Parrots and how to convince parents.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Hello, so for the longest time I've been yearning for a cockatoo (since 5th grade and now I'm in 12th). So if there any cockatoo owners on here I'd just like to know pretty much everything there is to know about having them. I've been keeping parakeets for 7 years but parakeets to a cockatoo is a big jump. Any advice is welcomed :) So far mom has said no to all propositions regarding adding a new bird since one of our parakeets died.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think your parents are doing the right thing. A cockatoo is a MASSIVE life long commitment.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I think your parents are doing the right thing. A cockatoo is a MASSIVE life long commitment.
Yeah I've heard. Really I like all parrots and would be happy owning any one of them. I've they are almost like dogs in terms of how much attention and socialization they need. I feel like it might be good for me some I don't really have any human friends. I'll just have bird and spider friends.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
The biggest thing with many species of parrots is that they are far more social than most humans. In the wild they are constantly in flocks of dozens of birds. They would be ultra extroverted if they were human. As a keeper you would have to somehow substitute for this kind of social environment basically on your own, unless you plan on getting several parrots, but that probably takes up a prohibitively large amount of space. I believe there are some that are less of a commitment, but nonetheless, it's a large emotional investment. Additionally, even the smallest species need a fairly large footprint. Add on to that their need for complex toys to keep them from going nuts, their fairly complex and expensive feeding needs, and their bone-crushing beaks, and you have quite a commitment indeed. Honestly, it seems to me a parrot is less like a dog and more like a particularly extroverted and intelligent five year old with simple weaponry and a sex drive. This is presumably more true of large species like macaws (or cockatoos), but nonetheless, it is worth thinking about.

You might consider a dove or a finch. If you're absolutely set on a parrot of some kind, a cockatiel would be a good place to start.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
The biggest thing with many species of parrots is that they are far more social than most humans. In the wild they are constantly in flocks of dozens of birds. They would be ultra extroverted if they were human. As a keeper you would have to somehow substitute for this kind of social environment basically on your own, unless you plan on getting several parrots, but that probably takes up a prohibitively large amount of space. I believe there are some that are less of a commitment, but nonetheless, it's a large emotional investment. Additionally, even the smallest species need a fairly large footprint. Add on to that their need for complex toys to keep them from going nuts, their fairly complex and expensive feeding needs, and their bone-crushing beaks, and you have quite a commitment indeed. Honestly, it seems to me a parrot is less like a dog and more like a particularly extroverted and intelligent five year old with simple weaponry and a sex drive. This is presumably more true of large species like macaws (or cockatoos), but nonetheless, it is worth thinking about.

You might consider a dove or a finch. If you're absolutely set on a parrot of some kind, a cockatiel would be a good place to start.
What about a conure?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah I've heard. Really I like all parrots and would be happy owning any one of them. I've they are almost like dogs in terms of how much attention and socialization they need. I feel like it might be good for me some I don't really have any human friends. I'll just have bird and spider friends.
Parrots are "worse" than dogs regarding attention/enrichment. By worse I mean they need more. Also whilst even if you're dog's a chewer of things they can only reach certain things.

Parrots on the other hand can and will find anything and if it takes their fancy chew it.

What happens if you decide to go to college or uni?

Lovebirds look to be an nice alternative. Although that typed they're still a commitment.

I myself have a Senegal parrot and absolutely love her to bits. She's a riot. But she can be hard work at times and testing. But I wouldn't be without Pandora.

