Genus Psalmopoeus

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
yep, that's the same. It's the species Boris Striffler was working on with some colleagues. His paper was finished and already in the peer review process, but unfortunately G. Schmidt – who knew that Boris Striffler was working on this species – ignored this, wrote a paper about it and published it in a non peer review magazine, before Boris et al.'s paper could be published. *sigh*

all the best,
Martin
This really grips my s##t! How can this be allowed to happen? I mean I know that anyone can discribe species etc etc, but when they know only full well that a person/persons are working on the same species with a view to discribe it, why can't they leave it alone? Not only that, but to publish it on a pile of poo, non peer reviewed toilet roll, kind of takes the michel especialy when the other people were going though the long way and in my opinion the right way of getting it published.
I really hope that all the efforts made by Boris & Co were not all in vain.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P. pulcher my daughter named Boris..before we knew he was a she.
Beautiful spider. Did you buy her from a friend, by chance? I think I know where she came from, originally. ;)

Skuromis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!
Martin thinks, all post have to begin with greets and have to end with greets.
He also thinks, that you (all bad guys without any greetings in your posts) will learn it, when he highlights, that he does not say hi and good bye. He calls it '*alsowithoutgreetings*'.

Normally I wouldn't start every sentence with greetings in any discussion.

BR, Marc.

DE3

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beautiful spider. Did you buy her from a friend, by chance? I think I know where she came from, originally. ;)
Aye, she is a beauty! And you have a good memory. ;)

A few months ago, the same friend gifted me a big beautiful female regalis that I had sold him some time back! I'll post a recent pic in the Poecilotheria thread later.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus cambridgei with eggsac

Psalmopoeus pulcher with eggsac.

Eric

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus reduncus with eggsac. Female is only 3" in DLS.

Eric

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Skuromis, i don't know how many species you've kept from spiderling to adult hood but every single one I have kept (regardless of species) looses colouring of the spiderling and gets very light adult colours, these darken within 2 moults to adult colouring. The flash in both the photo's makes a difference too, in Waldo's i'm sure the flash was brighter and probably taken in abetter lit area in comparison to yours. Just because the setae have a greenish hue does not make it a cross breed, the green setae will be replaced with black probably in the next moult of the spider looking at the image, even still irmina keep some green setae on the carapace indefinately.

Skuromis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!

Skuromis, i don't know how many species you've kept from spiderling to adult hood but every single one I have kept (regardless of species) looses colouring of the spiderling and gets very light adult colours, these darken within 2 moults to adult colouring.
Chris, thats the point, I've kept slings of this species and I compared it with mine. And if I have it correctly in mind, they lost in one molt their bright bands and were black. Of course before that molt their colours were lighter than two molts before, but the brighter metatarsus was still visible.
Regarding the greenish carapace, I can't remember that my slings ever had such a strong green on the carapace. Ok, this could be caused by the flashlights.

Waldo, yes that is what my slings looked like, at the same stage.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, I was just wondering, because I have no stage in mind, where my slings looked like Waldo's.

Anyways: Happy new year ;O)

BR, Marc.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow, i love the big female - how often do you see her? i think about getting one but i have no room to house any more petholes or -webs. :wall:

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow, i love the big female - how often do you see her? i think about getting one but i have no room to house any more pet holes or -webs. :wall:
I don't see her too much but the male is usually in the open. I'd definitely recommend this species if you like arboreals.

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my irmina has green on the carapace and its 3 1/2 inches
correct me if i am wrong but dont males have a lighter coloration than the female

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mature male irminia will be lighter but when immature are dark like females.

Naetze

Arachnopeon
P. langenbucheri, Günter Schmidt

Hi,

I know from specimens collected and imported into Germany already in 1994.

yep, that's the same. It's the species Boris Striffler was working on with some colleagues. His paper was finished and already in the peer review process, but unfortunately G. Schmidt – who knew that Boris Striffler was working on this species – ignored this, wrote a paper about it and published it in a non peer review magazine, before Boris et al.'s paper could be published. *sigh*

all the best,
Martin
Hi Martin,

haven´t seen you long time ago!
Martin has shown me your discussion and we have to make something clear!!
We told Boris about 3/4 year before he started his TV show and his discription that we have found "his " new species from Venezuela about 10 years before! Better to say: a friend of us, Mr. Frank Langenbucher, has found the species. And because of Boris hasn´t mentioned this guy in the film we started this discription. He was not the first to find this species and he knew it very well!!!
So, Günter Schmidt hasn´t stolen this species!!! We asked him to help us to write the discussion. So who´s the bad guy??

