Scorpion Picture Thread

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good to be "back". Only working with an iPhone for photos right now but hope to upgrade soon.

C. bicolor (sub-adult female)
cbicolor.f.11.7.jpg

H. buchariensis (unsexed 4i)
hbuch.4i.jpg

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
AHHHHHHHHHHH. I want a Centruroides bicolor soooo bad. I need one.
Understandable. They were a species that has been on my wishlist for almost decade. So I had a lot of hype/anticipation built up in my head about them. I must say they have lived up to the hype for me, maybe even surpassed it.

I have a breeding group going, so with a little luck I'll have some slings available by early summer ;)

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the well wishes. I had great success back in the day with similar Centruroides species in regards to breeding projects so I'm fairly confident. Still though, I've got my fingers crossed, you know what they say about counting your chickens before they hatch and all that.

And in the interest of full disclosure, there's already a waiting list for any hypothetically available slings, with preference going to those with experience. However, if their broodsizes are comparable to other large Centruroides then I will undoubtedly have some extras available. I haven't even started to think about prices, but I will say my main goal and purpose for re-entering the hobby is to breed only rare/desirable species and provide them to devoted hobbyists at a fair price. I'm not so much interested in profit as I am ensuring the continuation of said species in the hobby. So keep an eye on the forums, and my postings, but I doubt I will be placing things for sale en masse on the AB marketplace like I used to ;)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tabor, out of interest - how fast are your H.buchariensis growing? mine have been staying pre-moult for long periods, taken them 6 months to go from I2 to I4
beautiful scorpions though!

H.bengalensis 5th instar, still nondescript apart from being totally chocolate brown!

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tabor, out of interest - how fast are your H.buchariensis growing?
I've only had them for about 3 weeks so I don't have any information on their growth rate yet. They've been eating like pigs since I got them though, and I'm keeping their temps in the higher range, so we shall see. You're right, they are a very beautiful species. I must admit though I was initially interested in them because of their rarity and the fact that they originate from Afghanistan more so than their appearance. In some pics I had seen online they looked amazing, in others, they looked kind of dull. Once I saw them in person though I was highly impressed. Their is a lot of subtlety to their coloration that makes them a much aesthetic species than I would have thought. Definitely don't regret picking up a breeding group of them.

How are you keeping yours? Temps/substrate depth? Are yours burrowing at all?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey,

I keep them in a generic desert setting, sand and coco fibre, uncompacted! no idea on temperature, but im guessing 28C+ (using heat mats w/o thermometer)
as for humidity they get a few drops of water on the cold side of their box probably once every 1-2 weeks, and maybe once every 5-6 weeks a bigger shower!
I was advised to do that from the guy that i got them from, I haven't had much experience with desert scorps in the past and was probably giving them too much
humidity when i first got them (I2).

they seem really resilient, I went away on a 3 week holiday a while ago, came back and most had moulted or were unchanged! That's 3 weeks of heat with no water or food.. life must be hard not only for the people over there!

those i keep with cork bark don't bother digging, but those who i gave slate to dig nice little scrapes underneath them!
(they also sometimes bury the slate and end up with nowhere to go haha!)

The main reason i asked was because i originally bought 3 species from Afghanistan, H. alticola, H.buchariensis and H.saulyci
All were I2 when i bought them -- Now the alticola are close to moulting to I6, whereas with H.buchariensis some of them have only
just moulted to I4 (and one to I3!)

The H.saulyci have all grown fast too (all I4 for a while now), just the buchariensis being slow pokes!

anyway apologies for the wall of text! these scorps are really cool - apparently the H.buchariensis are hadrurus sized when adult
which is absolutely huge for a hottentotta!!

Standard box i keep all the babies in:

I4, you can see where he stung the cricket! owch :(

scottc

Arachnopeon
So this my first scorpion I have been wanting one from the time I read the thread on the coffee table terrarium... So almost 4 years lol. I was told by the LPS this is a Centruroides sculpturatus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Congrats, however, the scorpion in the picture is not a Centruroides sculpteratus. It is actually a C. gracilis. I would guess it is 5th instar. Same genus, but different care. Keep her similar to a Pandinus imperator, but with less substrate and mor climbing spaces. Still a way cool species though.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info G. Carnell...

those i keep with cork bark don't bother digging, but those who i gave slate to dig nice little scrapes underneath them!
(they also sometimes bury the slate and end up with nowhere to go haha!)
Mine do the exact same thing :)

The main reason i asked was because i originally bought 3 species from Afghanistan, H. alticola, H.buchariensis and H.saulyci
All were I2 when i bought them -- Now the alticola are close to moulting to I6, whereas with H.buchariensis some of them have only
just moulted to I4 (and one to I3!)
Yep it does sound like they are just slow growers.

anyway apologies for the wall of text! these scorps are really cool - apparently the H.buchariensis are hadrurus sized when adult
which is absolutely huge for a hottentotta!!
No need to apologize! Most the info available on these guys is in German, which I don't speak, so I've just been sort of relying on my experience with other similar speciesas far as care goes. I had no idea they got that large, that is awesome. Now I can't wait. Do you know which instar the mature at? Pectine count for sexing? Any information would be useful.

Please PM me if you'd like, so we don't send up derailing this thread ;)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Had a lucky escape last night... found my S.maurus twitching in his box, looked like he was dead!

turns out he had JUST started to moult! Originally thought i had 4 adults, which is now 3 subadults and 1 adult!!! This also explains why i had no success mating them...

The claws are absolutely huge now, even bigger than in the picture

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
My last Centruroides gracilis molted from 5th instar to 6th instar today. It's a girl!

I'm pretty convinced that my scorpions have their molt cycles aligned with each others. Just like the myth how women who live together go on their periods together. Except this is a much more desirable surprise.

I now have 1.2.0. Good for breeding! She is much smaller than the other female, however. Not sure why.

Last edited: