Phormictopus cancerides

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Curious: Is Dominican purple different from sp Purple?
Yes. There was an entry in BTS journal saying that it is different from cancerides (violett) and sp. purple.

I have kept cancerides (violett) before and that was noticably different. I have not kept sp. purple but from images I have seen, they are much darker and the purple isnt as vibrant.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Yes. There was an entry in BTS journal saying that it is different from cancerides (violett) and sp. purple.

I have kept cancerides (violett) before and that was noticably different. I have not kept sp. purple but from images I have seen, they are much darker and the purple isnt as vibrant.
You mentioned "cancerides (violett)" are you saying that siblings or sac mates on the species level will have different color variations upon reaching maturity? Interesting. Doesnt that complicate the taxonomy?

What is the difference between a color phase and color form? Temporary, and permanent, respectively?

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I have to admit to having great luck with this genus temperament-wise. I keep around two dozen specimens (9 different species/color variants), and I've only received a handful of threat postures and almost zero defensive behavior. I have a 6" species "green femur" that I keep in an enclosure right next to my G. porteri, and they compete for the title of 'best pet rock.' My two large female cancerides are also quite mellow, with one FINALLY tossing up the threat pose when a roach I was dropping in startled her (she soon forgot about me and pounced on the roach). Phormictopus is easily my favorite terrestrial genus. The are hardy as all get out, go through stunning color changes as they grow (yes, the "big brown" cancerides, too), and grow like weeds. Most of them are also vicious hunters capable of some of the fastest and most insane take-downs I've seen. With the boys becoming quite striking an beautiful upon maturity, it's also one of those species where you don't mind as much ending up with a male.
Seems like all the same reasons people like the Pampho. genus as well. Are there any significant behavioural, husbandry, differences that you see between these and the Pamphos that makes you like the Phorm. more?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You mentioned "cancerides (violett)" are you saying that siblings or sac mates on the species level will have different color variations upon reaching maturity? Interesting. Doesnt that complicate the taxonomy?

What is the difference between a color phase and color form? Temporary, and permanent, respectively?
I believe there has been lots of mixing with cancerides in the hobby. Similar to that of Pamphobeteus. I have had cancerides mature males & females that are brown. I have seen people pairing violet cancerides males with brown females. I think the color difference is more like a locality trait like murinus. Creating hobby forms that are just not recognised with Phormictopus yet.

Color phases change throughout growth and colorform is the mature colour variant result.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Seems like all the same reasons people like the Pampho. genus as well. Are there any significant behavioural, husbandry, differences that you see between these and the Pamphos that makes you like the Phorm. more?
Just a matter of preference, honestly. I love my P. antinous , P. sp. Durans. and P. sp. arano pollitos as well, and will inevitable get more Pamphos. My first Phormictopus was a cancerides, and I immediately fell in love with it. Since then, I've snatched up every type I could find. My Phormictopus tend to be more vicious hunters than my pamphos (although that might not be the case with other folks' specimens). Husbandry-wise, I don't worry as much about keeping the larger specimens moist, which is a bit easier. They've all proven to be very hardy and adaptable.

And, considering what they charge for some Pampho species, it would have cost a bit more to collect as many as I have if I chose that genus. ;) I've heard Phormictopus called the "poor man's pampho" (although I find that to be a bit insulting to the genus. ;) ).

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Just a matter of preference, honestly. I love my P. antinous , P. sp. Durans. and P. sp. arano pollitos as well, and will inevitable get more Pamphos. My first Phormictopus was a cancerides, and I immediately fell in love with it. Since then, I've snatched up every type I could find. My Phormictopus tend to be more vicious hunters than my pamphos (although that might not be the case with other folks' specimens). Husbandry-wise, I don't worry as much about keeping the larger specimens moist, which is a bit easier. They've all proven to be very hardy and adaptable.

And, considering what they charge for some Pampho species, it would have cost a bit more to collect as many as I have if I chose that genus. ;) I've heard Phormictopus called the "poor man's pampho" (although I find that to be a bit insulting to the genus. ;) ).
To be honest I dont find most of the Pamphos attractive - just antinous and the fake (cf., af.) antinous, and solaris.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Just thought I should share this here.

This is a photo of my old AF Phormictopus cancerides (violett) for reference.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have a 6-7cm sling and it molted to lovely blue legs and red abdomen last week. i bought it as a brown spider in pre-molt . so well pleased!
Sounds similar to me, bought a cancerides and it was stupidly fat, grey in colour and completely bald when it arrived. About a month later he moulted out into this (the legs were blue with a gold sheen, for some reason they look greenish in the pic):
View media item 40151
He looks like this after his latest moult:
View media item 44417View media item 44416
I would own more Phormictopus but in europe sellers are putting a premium on the full green/green femur/ green carapace etc variants.
Yeah, cancerides is about half the price of the other variants

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also known as sp. purple lol

Damn Phormictopus is a mess :rofl:
That’s what I thought!! She didn’t turn that color till she was 6.5 inches. I was like wow I didn’t realize you’d be purple lol. I agree phormictopus is a mess.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
That’s what I thought!! She didn’t turn that color till she was 6.5 inches. I was like wow I didn’t realize you’d be purple lol. I agree phormictopus is a mess.
Lol i bet.

Some people have sp. green that are all blue. Some have auratus that are cancerides. Some people have atrichomatus that are cancerides.

Problem is that some breeders will just toss a male in without knowing exactly what it is.

.. which is stupid. Unfortunately with many variants looking so similar, its bound to happen :(