Personal most challenging rehouses

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
For me rehousing NW terrestrials is super easy, I cover it with catch cup put some paper under and its done. When I rehouse something super slow like Brahypelma, I just push it until it goes into new enclosure. But arboreal or fossorial can be tricky, especially OW, so It takes some preparation, but so far I didn't have any serious problems;)

Bread

Arachnopeon
Twenty?!? Holy cats, that's a lot! :eek:

I'm dreading rehousing mine - and I've only got five of them! They're around 2 - 2 1/2 inches and ready to move to a larger cage, but every time I so much as touch the cage, down the burrows they go! I'm afraid to dig them out because I don't want to hurt them - and I don't want the rest of them bolting in four different directions while I'm busy trying to cup one!

Any tips?
I put the enclosure inside a larger one and paint the sides with PTFE or the babypowder mix I use for my ant colonies, even T's cant grip on it so they can wheelspin away at the bottom with no danger of them climbing out.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Either my LP because she tries to hair me to death/bolts all over the shop or any Avicularia/Caribena because they just never go where you want them to.

My Psalmos and OWs are a piece of cake in comparison.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
OBT: I put OBT's current juvie enclosure and his new medium faunarium both inside of an X-Large faunarium to do a side-by-side transfer. He ran out of juvie but would not go into medium faunarium. I posted here for advice. He was contained, but not where I wanted him to go. And there was little space for maneuvering with a catch cup, even after removing juvie enclosure. Every prod attempt to get him to run into medium faunarium failed; basically it just resulted in the loud sound of OBT feet running in circles around the inside of an X-Large faunarium. A sound I'll never forget -- speed and feet pounding noise!
So, since he was loose anyway inside of X-Large faunarium, I just added substrate, water dish and a hide (with him still IN it -- lol) and let him keep the X-Large faunarium instead. I can remember basically prodding him to other side while I was frantically tamping down his substrate quickly -- and him just inches away. No lid, my hands in enclosure, and me even trying to sink the new water dish. Yeah, this one was challenging. In my defense, I was still a newbie. lol

P cambri: side-by-side transfer went fine -- but I wasn't sure if I was successful since he teleported on me. But turned out -- he did run into new enclosure as prodded to, and all was well.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My biggest challenge during rehousing isnt one involving any certain genus/species

Its individuals whose cork tubes i chose to hot glue in place.... note to self... never make that bonehead mistake again.

boina

Lady of the mites
My biggest challenge during rehousing isnt one involving any certain genus/species

Its individuals whose cork tubes i chose to hot glue in place.... note to self... never make that bonehead mistake again.
Oooooh yeah, I'm still not sure how to get my simple A. avic out of her enclosure for the next rehouse because all her cork bark is glued in place and I can't reach her... stupid, stupid, stoopid.

But the one upcoming rehouse that's really making me nervous is my Pokie subfusca communal. I've decided to do it in the shower stall and I'm resigned to very likely having to pick little Pokies off the shower walls... as long as they don't get out of there and run around the bathroom...

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +

LOL. Yes sir,did the same,with pokie enclosures.Due for a rehouse shortly.
How did you get er done,without a really jacked up, irritated spider?.I'm thinking a very entertaining evening.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dude, its like they KNOW you cant move the tube and they use it to their advantage. Turns a 2 minute job into an epic battle every time.

I have 3 more angry asian arboreal individuals in enclosures like this i have to transfer eventually...somebody say a prayer for me haha

Leila

Arachnobaron
I did a side by side enclosure transfer with one of my P. cambridgei a while ago. He chose to zip around the large storage tub the enclosures were sitting in, inside and out and then up the side of the shower... :rofl::banghead:

Yeah, so I don't use that method for my arboreals any longer..

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Dude, its like they KNOW you cant move the tube and they use it to their advantage. Turns a 2 minute job into an epic battle every time.

I have 3 more angry asian arboreal individuals in enclosures like this i have to transfer eventually...somebody say a prayer for me haha
RIP Grayzone. I knew him so briefly. He died doing what he loved-- fussing with OW arboreals. Let's take a moment of silence to remember this upstanding member of our hobby.

....-Precisely 60 seconds later-...

