Petition! - Please take 2 minutes to help our hobby!

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein

Thank you for writing to express your support for a proposal to redefine the United States Postal Service's (USPS) mailing standards to allow the shipping of tarantulas. I appreciate hearing from you and apologize for the delay in my response.

I directed a member of my staff to contact the USPS about this issue. The USPS states that they are aware of this proposal and are reviewing suggestions to redefine their standards for shipping tarantulas. Currently, the USPS categorizes poisonous reptiles, insects, and spiders such as tarantulas as nonmailable animals under "Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable Mail." However, nonpoisonous and non-disease-conveying insects and spiders are permitted under special handling postage.
Progress! But tarantulas are non poisonous, there venomous so there is a loophole you could use to get out of trouble?? And is there diseases anyone has found tarantulas to carry? and what is special handling postage? thanks for all your hard work ken!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what i don't understand is this

"nonpoisonous and non-disease-conveying insects and spiders are permitted under special handling postage"

all spiders are venomous.

maybe not all insects but ALL spiders are.....right?

that's just ignorant. so we can ship everything!

spiders are not "poisonous" their "venomous" nor do they carry diseases.

but wonder how much the special handling postage costs.

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow... i'm just shocked a representative/member of her staff even read your letter, and cared to follow-up:eek:

all i got was a crummy form letter! .....*thoughts of charlie brown looking into an empty mailbox on valentine's day*

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm I wonder if he really typed this. Here you go Ken.

Dear Mr. Cowin:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your thoughts regarding the effect of the United States Postal Code guidelines on the shipping of tarantulas. I appreciate hearing from your about this issue. I have forwarded your correspondence along to my staff that handles animal issues and they will be looking into your concern on my behalf.

I am working diligently to be responsive to the needs and concerns of the people of our Commonwealth and country. Please know that your views are very important to me, and I will keep them in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

If you have access to the Internet, I encourage you to visit my new web site, http://casey.senate.gov. I invite you to use this new online office as a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
all spiders are venomous.
There is actually some species that do not have venom ;]
Spiders belonging to the genera Uloboridae, Holarchaeidae and Mesothelae do not possess venom glands.

I think it would be great if rules got changed about shipping spiders but very strict guidelines about packaging would have to be put in place.Not all tarantulas are exactly harmless creatures and if a spider managed to escape and bite a postal worker they would have serious lawsuits on there hands.Also some species of tarantulas have potentially medical significant venom which has been known to hospitalize people so things like this would all have to be taken into consideration.
To top that off most people have serious fears of spiders so that would be another roadblock that would be encountered.I'm sure many employees wouldn't feel safe knowing there is a giant spider in the box!
Just my 2 cents!
Good luck everyone,
-Chris

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Id think flying under the radar as it has been would be better than stirring this up. Theres nothing saying it'll go in the hobbys favour.
Maybe it'll tighten restrictions?

splangy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If USPS blocks tarantulas, then they just lose our business. Fedex and UPS still ship them, right?

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is actually some species that do not have venom ;]
Spiders belonging to the genera Uloboridae, Holarchaeidae and Mesothelae do not possess venom glands.

I think it would be great if rules got changed about shipping spiders but very strict guidelines about packaging would have to be put in place.Not all tarantulas are exactly harmless creatures and if a spider managed to escape and bite a postal worker they would have serious lawsuits on there hands.Also some species of tarantulas have potentially medical significant venom which has been known to hospitalize people so things like this would all have to be taken into consideration.
To top that off most people have serious fears of spiders so that would be another roadblock that would be encountered.I'm sure many employees wouldn't feel safe knowing there is a giant spider in the box!
Just my 2 cents!
Good luck everyone,
-Chris

The only possible way for a tarantula or any spider in fact to escape is if the dealer did not package them right. Plus people handling the packages dont know what is in them so why wouldent they feel safe?

forhorsmn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Signed it Ken. I'll let everyone know if I hear anything back from the great state of Texas :)

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Got a letter in the mail from Pat Roberts the other day. It said basically the same thing as an email I got from another politician a while back but still, cool to see that someone at their offices actually see the petition signatures right? :)

mOtOjUnKiE

Arachnopeon
SIGNED! :D

Did you know?

I am the 135th person from California to sign this petition!

*WooHoooooo!*

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Unbelievable

"You are the 9th person from New Mexico to sign this petition!"
Only 9 people? Seriously? The ATS was founded in Carlsbad, New Mexico.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Never hurts to bump this up and with the new thread started by Paul... BUMP

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are you kidding me?!

You are the 21st person from Michigan to sign this petition!

How the heak did this happen? I am ONLY the 21st person? :mad: