages that were opened for inspection. There was a package of CD's that was shipped "media mail." Apparently, the postal service is in the habit of opening media mail packages to make sure whatever is being shipped actually qualifies for the lower media shipping rate. When the package was opened, the contents were accidentally switched with those of another package that was also being inspected - so when I opened the package, instead of the Monty Python CD's I was expecting, I had a copy of the book Coraline. I contacted the seller that I'd ordered the CD's from and not only was he certain that he'd shipped the CD's but he had never seen the book before. The package (a padded envolope) had very obviously been cut open - and not very carefully, either - then sloppily wrapped around the book and taped back together. When I contacted the post office about the problem, they were no help at all. As far as they were concerned, a package had been delivered and that was the end of it. Had the CD's been shipped overnight, I am certain that they would have arrived. (Although really, in this case, even priority shipping probably would have gotten them here without issues.) My only other inspected package issue was a couple of dead bugs I'd ordered from overseas that were impounded at customs. Apparently there was some sort of paperwork I was supposed to have filled out that I didn't know about. In that case, I don't think overnight shipping would have made a difference, though.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
All the Ts I received 2-3 day shipping arrived just fine, even in colder weather with heat packs included. The thing about USPS I don't like is that they aren't as reliable when it comes to shipping delays, and most sellers don't always want to offer LAG on such shipments due to that risk. But I've ordered from Jamie's Tarantulas a few times and she does offer LAG on Priority shipments. I don't order a lot of tarantulas at a time, so I like having the cheaper shipment option.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I'm very lucky - there are so many options for local pickup here in SoCal, what with all the local hobbyists, exotic pet shops, and expos that pretty much anything I want is readily available nearby - but I have purchased T's online once, as well as a few other, less-commonly-kept inverts that were not available nearby. The T's (a group of 5 M. balfouri slings) were shipped "overnight" on a Monday, for arrival the next day - but the seller was late dropping them off on Monday and missed the cutoff time to drop off the package for next day delivery, bumping it to second day - and then there was some sort of carrier delay so they did not arrive on Wednesday, Thursday was Thanksgiving day, so they finally arrived on Friday - unharmed. The other inverts (true spiders and insects) were shipped priority mail rather than overnight and - for the most part - also arrived unharmed. (There was one cocoon that hatched en-route, resulting in a crippled moth with tiny, shriveled wings because he was unable to expand them properly in the shipping container.)

As long as the critters in question are properly packaged, with adequate insulation and appropriate heat/cool packs for weather conditions, I think 2-3 day shipping is fine - at least as long as the package is not opened for inspection. There is the issue of most carriers having rules against shipping spiders or other venomous creatures, so if the package is guaranteed to be delivered overnight, I think that might decrease the likelihood of it being opened for inspection because they're in a hurry to just get it there on time. If, on the other hand, they're not in so much of a hurry, there's always the chance they'll attempt to inspect the package - and destroy it, if they figure out what's inside.

The only problems (other than minor shipping delays) I've ever had with shipping were packages that were opened for inspection. There was a package of CD's that was shipped "media mail." Apparently, the postal service is in the habit of opening media mail packages to make sure whatever is being shipped actually qualifies for the lower media shipping rate. When the package was opened, the contents were accidentally switched with those of another package that was also being inspected - so when I opened the package, instead of the Monty Python CD's I was expecting, I had a copy of the book Coraline. I contacted the seller that I'd ordered the CD's from and not only was he certain that he'd shipped the CD's but he had never seen the book before. The package (a padded envolope) had very obviously been cut open - and not very carefully, either - then sloppily wrapped around the book and taped back together. When I contacted the post office about the problem, they were no help at all. As far as they were concerned, a package had been delivered and that was the end of it. Had the CD's been shipped overnight, I am certain that they would have arrived. (Although really, in this case, even priority shipping probably would have gotten them here without issues.) My only other inspected package issue was a couple of dead bugs I'd ordered from overseas that were impounded at customs. Apparently there was some sort of paperwork I was supposed to have filled out that I didn't know about. In that case, I don't think overnight shipping would have made a difference, though.

Thanks for the input! Youre in SoCal. I sometimes go up there to stay for the weekend at Irvine. I stay in the Los Angeles area for the weekdays. You mentioned plenty of source available for pickup. Can you name a few? :D Im looking for a particular species that I would much rather come pick up than be shipped via mail. :D

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the input! Youre in SoCal. I sometimes go up there to stay for the weekend at Irvine. I stay in the Los Angeles area for the weekdays. You mentioned plenty of source available for pickup. Can you name a few? :D Im looking for a particular species that I would much rather come pick up than be shipped via mail. :D
I mostly get my spiders from local expos and Craigslist, but we also have a number of dealers out here - including Millipedes and More and AB members like @JoeRossi and @Eli824. (I know there are other local dealers I've seen posting extensive listings in the classifieds here, but I'm blanking on the names right now.) Repticon is coming up on November 11-12 in Costa Mesa at the OC Fairgrounds, too - I'm sure Craig from Millipedes and More and Joe Rossi will be there, as well as a LOT of other vendors. Joe usually has a HUGE selection of spiders available. What species are you looking for?

