Pyxie frog pictures

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, very cool frogs indeed. Right out of a Godzilla movie!

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone else here uses smelts from supermarkets to feed their frogs?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here are some quick and shitty shots of my new pyxie froglet. I shall name him Ham. Other names I considered were Doppleganger (which I still may pic), Grisson, Slims, and thats about it. I'm still open to suggestions.

I'll try to get a better shot later, or maybe even a side-by-side with my fatty, Goomba...but I think he'd devour the little guy like a sausage.

These guys are so fun to raise. I got him as a straight-up trade for my 4 inch cameroon, who turned out to be a male, and my b. vagans that was just starting to bore me.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow well I would say ui were generous with your trade.. also I would personally house the little guy in something smaller for now so it can get at the food easier.. cute llittle bugger though!! I want to get a baby again.. hard to believe mine was only 1" with a tail nub in December lol

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea, I thought I got the better part of the deal, haha. I'm happier now, and on top of the froglet I got alot of free feeders for my animals. So in retrospect its as if I only payed 12 bucks for the froglet, not bad in my eyes.
But yea, he's in a 10 long now, and has no problems eating. He ate like 3 medium crickets and one large on today. I'm also willing to help him by letting him pluck them out of my tweezers.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool, what are those GIAnt frogs that you see on the discovery channel and animal planet? Are they the pyxies?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great pics guys, funny thing is, I'm more nervous to handle my froglet than Goomba, I walked by and the little green bastard lunged and snapped in mid air, haha.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was bitten a few times by mine when it was a froglet I cant see it biting me now.. though Im sure its quite possible.

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Load Warning.......

Nice pickup

I have seen show about Giant Pixies on tv before.

Here's a few my girlfriend took for me tonight, had to make sure the larger(I strongly beleive to be male) would not try any funny with the smaller one(female I guess). They were both about same size when I first bought them in early Feb. of this year.

male name: Skinny

female name: Tiny

both together....was pretty nervous about male making a meal out of the female{D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
eelnob: Looking to breed them or just pets?

I wonder if one'd be able to observe parental care these frogs are famous for in the wild. If the puddle the tads are in threatens to dissapear the male will dig a channel from another pool to allow the tadpoles to swim to safety.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Chase off? They are big frogs...but maybe it tried to chase it off...LOL!

Anyone know the max size for these guys(based off a credible source or a measured frog). Are they that much bigger than American bullfrogs? I know in the South big females can reach about 8 inches and make nice gator snacks.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are much larger than American bullfrogs.. they have a far heavier body. and 9" is a large male.. I have read of ones up to 11" but I am not sure that is true.. though it seems quite possible. and as for the lion thing, I had read that they are so defensive of their babies they will puff up and lunge at anything that comes near. and it has been seen deterring even lions from coming over. likely because they dont understand why the fat little frog is being so aggressive :D

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
eelnob: Looking to breed them or just pets?

I wonder if one'd be able to observe parental care these frogs are famous for in the wild. If the puddle the tads are in threatens to dissapear the male will dig a channel from another pool to allow the tadpoles to swim to safety.

Guess I'm kinda lucky cause I bought two originally just hoping to get a male. They're just pets, but would be pretty cool if I can get them to breed down the road.