Philth's non-theraphosid mygalomorph and true spider photo thread.

Latidens

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, so there's a guy selling H. boiei slings here. Can anyone be kind enough to tesch me how to vsre for the tiny babies?

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Heteropoda sp. "Cameroon Goliath" mating.

Titiotus shantzi

Heteropoda sp. “ozelot” Malaysia, adult female

Latrodectus elegans

Macrothele gigas

Olios
sp. " Sumatra"

Cupiennius coccineus
mature male.

Later, Tom

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Cupiennius getazi female

Heteropoda sp."Java" Female ( venatoria complex)

Heteropoda sp."Java" male ( venatoria complex)

Heteropoda sp."Java" mating ( venatoria complex)

Badumna longinqua

Loxosceles laeta
mature male

Later, Tom

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Hi
Where would I get a Deinopsis and are they hard to care for? I've only got one T, a B. albopilosum.
Thanks. The Dein. looks so silly.
Deinopis are difficult to raise in captivity, and I wouldn't recommend them for beginners of true spiders.

Later, Tom

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Deinopis are difficult to raise in captivity, and I wouldn't recommend them for beginners of true spiders.

Later, Tom
Ok. I'll just love them from afar...
Sigh. It's really a fascinating beast. Did they evolve those eyes because they're intense hunters or they live in dark forests?

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Basically both, apparently. See this article: http://australianmuseum.net.au/how-spiders-see-the-world

That article suggests that deinopis eyes are compound, but I seem to have read elsewhere that spider eyes are not compound. I'm not sure if that's relevant...
What I found so fascinating from the article was that they make that the crystal eye covering that enhances their night vision! Then when hunting time is over it goes away. Spiders are amazing. Each set of eyes have different roles. Amazing, just plain cool. Thanks for the link.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Deinopis sp. "Cameroon" mature male
Deinopis sp. "Cameroon" mature male by Tom Patterson, on Flickr

Cupiennius coccineus female
Cupiennius coccineus F. O. Pickard-Cambridge, 1901 female by Tom Patterson, on Flickr

Barylestis scutatus female
Barylestis scutatus (Pocock, 1903) female by Tom Patterson, on Flickr

Clubionidae sp."Cameroon"
Clubionidae sp."Cameroon" by Tom Patterson, on Flickr

Diplura sp. "Rurrenabaque" mature male
Diplura sp. "Rurrenabaque" mature male by Tom Patterson, on Flickr

Later, Tom

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great pics as usual. The Clubionidae is not a Clubionidae however, but a Sparassidae. :)
Also are you sure the Deinopis is actually adult? Im fairly sure its still a subadult male with one more molt to go.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Great pics as usual. The Clubionidae is not a Clubionidae however, but a Sparassidae. :)
I'm open to hear why you think this. The majority of people on Facebook seem to think Clubionidae, saying the cephalothorax is too elongated. But Sparasidae wasn't completely ruled out.

Also are you sure the Deinopis is actually adult? Im fairly sure its still a subadult male with one more molt to go.
Maybe so, I just got some WC males in with swollen palps so I assumed they were mature, but they very well may have another molt. I never had mature males before, so I could be wrong. Thanks for your thoughts.

Later, Tom

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The eye pattern, the wide/flattened shape of the prosoma (more elongated in clubionids), the laterigrade posture (prograde in clubionids), the metatarsal scopulae (only tarsal in clubionids), the rows of very strong tibial and metatarsal spines (pretty much absent in clubionids), the straight, downward oriented clypeus and chelicerae (generally more prognath in clubionids), the overall appearance ecc. Im 100% sure it's a juvenile sparassid.
As for Facebook, its honestly a horrible place for spider identifications. I gave up long ago. :D

As for the Deinopis, expect an other molt. This genus is very sexually dimorphic. Adult males have very thin abdomens and extremely long legs (more or less depending on the species, extremely long in one of the cameroon species thats around in the hobby now). Males generally have a darker coloration with contrasting white bands. Also the palps of mature males are overall very elongated and distinctive and the bulbs large and conspicuous (ex: https://photos.smugmug.com/Arachnids/ARACHNIDSNewGuineaAraneae/New-Guinea-Spiders-Deinopidae/i-HFBvBdq/2/X2/Deinopis subrufa Male (swollen palps) New Guinea Australia BL 23.7mm-X2.jpg)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Thanks for the input. I'd much more prefer a sparassid. Funny enough, If I go back to Facebook and tell them I got a ID on Arachnoboards, they will probably laugh at me and tell me AB is a joke for ID's lol. I'll take your word for it though, as you gave me a more detailed answer. I'll update photos here when ( if ) it molts again.

Thanks the Deinopis pic, I do they they need another molt now.

Thanks, Tom

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No problem, glad i could help. Keep posting pics! I exclusively keep araneomorphs so this top is very enjoyable. :)

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
@Philth what would you recommend for starter large true spiders, like Heteropoda? I'm very interested in them, but short lifespans and blinding speed worry me.