Redmont

The collector
Macaws can be heard 5 miles away imagin your parents in the next room, this is comthing your parents have to be on board with to ensure you can give the best care to your bird and not end up on Craigslist because your parents were not prepared, granted cockatoos may not be as loud but it is still a large commitment, I’m getting a pair of white throat monitors (for breeding reasons) but I’m expecting to have life long companions from these guys much more so than a dog. Large birds and monitors are large commitments and your parents should be on board with, although my mom doesn’t know about it yet lol my dad does so all is good

basin79

ArachnoGod
Macaws can be heard 5 miles away imagin your parents in the next room, this is comthing your parents have to be on board with to ensure you can give the best care to your bird and not end up on Craigslist because your parents were not prepared, granted cockatoos may not be as loud but it is still a large commitment, I’m getting a pair of white throat monitors (for breeding reasons) but I’m expecting to have life long companions from these guys much more so than a dog. Large birds and monitors are large commitments and your parents should be on board with, although my mom doesn’t know about it yet lol my dad does so all is good
Moluccan cockatoos are almost as loud as a 747 talking off. 130db +.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
The larger birds are out of my league. The cockatoo is a very long term goal. I know I'm not ready for them. The largest I'd want to go is around a conure size

basin79

ArachnoGod
The larger birds are out of my league. The cockatoo is a very long term goal. I know I'm not ready for them. The largest I'd want to go is around a conure size
I'd wait until you're a little older and know (up to a point) what you're life will be like.

Far too many birds end up being rehomed and it's a crying shame. They aren't like tarantulas or snakes who don't give a hoot so long as they're enclosure and food and water requirements are met.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I've heard cockatoos are the loudest, decibel wise, and macaws are right under.

I've got a blue and gold macaw. Having him means that I likely can never rent/buy an apartment, townhouse, condo, maybe even a mobile home. Having him means listening to him scream when he's excited, or his toy pisses him off. And when I mean scream, I mean scream. Having him means spending hundreds of dollars on toys he'll shred up into nothing every couple of months. Having him means spending over a hundred dollars every two months for his high quality 'kibble' as well as his fresh fruits and vegetables. Having him is like having a son who will never grow up, never move out, never learn to cook for himself or clean up after himself. Having him means leaving him to someone in my family in my will, because if I die young, or even if I die of old age he could STILL outlive me even though I got him as a baby when I was only 19 years old.

Your parents are right. You're not old enough to completely think this through, to understand and fathom the level of commitment, effort, and money that goes into owning a parrot. Birds are more than funny talky things to giggle at. Birds are feathered-kids with a peter pan complex-- they'll never grow up. They're emotionally akin to toddlers who are WELL known for their temper tantrums and parrots are no different. My boy is getting pissed off at one of his favorite toys right now and screeching. He's woken me up from a dead-sleep with his screams. Kept me awake, as well. Ohhh can he test my patience...but then he says "You wanna fight?" and blows me kisses and I melt for him.

You wanted to know what it's like to live with a parrot, and there it is. Honest and raw. They're not pets, not even slightly. They're children. I'd wait until you're 24 and have a good gauge on paying bills, finding housing, things like that. You'll also likely be in a better place financially, which is very important. They're expensive to keep happy and healthy.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've heard cockatoos are the loudest, decibel wise, and macaws are right under.

I've got a blue and gold macaw. Having him means that I likely can never rent/buy an apartment, townhouse, condo, maybe even a mobile home. Having him means listening to him scream when he's excited, or his toy pisses him off. And when I mean scream, I mean scream. Having him means spending hundreds of dollars on toys he'll shred up into nothing every couple of months. Having him means spending over a hundred dollars every two months for his high quality 'kibble' as well as his fresh fruits and vegetables. Having him is like having a son who will never grow up, never move out, never learn to cook for himself or clean up after himself. Having him means leaving him to someone in my family in my will, because if I die young, or even if I die of old age he could STILL outlive me even though I got him as a baby when I was only 19 years old.

Your parents are right. You're not old enough to completely think this through, to understand and fathom the level of commitment, effort, and money that goes into owning a parrot. Birds are more than funny talky things to giggle at. Birds are feathered-kids with a peter pan complex-- they'll never grow up. They're emotionally akin to toddlers who are WELL known for their temper tantrums and parrots are no different. My boy is getting pissed off at one of his favorite toys right now and screeching. He's woken me up from a dead-sleep with his screams. Kept me awake, as well. Ohhh can he test my patience...but then he says "You wanna fight?" and blows me kisses and I melt for him.