I've honestly never had a really stressful rehousing that was the Ts fault. Rehousing my female adult P. pulcher was a bit of a pain because I was trying to get her to go down into a top-opening container and you know how arboreals are. "DOWN? NO. NOT DOWN. UPPPP. UPPP!!!"

Just the other week while housing my new Y. diversipes juveniles though, I went to shut the canister lid and something told me not press it down and snap it into place. Sure enough, when I moved my hand I noticed two little legs sticking out under the cracked canister lid. If I'd snapped it into place the poor juvie's two legs would have been crushed. Not a devastating injury but I would have felt -awful- about it. I pulled the lid up a millimeter and touched their toes with my finger and they jerked them back in and I was able to shut it then.

Arboreals, am I right?

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a cobalt blue that was a total pet hole so I decided to send her off to a new home. She was about 5” diameter and after about a half hour of careful excavation I finally had her uncovered. I knew she might surprise me so I put her tank into my tarantulagon in the living room. I figured that would give her an extra wall to climb should she make a run for it. I got my catch cup in place and lightly touched one of her back toes. Before I could drop my 16” long stick she was up it, my arm and in the middle of my back. Fortunately I had my buddy there as a spotter and when she came trucking down my left arm he was there with the critter keeper to make the catch. Not quite as scary but requiring a delicate touch, I once had a hatch of 1286 b. Albo’s that all hit their last molts over 3 days. If I even breathed they would swarm the walls and threaten to spill out of the tank and everywhere like a zombie horde. I had to painstaking herd them into 1 oz cups with a tiny paintbrush, about 400 a day until they were all done.

Trenor

Arachnoprince

Oooooh yeah, I'm still not sure how to get my simple A. avic out of her enclosure for the next rehouse because all her cork bark is glued in place and I can't reach her... stupid, stupid, stoopid.
But the one upcoming rehouse that's really making me nervous is my Pokie subfusca communal. I've decided to do it in the shower stall and I'm resigned to very likely having to pick little Pokies off the shower walls... as long as they don't get out of there and run around the bathroom...
I use a lot of inverted enclosures and all the decorations are hot glued in place. When I moved some recently, I used the forceps with a bent piece of wire clamped in the jaws to work them down. I bent the tip of the wire around a bit so I was touching them with the blunt bend part. Then you turn it opening up (they love to run up) and work them out the top. The 1st few I tried to work down holding it like normal and they kept doubling back on me.

I use the same wire for my fossorial Ts if I can see into their burrows. You can slide it down the tunnel mouths and get behind them. Then work them out without digging sometimes.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
So far my rehouses have been ok most of them are just juvenile (about 3 still have at least 3 or so more to go) Cyriopagopus species Hati Hati.

I rehoused these guys from small to tall deli cups in the and they did fine.

Something I'm not looking forward to is rehousing them as bigger juveniles/sub adults.

Also in my future of rehousing are Selenocosmia javanensis sumatrana 0.0.2 these guys aren't the nicest lol

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
So far the worst one was a Ybrapora diversipes sling. In the blink of an eye, it flew out of its container, jumped onto another larger container and disappeared. I severely underestimated their skittishness and speed. I thought "lol puny avic can't possibly be as quick as a pokie". Moved the shelves, the sofa and still no spider in sight. I thought I lost it until I looked under the larger container which it had jumped onto and see it huddling under the lip of the container. Gave me a frickin heart attack.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Might as well revive this thread because I spent 20 mins ripping my room apart in order to recapture my Chilobrachys huahini female after she decided to make a break for it during a rehouse (doing rehouses in the bathtub unfortunately isn't an option for me).

They just don't stop effing running when they get started, do they?

I eventually managed to get her into her new home safely. Think I need a new heart though :eek::anxious::embarrassed::wacky:

sdeveikis

Arachnopeon
I have had trouble with all of my slings during re-housing. Now I put the old enclosure into a big Rubbermaid container, in the bath tub..that way when they run (and they will) they have obstacles and I have more time with my catch cup. Its easier for me to put them in the new enclosure than to get them out of an old one..especially if they are burrowed. :happy::happy::happy:
very happy to see I'm not the only one who goes to the tub when it's time for any sort of maintenance :happy::happy::happy::happy:. I've even started to do it when I have to feed my c. cyaneopubescens after she darted on me once