Scorpion Handling Pictures :-)

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You would not beleive how hard it is to smile with one of these on your face!

Attachments

Last edited:

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you're pics aren't showing
so

here are some of mine

edit:
now yours work....

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
people tell me i have guts for handling my H lividum but i would gladly do so again than handle a centruroides, even if it is just a gracilis!

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish my emp was that big. and friendly. I've gotten her out a few times, but usually she's pretty pissed off. and hisses and pinches at whatever moves near her.

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nuff said!!!

one of my pride and joys.... my smallest 5th instar, Keket

Last edited:

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These were taken back in November when I got him. He has since molted and is about 2/3 bigger. He's a fiesty bastard too. I got tagged by him one night while changing his water dish. He was hiding under it and didn't like the disturbance. There was no pain or after effects from the envenomation. It just felt like a pin prick. It could have been dry, I'm not completely sure and don't care to get tagged again.

Sorry for the crappy quality, these were taken before I realized that my camera had a macro function.

Nero_01
Nero_02
Nero_03
Nero_04

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is that just an upside down cross, or the rosary? I picked up a baphomet "rosary" not too long ago thats pretty nice

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mandi said:
is that just an upside down cross, or the rosary? I picked up a baphomet "rosary" not too long ago thats pretty nice
Inverted cross with a snake coiling down it. I have a pentagram as well. It's on a shorter chain, so it might have fallen into my shirt.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
both the scorp and the pose are done to death.... but i couldn't resist :)

oh, and p.s. she headed for my curly and tangly mop right after the pic

luckily my girlfriend was a dear and helped me (well, her) out :)

Attachments

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I guess I will go ahead and share some of my pics of me handling my Hadrurus arizonensis. Enjoy.

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First up, P. imperator

just thought i would post some rather bad pics of my scorplings... im still proud!

first pic, 3rd instar
second pic, second instar brother/sister, ready to molt soon!

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that thing looks HUGE...Is it the close-up, or is it really big? (the scorp, NOT ur head!!!) ;)

cacoseraph said:
both the scorp and the pose are done to death.... but i couldn't resist :)

oh, and p.s. she headed for my curly and tangly mop right after the pic

luckily my girlfriend was a dear and helped me (well, her) out :)

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice pics, all. I've thought about getting a scorpian before. What are lifespans like, and is there a difference between males and females like with tarantulas?

And what species do you recommend, that are generally docile and inexpensive?

Thanks in advance for the help.

SaturnoAscensao

Arachnopeon
I hear some scorpions can live up to twenty years (I might be thinking of something else), but they definately live quite a while. There are many different ways of sexing scorps... you can count the "teeth" on their pectines (they look like combs on their stomachs), some you can tell by their tail, some by color, some by shape, etc, etc.

My first scorp was an emperor scorpion, I have 2 now. They are really awesome. Most are generally docile and able to be handled but it can stress the scorp out. Emps (Pandinus imperator) can get very large - up to 8 inches! Another good starter is the desert hairy (Hadrurus arizonensis). they are a desert scorpion, rather than a tropical scorp like the emperor. these guys might be a bit more feisty. they are also the biggest scorpion in the US. they are all sorts of scorps that are good starters - generally the ones that don't have a strong sting, like Leiurus quinquestriatus (israeli deathstalker), Androctonus austrailis (yellow fat tail) and others from the Buthus family.

hope this helps.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, yeah, thanks.

I meant is there any difference is lifespan of males and females, sorry. I wasn't clear there. I wouldn't really care which I had if they lived the same amount of time.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
is that a question Mistwalker?

incase it is: generally, males live less long than females
in the wild they live even less, as they are more active, searching for females to mate with, and so they are predated more often