Paralyzed T molting, what do I do?

Monique W

Arachnopeon
I rescued a paralyzed T around 2 weeks ago. A T Hawk was buzzing around my porch at 7:00 pm and I stepped on it. At 9:00 pm I found a paralyzed T covered in ants on my porch. I've been keeping him hydrated and putting on a sterilized wet sponge daily, using a very fine mist with sterilized water once daily and started to give him sterilized water with an eye dropper 4 days ago. He had scat 3 days ago. He also has a cap of water in his container and I change his paper towel daily doing what I can to prevent fungus or other complications. Two of his legs move and react slightly. This morning he had moved an inch from where he was last night, was upright and he is partially molted. Should I remove what I can after misting or leave it intact to help him complete the molt? Should he be upright or upside down? His abdomen has reduced in size at least 50% over the last 2 weeks.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Leave him alone if he's moulting. Please provide photos, it's extremely important. It sounds as if you might be keeping him too wet, even for a paralyzed tarantula, but you shouldn't be doing anything to him right now if he is really moulting.
We really need to see photos of this situation in order to provide proper help.

Monique W

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your quick reply! He's only been on the sponge an hour a day and the paper towel he is on is dry. I quit putting him on the sponge when I found out I could give him water with an eye dropper after I found a video online. He had scat the day after I gave him water by mouth for the first time. I bought a very fine mist spray bottle at the beauty supply store and spray a mist once a day before I put him back on the dry paper towel. I'm in southern California and our humidity levels are on average 30% right now. The cap of water in his container is to hopefully provide some humidity, he can't drink from it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Hopefully the moult will give T a better chance. Thank you for caring for this poor T!!!

Don't bother it while it's actively moulting, but after care is fine IF it's hardened up a bit! Be aware a freshly moulted T is fragile/vulnerable and cannot be manipulated as much without harming the poor T!

What's your T doing now? Stretching? Anything?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Is he out of his skeleton? I see the carapace has popped off, but I can't tell if his legs are out.

Monique W

Arachnopeon
He's still. Within the last 3 days he is able to move 2 legs slightly. When I give him water by mouth all 8 legs would contract and relax while he drank. I don't pick him up, Since he's on a paper towel, I pick up the paper towel and turn him over into my hand.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Okay, maybe I am not understanding this properly. How long has he been moulting? How long since his carapace popped off? Which legs are free? Also, is he currently on his stomach, or his back? He needs to be on his back, like the second photo.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I’m sorry, but it sounds like you did all you could and the tarantula is now dying/dead.

Monique W

Arachnopeon
He started molting some time last night, his carapace popped off when I found him this morning.. He was upright this morning. I think I should put him on his back according to your reply? How long should he be on his back? Should I mist or give him water with the eye dropper today?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Please gently flip him on his back and then leave him completely alone. He's been moved about far too much. Leave him in a quiet spot, out of direct light, for the next few hours and check to see if any progress has been made.
Let us know in a few hours if he is out of his exoskeleton more than he his now.

Monique W

Arachnopeon
Thanks VanessaS. I will do that. Thinking ahead, if no progress still leave him on his back? I don't think he can flip over.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Thanks VanessaS. I will do that. Thinking ahead, if no progress still leave him on his back? I don't think he can flip over.
They always need to be on their backs. The only reason that he wasn't was because he was paralyzed and did not have the ability to flip himself over. He doesn't have the ability to pull himself out if he is paralyzed, so he cannot be on his belly.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Why not just provide a picture of this molting T. so we can actually see what's going on. I'm so confused reading this thread. If we could see the T. itself we could help you out even more and also give you a more precise answer or help that you actually need.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Why not just provide a picture of this molting T. so we can actually see what's going on. I'm so confused reading this thread. If we could see the T. itself we could help you out even more and also give you a more precise answer or help that you actually need.
There are photos in response #3.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Please let nature take it’s course next time, I understand that you wanted to help the tarantula, but I’d expect a tarantula keeper to be more open minded about other arthropod species.

Sounds like you did everything you could, I’ll echo what everyone else said and just give it some time now.