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I mostly get my spiders from local expos and Craigslist, but we also have a number of dealers out here - including Millipedes and More and AB members like JoeRossi and Eli824. Repticon is coming up on November 11-12 in Costa Mesa at the OC Fairgrounds, too - I'm sure Craig from Millipedes and More and Joe Rossi will be there, as well as a LOT of other vendors. What species are you looking for?

Im looking for an adult or sub-adult female Nhandu tripepii. :) the nastier the better. :)

JoP

Arachnosquire
I've used both methods for a variety of inverts, and I will say that the benefit of overnight is the predictability of delivery. I've had greater issues with delayed deliveries using priority/3-day, although my specimens have still always arrived unharmed. The only real issues I've ever had have been with ice packs melting during 3-day shipping, which can be a risk with warmer temps. But with fall temps you might be fine, although I'd worry if shipping to a place where it gets cold enough to require a heat pack at this time of year; it's not likely to last you 3 days and the specimens might die.

lateapexpredator

So angry
But with fall temps you might be fine, although I'd worry if shipping to a place where it gets cold enough to require a heat pack at this time of year; it's not likely to last you 3 days and the specimens might die.
If it helps anybody now or in the future, I have something to offer about this.

I was supposed to receive a box with two Ts in it (2 1/2" T Stirmi and 1/4" N. Coloratovillosus) yesterday but Fedex screwed up and they got left in Memphis Monday night. I wasn't too worried about them during the night as it was about 77 there during the day. However, the next night they had to stay in Great Falls, Montana. It's been OK during the days here but at nights it's been in the mid to low 20s. I was a bit nervous to see how they'd fared, but the seller said he had put a small heatpack in on the other end of the box, so I was hopeful.

I recieved the package this morning and while the heatpack was no longer producing heat, both spiders are alive and well.

I'd say while it's something to be wary of, correct packaging with an appropriate heatpack will help alleviate any issues one might come across when shipping during cold weather.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
My issue with Overnight is the delivery day is always one where I'm not at home (working). Since no one will receive the package, it is brought back to their warehouse for pick up, which essentially renders it Priority 2 days, which is the typical delivery speed of Priority mail, minus 70% the cost.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use both from various carriers and honestly its all the same in my opinion.

If a seller can properly package a critter it will survive.

I only opt to pay for overnight if its close to a weekend, if its a high dollar t, or if its the only way a seller ships.

Fedex just announced they will be upping their prices AGAIN too. Sounds like i will be switching back to only usps

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My issue with Overnight is the delivery day is always one where I'm not at home (working). Since no one will receive the package, it is brought back to their warehouse for pick up, which essentially renders it Priority 2 days, which is the typical delivery speed of Priority mail, minus 70% the cost.
Why not just schedule a "hold for pickup?"

This is how i always do my fedex packages. 99.9% of vendors will still honor lag, and its so much more convenient?

Just get the address to your nearest fedex office and pick em up from their cozy climate controlled office anytime before 10pm

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had T's survive up to 12 days in transit with no harm. Good packing makes all the difference, but the longer they're out there the higher the chance of an accident happening.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight

This is how i always do my fedex packages. 99.9% of vendors will still honor lag, and its so much more convenient?

Just get the address to your nearest fedex office and pick em up from their cozy climate controlled office anytime before 10pm
Well thank you my dearest sir for that priceless information. It never occured in my mind that that can be done :D Make things much much more convenient.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had T's survive up to 12 days in transit with no harm. Good packing makes all the difference, but the longer they're out there the higher the chance of an accident happening.
I once sent a package that got lost and was in transit 7 days and all 4 ts arrived perfectly fine.
Packaging is key...

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
All the Ts I received 2-3 day shipping arrived just fine, even in colder weather with heat packs included. The thing about USPS I don't like is that they aren't as reliable when it comes to shipping delays, and most sellers don't always want to offer LAG on such shipments due to that risk. But I've ordered from Jamie's Tarantulas a few times and she does offer LAG on Priority shipments. I don't order a lot of tarantulas at a time, so I like having the cheaper shipment option.
The thing I don't like about USPS is the fact that I face Federal Criminal liability when I send or receive through them.

JoP

Arachnosquire

I do this too, and it's so helpful. Game changer.