Parrots and how to convince parents.

basin79

ArachnoGod
After seeing and hearing of that chaps relationship with that avian wrecking ball I'd suggested getting committed to a room with soft walls and rubber utensils instead. Go insane now and avoid the rush later.
Whilst I can understand that I absolutely love my Senegal parrot. Pandora has transformed my life.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
What I don't understand about keeping a bird like the cockatrice. When the guy first got it, a chick, he did his homework. He had a list of about 50 do's and don't that he carried around with him. Nobody can touch the bird, it must be placed X when he is eating and on and on. The initial training phase.
Get real. That's not keeping a pet, that's dementia. Obsessive compulsive behavior. Get professional help! Why would anyone want to make a commitment like that?

basin79

ArachnoGod
What I don't understand about keeping a bird like the cockatrice. When the guy first got it, a chick, he did his homework. He had a list of about 50 do's and don't that he carried around with him. Nobody can touch the bird, it must be placed X when he is eating and on and on. The initial training phase.
Get real. That's not keeping a pet, that's dementia. Obsessive compulsive behavior. Get professional help! Why would anyone want to make a commitment like that?
You get those humans that dedicate their whole lives to an imaginary god in the hope they'll end up in a made up magical place when they die.

Dedicating your life to a parrot, a real living being is positively sane in comparison.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Thank you all for the information. Don't worry, I won't be getting a large bird anytime soon. I just wanted to see what they're like to own.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thank you all for the information. Don't worry, I won't be getting a large bird anytime soon. I just wanted to see what they're like to own.
Fair play to you. Unfortunately for parrots, dogs and many other animals you only need money to buy one. It's refreshing and commendable that you're researching and looking into what it means.

And that's not condescending but genuine. Well done and thank you.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
A wee bit of bird humor:
Why have pirates got only one eye?
Because they let their macaws sit on their shoulders.

Hey. Warned you it was weeeee
humor lol.

The Snark

Old Timer
You get those humans that dedicate their whole lives to an imaginary god in the hope they'll end up in a made up magical place when they die.

Dedicating your life to a parrot, a real living being is positively sane in comparison.
Birds can be strangled. Fantasies tend to take on a life of their own and self perpetuate like fleas on a dog.

The Snark

Old Timer
Fantasies are destroyed if they're lived out and realised.
Thus the reason religions carefully keep their deities in the realm of the non corporeal in lofty theoretical platonic relationships.

Imagine if a god was like some of these birds. Raucous, demanding, petulant, up in your face until death do you part.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I too am a bird owner/lover like @miss moxie and @basin79 and I agree with @basin79 and @miss moxie and others here that it is a truly life long commitment and you need to be in the right place to properly care for one.

Also, side note, cockatoos are louder than macaws.

Budgies like what you have @YagerManJennsen are small potatoes compared to the larger birds.

Some day I want a green cheek conure (Pyrrhura molinae). Look into those in the future. They are not as loud as other conures (ie Sun Conure) but still have personality.
I may go with a mini macaw once I get my own plot of land. They're not as loud as the big guys, but they're loud enough.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
My other budgie passed away a couple of weeks ago.
Here is Poseidon, I've had him since grade five (7 years) but I've never really taken the time to let him get used to me because he always had a partner.
20170930_204842.jpg