Phormictopus cancerides

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Which New World [terrestrials] species or genera would be the actual spawns of satan? lol :happy:
I have a suspect male Aphonopelma seemani, BCF that I've named "Demon Spawn" with good reason. When I open the lid, he launches himself at me, fangs dripping at warp speed. But he's really cute when he does that.
He's a keeper.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Hey all,
I was reading some articles from others and it was kind of 50/50. Some say they are the nicest things ever, some say they are direct spawns of Satan.
The 50/50 ratio is not accurate. Although I know of a couple of people, personally, who have very tolerant individuals - most are definitely not. They are very reactive and defensive on a whole. I would put that ratio more at 10/90 for tolerant/intolerant. Not an appropriate species for someone who is very new to the hobby. There are far more appropriate species to get you accustomed to the more intermediate tarantulas without the level of defensiveness that they are capable of.
They're stunning, though. Their common name doesn't do them close to the justice they deserve. They are hardly 'brown'.

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
Phormictopus cancerides is one of the best new world's to keep. I have three (two females about 5 inches and young juvenile) and it's difficult to get one to kick hairs. I had a male that has since died that would charge out of his cave occasionally and thump my tongs with his front legs. If I'm ever without at least one of this species it will be due to my giving up spiders entirely.

Phormictopus auratus are more laid back and flighty.

None of my pamphobeteus have had the
temperament of one of my cancerides in any way.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Haha, who thinks a P cancerides is fast? Maybe if you compare it to an Aphonopelma not named seemanni. They are great tarantulas, especially if you need a bit of practice towards dealing with an old world. Defensive, yes but not over the top. You'll never hold it. They are grouchy. But they eat great, they look good for a brown tarantula. They look kinda brassy after a molt when larger. They get big and are a good display species. Best part, they are pretty cheap.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got my first P cancerides in the early 1970's, they probably came into the hobby a few years before that. They were sold in pet stores, but not as often as B smithi the hobby staple at that time. Until the 1990's, almost all tarantulas were wild caught, which drastically limited what was available, and virtually no one wanted slings. You couldn't give them away.

I've owned dozens of P cancerides over the years, and have maintained many more than that for an importer and a pet shop when I was in college (and got free crockets in return, for my own spiders). While there are people in the US that have had more experience than I have had with that species, there aren't many of them. They are neither nice nor satanic. They're one of the few NW's that will occasionally stand in a defensive pose, some individuals more readily than others. In fact, last night I fed/watered my 5 juvenile P cancerides and 1 out of the 5 stood up. 'Spawn of Satan'? Hardly. Anyone saying that is used to playing with stuffed teddy bears. 'Nice'? Definitely not. There are many species more defensive than that. I personally find cancerides to be a refreshing change from the infernal hair kickers. I like seeing tarantulas that will defend their territory. Takes a lot of courage to tell a Godzilla-sized creature to 'Go away, this is my home!' Because of this, cancerides would be an intermediate species, not a good choice for beginners.

They're hardy if kept on 5+" of moist substrate, moderate cross ventilation, with a water bowl and a piece of cork to hide under. One of my adult female cancerides has chewed two holes thru a piece of thick cork. That means they will go thru screen tops "like a hot knife thru the high price spread" (as Catwoman once said). Cage dividers are also a bad idea.
Mine also chews chunks of corkbark off of her hide. Powerful jaws.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
What terrestrial group (New World) is nastier than Phormictopus? Acanthoscurria? Oddball's dont count (e.g. genocidal Grammostola pulchra).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What terrestrial group (New World) is nastier than Phormictopus? Acanthoscurria? Oddball's dont count (e.g. genocidal Grammostola pulchra).
But... you need to understand that, as I've said, everything depends/rely/involves the single Theraphosidae temperament.

'Psycho rose hairs' are a fact.

Do you, will you believe me if I say (and ain't joking at all) that, considering everything, of course, my female Pterinochilus murinus is pretty "calmer"?

You don't want to rehouse/move/whatever, on her wrong day, my female Megaphobema robustum, for that (instead of bite) she will use her Leg IV metatarsus "unconventional weapons" like a freaking Sjambok, I tell you :)

My Ephebopus murinus will perform a 40 cm 'coast to coast' in the blink of an eye... she's pretty grumpy, let's say.

My (rescued from a weed lover later busted by the Italian army, with his dad, for Mafia stuff lol) Grammostola pulchripes isn't so "beginner friendly" like 99% of those are.

And so on, I can continue. Yeah, there's certain species with a number of % of defensiveness more than others (I'm watching you, P.irminia) but, again, everything is based upon their temperament.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
But... you need to understand that, as I've said, everything depends/rely/involves the single Theraphosidae temperament.

'Psycho rose hairs' are a fact.

Do you, will you believe me if I say (and ain't joking at all) that, considering everything, of course, my female Pterinochilus murinus is pretty "calmer"?

You don't want to rehouse/move/whatever, on her wrong day, my female Megaphobema robustum, for that (instead of bite) she will use her Leg IV metatarsus "unconventional weapons" like a freaking Sjambok, I tell you :)

My Ephebopus murinus will perform a 40 cm 'coast to coast' in the blink of an eye... she's pretty grumpy, let's say.

My (rescued from a weed lover later busted by the Italian army, with his dad, for Mafia stuff lol) Grammostola pulchripes isn't so "beginner friendly" like 99% of those are.

And so on, I can continue. Yeah, there's certain species with a number of % of defensiveness more than others (I'm watching you, P.irminia) but, again, everything is based upon their temperament.
I haven't seen you in a bit. The last time I saw you I was an "Arachnopeon" :troll:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Acanthoscurria?
Acanthoscurria aren't nasty, they just assume that any new stimuli is food and react accordingly, once they attempt to murder something and realise it isn't food they just dejectedly walk away from whatever disturbed them, they might kick hairs if you really annoy them.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have to admit to having great luck with this genus temperament-wise. I keep around two dozen specimens (9 different species/color variants), and I've only received a handful of threat postures and almost zero defensive behavior. I have a 6" species "green femur" that I keep in an enclosure right next to my G. porteri, and they compete for the title of 'best pet rock.' My two large female cancerides are also quite mellow, with one FINALLY tossing up the threat pose when a roach I was dropping in startled her (she soon forgot about me and pounced on the roach). Phormictopus is easily my favorite terrestrial genus. The are hardy as all get out, go through stunning color changes as they grow (yes, the "big brown" cancerides, too), and grow like weeds. Most of them are also vicious hunters capable of some of the fastest and most insane take-downs I've seen. With the boys becoming quite striking an beautiful upon maturity, it's also one of those species where you don't mind as much ending up with a male.

Last edited:

hplovecraftian

Arachnopeon
I had a beauty of an atrichomatus at 9"
I have a 6-7cm sling and it molted to lovely blue legs and red abdomen last week. i bought it as a brown spider in pre-molt . so well pleased! Nice to know what to expect, as I was of the impression it would max out at 7" (15-17cm) .I would own more Phormictopus but in europe sellers are putting a premium on the full green/green femur/ green carapace etc variants. Go for it, fella. get one but just use tongs in the terrarium.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have a 6-7cm sling and it molted to lovely blue legs and red abdomen last week. i bought it as a brown spider in pre-molt . so well pleased! Nice to know what to expect, as I was of the impression it would max out at 7" (15-17cm) .I would own more Phormictopus but in europe sellers are putting a premium on the full green/green femur/ green carapace etc variants. Go for it, fella. get one but just use tongs in the terrarium.
atrichomatus is the largest of the genus. Mahoosive :). They get a beautiful maroon colour when fully grown