Greetings.
Michael Bullmer and Martin Thierer-Lutz

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
male cambridgei molted and is now mature and was trying to catch a cricket my irminia didn't eat and she was pretty patient while i took some pics. she even let me take off the screen lid and stick the camera right in her face heh.

heres some pics.

P. cambridgei
mature male (haven't been able to get any good pics yet, but once hes eating again, i'll be sure to catch him out of his hide and in a better spot for a picture.)

P. irminia female

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
got some better pics of my male cambridgei today.

when i bought him:

today:

close up:

first threat pose from him, or any other larger t:

palpal emboli

tarsal scopula

female:

Boris Striffler

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

before the discussion is going to be charged with emotions over here as well. Here's my view of the story, which might hopefully help to understand Martin and Michaels' reasons:

First of all, the species shown in the German wildlife documentary in July 2006, which is also on TV in a "docu-soap" right now, has a name since November 2006: Psalmopoeus langenbucheri Schmidt, Bullmer & Thierer-Lutz 2006

Looking at it retrospectively some things went really wrong. My intention was to describe the species together with Michael Bullmer and my colleague/friend Carlos from Venezuela independently from any TV stuff because Michael, Martin and Frank Langenbucher together with 6 others found the species back in 1994 and I collected material in 2001 and 2004. In Venezuela we (Carlos and I) originally wanted to collect and describe a completely different "Psalmopoeus" from a different part of Venezuela for the TV filming. The bad thing was that this species turned out to be a Tapinauchenius when we were in Venezuela. Bearing in mind that already two very similar species (T.plumipes und T.latipes) are known from Venezuela and that the type material of these is in a really bad condition, nobody would really think of describing a new Tapinauchenius species without being 100% sure about the specific status of the other two species. This created the situation we're in now, we filmed the "spare" species (now described as P.langenbucheri) and the rest is history. The documentary was shown before a description was published, Michael and Martin were annoyed to find that it was not mentioned that this species was known/discovered before, it sounded like I'm about to describe the species on my own and so they described the species together with Günter Schmidt as P.langenbucheri. After the description was published I told the TV guys in November that the species we filmed has a name: P.langenbucheri Schmidt, Bullmer & Thierer-Lutz 2006. The real problem for me arose when, the docu-soap was shown recently, where that spider was introduced as being new/unknown and me as the first to discover this species (though they knew that the spider has a name and someone else discovered it first). You can imagine that Martin and Michael were not amused about that and so was I, as I had not seen that episode before.

Right after the description of P.langenbucheri came out, I phoned Michael from Australia, where I was filming Atrax/Hadronyche with Robert Raven. Actually I intended to describe the species together with Michael and Carlos and had the manuscript quasi finished in Australia, so I was quite surprised, when I saw the description of that species. As Michael and I had talked about the description a longer time ago (long before going to Venezuela for filming), I was pretty sure that I finish the manuscript send it over to him and submit a joint paper to a scientific journal (e.g. Zootaxa), after he had looked through it. As I had not talked to him after filming in Venezuela and what will (most likely) to be seen on TV, he and Martin instead were pretty sure I was going to describe the species alone. If I had talked to them before the documentary was shown, maybe things had taken another path. As we did not communicate things went like they are today.

Anyway at least for myself I can assert that I have no bad feelings about that story because I had some pleasant talks with Michael and Martin by phone. Though I cannot speak for them I got at least the impression that there are no hard feelings on either side. So a personal communication could stop flame papers/posts going back and forth.

Cheers,
Boris

P.S.: Here's the reference:
SCHMIDT, G.E.W., M. BULLMER & M. THIERER-LUTZ. (2006): Eine neue Psalmopoeus Art aus Venezuela: Psalmopoeus langenbucheri sp. n. (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Aviculariinae). Tarantulas of the World 121-123 (September/Oktober/November 2006): 3-17.

Hi Martin,

haven´t seen you long time ago!
Martin has shown me your discussion and we have to make something clear!!
We told Boris about 3/4 year before he started his TV show and his discription that we have found "his " new species from Venezuela about 10 years before! Better to say: a friend of us, Mr. Frank Langenbucher, has found the species. And because of Boris hasn´t mentioned this guy in the film we started this discription. He was not the first to find this species and he knew it very well!!!
So, Günter Schmidt hasn´t stolen this species!!! We asked him to help us to write the discussion. So who´s the bad guy??

Greetings.
Michael Bullmer and Martin Thierer-Lutz

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
mature male P. cambridgei grooming

its a color photo..but thanks to the natural lighting and no flash, it seems there is almost no color at all.