Red Knee at 189.99??

Mcskillz

Arachnopeon
okay so I was visiting the local reptile store and noticed that they were selling an adult sized mexican red knee tarantula at 189.99 and they also had other tarantulas that I never heard of, one being a vietnamese bird-eater(sorry dont know the formal names) that was like around 190.00.

I was considering getting a second tarantula since ive had my rosie for about a year. Instead I just opted for a new slightly bigger 5.5 gallon enclosure for my rosie instead. I know that she'll probably be irritated being moved into a new home but it's more roomy and her current home was second hand home that was used by my betta before he died a year ago.....

anyway sorry for the rambling... I had this wish or dream of getting a cute little mexican red knee T but if they are going for 189.99 I'm not going to buy one.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Give it a little time, I'm sure you'll see some slings for sale before too long. (with any luck) ;) They can grow pretty quick too with some heavy feeding.

oside83

Arachnopeon
no worries

you can get redleg slings for 35 bucks and theyre not hard to rear at all. i fell in love with mine! they grow quick, and are extreamly docile (in my experiance) it will cost you to get an adult, but sling are the way to go if youre looking at budget buying! good luck! by the way you live in about the area where ive seen the slings for sale so if you want a lead on it drop me a pm

Last edited:

HcUnderoath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you can get redleg slings for 35 bucks and theyre not hard to rear at all. i fell in love with mine! they grow quick, and are extreamly docile (in my experiance) it will cost you to get an adult, but sling are the way to go if youre looking at budget buying! good luck!

cant agree on the growing quick part, atleast T wise

if its an adult female 190 isnt to far off, and the other T that they are selling is probly a Haplopelma longipes, its a ripoff you can easily get an adult for 30 bux, if they ever have a redknee sling i doubt they will go any easier on the price, so if you really want a redknee you should probly just order 1, but if you get a sling be advised they grow very slow

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I know what you mean. I never thought I would get a B smithi, but I was lucky to recently find a 2" (possibly female) for $55. The same dealer had a 5" for $175.

As for a nice second tarantula, you could look for some Lasiodora parahybana; Salmon Pink Bird Eater. They are cheap (I got a 1/4" sling for $15), and grow really fast! I got that sling a year ago, and now it is already ~2.5" and ready to molt again. They also get really big, and are puported to be the second largest tarantula, behind Theraphosa blondi (who costs a LOT more).

However, if you want something with a lot of color (seeing as G rosea tends to be lacking in that until they are completely mature), then you could look for some C fasciatum; Costa Rican Tiger Rump. I got 3 1/4" slings of them for $15 about 6 months ago. They grow at a decent rate, and mine are all 1-1.5" now and showing nice adult colors.

Another cheap, beautiful T I have is Nhandu chromatus; Brazilian Red and White. I got two 1" for $12 each at the same time I got the Tiger Rumps. They are both 2-2.5+" now, and will also be molting soon.

Remember, you can save a lot money by buying slings, but of course the tradeoff is that you have to wait for them to grow.

Last edited:

Franklin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
(I got a 1/4" sling for $25
I got my 2 (2") ones for 5 and 2.5" for 10$ they are easy to breed and very common.

but as for the red knee i got my 1.75" for 30 and hasnt grown (or molted) in the last few months.

and i love Baby slings but am very impatient for them to grow up, which is why i am selling some of mine, if you are interested :)

but i also have a lot of full grown adults i love too.

but the tiger earth bird eater was a total rip. but the smithi is decent unfortunately

Demon187

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow, you pay alot for your T's. a B. smithi sling over here is no more than £4 i got my adult for £50. As far as T's go a B. smithi takes ages to mature. i've had a sling for 2yrs now and its gone from 1cm to nearly 2cm in that time. where as my L. para i got a yr ago has quadrupled in size. again, i got the L. para for £3! just to rub it in a bit more i got a 2cm P. metalica sling for £40. I wont mind shipping you guys out any slings, but obviously the cheaper ones as i cant guarantee they will survive the trip, although i'm pretty sure they would be fine.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only paid 100 for my first 5.5" female smithi and 125 for the second one which came with a 1/2 20 cage. Deals are out there you just have to look.

Art

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow are redknees rare in the US or something? that is EXPENSIVE

you can get small ones for a few £ here and adults for around £30

i have just sold my adult female for £50 including tank/substrate/water dish etc

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry, that was a typo on the L para price. It was $15, not $25.

And the most popular Brachy's (smithi, emilia, boehmi) are all pretty expensive wherever I have seen them, and they usually go for similar prices. And of course prices between Europe and the US will be different. I am no expert, but I am thinking that the available spiders to population interested in them ratio is probably skewed in such a way that prices can get high.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i got a 4" female smithi for 50 bucks.
but that's another story lol
anyway, go for a sling, nothing better than watching a little thing you can barely see turn into a big beautiful bug

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Deals are out there you just have to look.
i got a 4" female smithi for 50 bucks.
precisely ;)

there are good deals around. i second the notion of buying small and feeding it to an adult size, especially a pretty birdeater. they are cheap as slings, and grow really big, fast.

i could never justify buying a spider for $190. but that's me. i've got school to pay for, maybe that's why. someday i'll bust a couple hundred on some adult Ts i bet. :cool:

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your best bet is to shop around I always buy slings I usually get 10 to 30 of them fairly cheap and raise them myself. With slings there's a occasional death but when you have 30 of them it's not too devastating., Of course that just the way I do it I have a large collection.

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen B. smithi in OC pet stores for a variety of prices. One had a 2-incher for $100. Another store had a 6" female for $200. A few months later, the latter store had a 3.5-incher for $100.

I was able to buy three 3" juvies for $40 each from The Recycler. They all molted within a week and two were female! {D

This species can get pretty expensive, but there are good deals out there.

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you can pruchase a 2 inch Mexican red knee - (Brachypelma smithi) for $55.00
or a 1 1/2" Mexican red knee (Brachypelma smithi) for $45.00
heres the direct link: http://spiderpatch.com/pricelis.htm

also you'll have to contact to confirm male or female, depending on what your wanting. his phone number is on the website listed under, [Shipping Info] so you could always call him, he dont get home from work until 9 or 10 but sometimes his wife awnseres the phone and she's very helpfull to.
hope this helps:)

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Or you can get something more fun that grows faster for cheaper lol. P. irminia is always a fine choice. If you're looking for more terrestrial and docile B. vagans is cheap and grows much faster than most brachys. Then again I'm more of an OW T kinda guy, so I'd go P. murinus. Cheap, grows fast, beautiful. But that's me.

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
buying cheap and watching them grow is the best way to go! seriously, who buys a full grown dog? noone! they're so much cuter as puppies...

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
go to www.swiftinverts.com kelly swift has mexican redknee slings for $20 plus you get a freebie! i would reccommend this guy to anyone wanting a sling i just got 2 more slings from him today in fact i got a GBB 1/2 and a 1/4 b. vagans