You wanted to know what it's like to live with a parrot, and there it is. Honest and raw. They're not pets, not even slightly. They're children. I'd wait until you're 24 and have a good gauge on paying bills, finding housing, things like that. You'll also likely be in a better place financially, which is very important. They're expensive to keep happy and healthy.
Once again it's a pity I'm only able to select one rating for that magnificent post.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Once again it's a pity I'm only able to select one rating for that magnificent post.
Thank you. This is a very serious topic for me. I've just seen far too many examples of what can happen to a parrot that's neglected. These animals are SO intense and need so much. They will literally self-mutilate when depressed, something that is just so human it's scary. I don't mean just feather plucking which seems innocuous-- I've seen parrots that will literally rip open their own skin. As someone who's struggled with self-harm in the past, I really empathize. Knowing personally what it takes to get to that point, it's so distressing to think of an animal with the cognizance of a child getting to THAT level of emotional turmoil.

Acquiring a parrot is incredibly serious and if I can do anything to help someone realize that before they mistakenly acquire an animal they aren't going to be able to properly care and provide for, for the rest of their lives, then I'll try my hardest to do so.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thank you. This is a very serious topic for me. I've just seen far too many examples of what can happen to a parrot that's neglected. These animals are SO intense and need so much. They will literally self-mutilate when depressed, something that is just so human it's scary. I don't mean just feather plucking which seems innocuous-- I've seen parrots that will literally rip open their own skin. As someone who's struggled with self-harm in the past, I really empathize. Knowing personally what it takes to get to that point, it's so distressing to think of an animal with the cognizance of a child getting to THAT level of emotional turmoil.

Acquiring a parrot is incredibly serious and if I can do anything to help someone realize that before they mistakenly acquire an animal they aren't going to be able to properly care and provide for, for the rest of their lives, then I'll try my hardest to do so.
There's a fantastic lass on youtube who has Gotcha the cockatoo. In every video there's a phenomenal passage in the description stating just how many of these wonderful birds are bought on a whim and then rehomed.

Pandora is tiny but is still a handful.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
There's a fantastic lass on youtube who has Gotcha the cockatoo. In every video there's a phenomenal passage in the description stating just how many of these wonderful birds are bought on a whim and then rehomed.

Pandora is tiny but is still a handful.
Yup. I volunteered at a local animal sanctuary one summer, and they had maybe 20 or so parrots they rescued because people no longer wanted them. And this is a very rural area.

OP, If you do get a bird of any kind, do your best to adopt. Don't buy. There are so many birds who need homes. I was a stupid kid and bought my boy. It was nice, watching him grow, but now I know it was selfish of me to purchase when I could have found a parrot who needed a home.

basin79

ArachnoGod
This is Pandora. She's tiny. But still has a massive personality.

Miss my little man soooooo very much.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
An acquaintance is mated/married/enslaved to a sulphur? crested cockatoo he obtained in 1979 as a chick. Around 1985 he had to leave the animal in the care of friends for a week when he went on a trip.
The bird was furious at him when he returned and it took weeks to quell the animosity with bird arse kissing. Ever since that trip if he is out of the sight of it for more than a few hours it becomes petulant, nasty and moody. In his words, 'like living with a angry siren'.

basin79

ArachnoGod
An acquaintance is mated/married/enslaved to a sulphur? crested cockatoo he obtained in 1979 as a chick. Around 1985 he had to leave the animal in the care of friends for a week when he went on a trip.
The bird was furious at him when he returned and it took weeks to quell the animosity with bird arse kissing. Ever since that trip if he is out of the sight of it for more than a few hours it becomes petulant, nasty and moody. In his words, 'like living with a angry siren'.
@miss moxie summed it up. Parrots are like human kids that don't grow up.

And unlike a some dogs parrots aren't necessarily happy with another human looking after them. They're a true life long commitment.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
They're a true life long commitment.
After seeing and hearing of that chaps relationship with that avian wrecking ball I'd suggested getting committed to a room with soft walls and rubber utensils instead. Go insane now and avoid the rush later.