Problem during the molt/Dead T?

codicez

Arachnosquire
Hi guys! I would never have to post this in here but I' m kinda of sad so I would like to double check in here if Is something that can be done...

My Avicularia Braunshauseni was in Premolt for about 1month and Half... This morning I saw here upside down starting to do all the " molting process " moving a bit and see the new ones coming out... This was around 12:30 .... I left her there and went to work, Now I just got back and she is still in the same condition, I did not notice any movement after staring at her for couple of minutes, I just drop few drop of water on her legs but I think she had some problem and she dead in somehow :(

I got her as a sling last year and she was doing great, she molted 3/4 times till now....

I think she is dead in somehow but I would like to check with you, again, I normally witness the molting process, left them alone and after couple of hours went back and was all good... this time it seems something went wrong cuz she is in the same " position " without moving much since a bit of time...

IMG_20190108_165519.jpg

sasker

Arachnoprince
I had a similar incident not too long ago. My I. mira got stuck midway in her molt. She survived for a few days, but died after all. I suggest leaving your spider as she is now. It is still possible that she is alive, but trying to help her out of her old skin will kill her. Worst case scenario is that she is dead, in which case meddling with her now won't do her much good. Best case scenario: she hardens but loses most of her legs. Her fangs are out, so she should be able to eat. You might have to almost spoon feed her, but she might live until the next molt.

I am sorry for your loss if your spider died. It's always a right bummer when this happens. But I wish you all the best if your spider is still alive.

codicez

Arachnosquire
I just wanna know if I messed up something in some how... :eek: I keep Ts for bit more than 1 year now and I had 0 issue before, I also read that is more difficult to keep sling as juvenile/adult so I tought that when the " sling " period was done they could not have that much problem.. but I reckon I was wrong :(

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
but trying to help her out of her old skin will kill her.
No, it won't. It is very possible to get a spider out of it's old skin when it's stuck - the earlier the better. Use a small, soft brush of Q-tips and lots of water the soften the skin and you can slowly draw/brush the spider out. Doing nothing will kill it, helping it will save it.

Look into the thread linked above for a step by step explanation of how to do it.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
if you follow the care suggested on arachnoboards then it is nothing you did.
Dry sub
lots of ventalatiin
waterdish
Occasional spritz of water for drinking purposes (incase she doesn't use the dish)

But if she just started this morning i would absolutely not give up yet! I just one of my MF G. pulchra stick in her molt on December 25/26. It was not a fun experience but i was able to get her out and even though she doesn't look as good as she should she is still alive and beginning to move more normally.

codicez

Arachnosquire
Check out the pinned story on my instagram. It has pictures and guide in how to fix this.

She looks like she hasnt hardened to much so should be able to free her.

Www.instagram.com/tarantulas_glasgow
if you follow the care suggested on arachnoboards then it is nothing you did.
Dry sub
lots of ventalatiin
waterdish
Occasional spritz of water for drinking purposes (incase she doesn't use the dish)

But if she just started this morning i would absolutely not give up yet! I just one of my MF G. pulchra stick in her molt on December 25/26. It was not a fun experience but i was able to get her out and even though she doesn't look as good as she should she is still alive and beginning to move more normally.
Problem is that she is not moving at all, also her fang...
I ll wait till tomorrow before " buried " her :(

cold blood

Staff member
Problem is that she is not moving at all, also her fang...
I ll wait till tomorrow before " buried " her :(
Help now, do not wait....as said, doing nothing is a 100% gauranteed death sentence.

When a t is stuck, likerally the worse thing to do is nothing....never wait, the longer you wait, the lower your chances of saving it.

codicez

Arachnosquire
She is staying in the left container... Can be the fact that there is not Top ventilation in that one ? ...

IMG_20190108_190151.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
ts get stuck, its not an enclosure issue or necessarily any indication of anything done incorrectly...it just happens sometimes.

codicez

Arachnosquire
Help now, do not wait....as said, doing nothing is a 100% gauranteed death sentence.

When a t is stuck, likerally the worse thing to do is nothing....never wait, the longer you wait, the lower your chances of saving it.
Ok.. I managed to get her out, I pop her some water into her mouth but during all the process she wasn t moving at all... :( IMG_20190108_192000.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Good luck....even though it looks bad and likely wont make it.... it was a learning experience, one that could very well save the life of a different t down the line.

Ive lost a few like this, too...but ive saved a few as well.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As was ssid, doing NOTHING is a death sentence. Trying to help can only improve on that, not make it worse.

I reallllly hope she pulls through. You did the right thing by getting her out.

codicez

Arachnosquire
Good luck....even though it looks bad and likely wont make it.... it was a learning experience, one that could very well save the life of a different t down the line.

Ive lost a few like this, too...but ive saved a few as well.
As was ssid, doing NOTHING is a death sentence. Trying to help can only improve on that, not make it worse.

I reallllly hope she pulls through. You did the right thing by getting her out.

Unfortunately I think it was too late, I just got back home and she is still in the same condition/position...

IMG_20190108_222936.jpg

I would next time be more prepare and probably do something as soon I don't see much movement...
Unfortunately I'm not always home and couldn't do anything earlier or between the molting process...
Learning Curve...

Is anything I can do to keep her in somehow ?... I don t wanna to " throw " her in a bin , that's what I mean...

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Is anything I can do to keep her in somehow ?... I don t wanna to " throw " her in a bin , that's what I mean...
I freeze them in the position I want for a few months to dessicate moisture, and then you can do a shadowbox display or something more natural.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I just wanna know if I messed up something in some how... :eek:
You likely did nothing wrong, I'd gotten through 2 and a half years without more than a minor moult complication (a lost leg or palp) and then had 2 pretty bad ones in the space of a week

One of my A. variegata slings (got it out, it's a bit of a mess but still alive and moving around for now, it dropped another leg after I took this and I've since rehoused to a smaller enclosure).
DSC00004.JPG

And one of my C. leetzi slings (got it out but it didn't make it).
DSC00003.JPG

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Check out the pinned story on my instagram. It has pictures and guide in how to fix this.

She looks like she hasnt hardened to much so should be able to free her.

Www.instagram.com/tarantulas_glasgow
sp Kwitara River I see, and female... Well we definitely need to see if it reaches 8" as some have reported out in EU several years ago. Of course could be a different locality than yours. I had 2 sacmates, both never made it to adulthood, slowest growing Avics I've ever owned.

Also, want to see how green yours gets once full mature.