Personal most challenging rehouses

tarantulateaparty

Arachnopeon
I rehoused a B. Vagans sling today that gave me hell. I was moving it from a deli cup into one of Jamie’s spiderling enclosures, and it wanted to run around that deli cup like a hamster wheel whilst burrowing. It probably made at least six rotations before I got it into the new housing. I could hardly turn the deli cup fast enough with one hand, much faster than I expected! During T rehousings how have you been thrown for a loop? Has there ever been a transfer you underestimated?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Rehouses are always unpredictable. I've had my share of frustrating ones.

H mac, L violaceopes, etc.

Fossorials are usually annoying. As you have to dig them up without crushing them. Quite time consuming

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Spending ages trying to dig out a huge P. muticus and finding it at the bottom very, very angry. Then trying to get it into the catchcup :rofl:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
My P. cancerides is probably the most unpredictable. She has bolted twice, after that second time, I found a way to rehouse her with no problems.

JillGig

Arachnopeon
I have had trouble with all of my slings during re-housing. Now I put the old enclosure into a big Rubbermaid container, in the bath tub..that way when they run (and they will) they have obstacles and I have more time with my catch cup. Its easier for me to put them in the new enclosure than to get them out of an old one..especially if they are burrowed. :happy::happy::happy:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
moving 20 1-inch m.balfouri into a new home, pure chaos :p
Twenty?!? Holy cats, that's a lot! :eek:

I'm dreading rehousing mine - and I've only got five of them! They're around 2 - 2 1/2 inches and ready to move to a larger cage, but every time I so much as touch the cage, down the burrows they go! I'm afraid to dig them out because I don't want to hurt them - and I don't want the rest of them bolting in four different directions while I'm busy trying to cup one!

Any tips?

JillGig

Arachnopeon

I'm dreading rehousing mine - and I've only got five of them! They're around 2 - 2 1/2 inches and ready to move to a larger cage, but every time I so much as touch the cage, down the burrows they go! I'm afraid to dig them out because I don't want to hurt them - and I don't want the rest of them bolting in four different directions while I'm busy trying to cup one!

Any tips?
lol..that is tough! I have had to dig mine out..you won't hurt them if your gentle. It's so nerve wracking!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

Any tips?
Rehouse them inside another large aquarium or bin, that way if any bolt out of the enclosure they are contained. Keep multiple catch cups near as well of course. Another pair of eyes wouldn't hurt either if you you know someone that doesn't mind helping you out. Good luck!

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Any old world. This is one reason I don't have many and don't plan on getting more.

JillGig

Arachnopeon
Rehouse them inside another large aquarium or bin, that way if any bolt out of the enclosure they are contained. Keep multiple catch cups near as well of course. Another pair of eyes wouldn't hurt either if you you know someone that doesn't mind helping you out. Good luck!
lol! I do just this! It does help..still nervous as heck though..

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

JillGig

Arachnopeon
Lol, all of mine are New World..i can't imagine an Old World re-housing..id have a heart attack! Ill check out that thread! :)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, that's how I do the rehouses for anything other than my slow-moving NW terrestrials.

Having another pair of eyes is a good idea, too - in theory, anyway - but they aren't always as much help as one might wish. The last time I tried getting the kids (12 and 14) to help move an animal, we were trying to get a squirrel out of the garage. I was poking around behind the cabinet to get it out, and all the boys had to do was use brooms to block it if it ran toward the car instead of out the open door. When the squirrel popped out, the 12-year-old squealed like a little girl, dropped his broom, and ran - and I ended up with a squirrel in the engine compartment of my car for the rest of the day. We finally had to push the car out of the garage and leave it outside overnight to get rid of the squirrel. I doubt he'd be much use if I was trying to rehouse a large spider. :rolleyes:

JillGig

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that's how I do the rehouses for anything other than my slow-moving NW terrestrials.

Having another pair of eyes is a good idea, too - in theory, anyway - but they aren't always as much help as one might wish. The last time I tried getting the kids (12 and 14) to help move an animal, we were trying to get a squirrel out of the garage. I was poking around behind the cabinet to get it out, and all the boys had to do was use brooms to block it if it ran toward the car instead of out the open door. When the squirrel popped out, the 12-year-old squealed like a little girl, dropped his broom, and ran - and I ended up with a squirrel in the engine compartment of my car for the rest of the day. We finally had to push the car out of the garage and leave it outside overnight to get rid of the squirrel. I doubt he'd be much use if I was trying to rehouse a large spider. :rolleyes:
I wish I had an extra pair of eyes! No one in my house wants anything to do with them.haha

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I know what my big challenge WILL be. it is getting close to time to move my LP up an enclosure size. She is no OW, but is getting big, is very skittish, very quick for her size, and knows how to use those urticating hairs. Her current enclosure is looking kind of grimy, but I'm gonna wait for the rehouse.

JillGig

Arachnopeon
I know what my big challenge WILL be. it is getting close to time to move my LP up an enclosure size. She is no OW, but is getting big, is very skittish, very quick for her size, and knows how to use those urticating hairs. Her current enclosure is looking kind of grimy, but I'm gonna wait for the rehouse.
My LP is a juvi..very moody! She's not ready for an enclosure change thank god..im kinda scared for that day to come. I love her dearly, but I don't want to annoy her..;)

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Currently the only thing that came close to being challenging was my N. coloratovillosus juvie. The thing bolted out, jumped onto the table than to the ground and landed right next to my dog that decided to sneak his way in by opening my door. Other than that it's a few threat postures from P. muticus. Not looking forward to digging up my E. cyanognathus though....thing is lightning fast.