1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paralyzed T molting, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Monique W, Sep 15, 2019.

  1. Liquifin

    Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

    I missed it :bag::banghead::banghead:

    Is the spinnerets, fangs, and sucking stomach molted out??? The position of the pictures are not the best in terms of angles but I would actually assist on the molt at this point. It's going to most likely need help if it's still struggling to get out.
  2. Monique W

    Monique W Arachnopeon Active Member

    I wish my phone took better pictures. Do these help? He's not really struggling because he really can't move.

    Attached Files:

    • Sad Sad x 1
  3. EtienneN

    EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

    See my previous post with the link to an extensive thread on helping with stuck moults.
  4. Monique W

    Monique W Arachnopeon Active Member

    I've been able to get 7 of his legs out! I'm glad I started when I did, thank you. Two of his legs were folded underneath the molt. I had to use a tooth pick, q tips, mister and eye dropper. Everything was really dry. The last bit as you can see in the photos is really stuck. His fangs are fine. He is still alive. Now what? Should I cut off what I can and keep him misted to see if he can manage or? I read your assisted molting instructions multiple times.

    Attached Files:

    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Vanessa

    Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

    You've done a really good job in a really horrible, horrible, situation. This is a nightmare and you have really done an awesome job trying to save this tyke.
    If you can, try to straighten out his legs a bit before he gets too dry. Leave him where he is for the time being, maybe for a day. Don't mist him at all - give him water manually with a syringe only. Don't keep him in a container with wet paper towel - make him up an enclosure with a bit of substrate in it and put him on his back for now. He is still in rough shape, but might get through this if he can make it until his next moult.
    How large is this spider approximately in leg span?
  6. Monique W

    Monique W Arachnopeon Active Member

    His body length (head to back of rear end) is about 1 1/4". I have straightened his legs out but they tend to retract to crooked. I've never owned a T. I don't have substrate and am concerned if he was on substrate I wouldn't be able to pick him up and/or flip him over like I can right now since he's on a paper towel. I really want to cut off what I know I can. What is your best advice for the remainder of the day? I feel bad leaving him upside down with that extra material on him and I can't do much of anything else for now. I wouldn't anticipate him surviving until another molt?
  7. Vanessa

    Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

    Okay, but keep him on dry paper towels for now and not wet. Keeping him in a wet environment is not good for him. You have a long road ahead of you, so you will need to get him some substrate at some point. A small bag of Eco Earth will do the job for you. Go ahead and cut off what you know you can without causing him to bleed. I would just leave him on his back for now - tarantulas will remain on their backs for a while after moulting and stretch their legs. I know that he can't really do that, but he might be able to do a bit. Then, in a few hours, you can put him back right side up.
    You have some very hardy tarantulas in the states and this one sounds as if he is a juvenile... at least. They can live through a lot - you would be surprised. As long as you can feed him with a syringe, there is a good chance that he will make it. Your other option is to find someone close by to you, with experience, to take him from you. I would post a separate post for that and let people know where you're from.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  8. Monique W

    Monique W Arachnopeon Active Member

    Thank you for all of your help! Two of his legs haven't shed the dead exoskeleton. I can tell by the color. His "new" legs are black and the other 2 are brown. One back leg that the rest of everything else is off. The other is in the front bit I can't get off. I have read on other forums of people that tried to feed crushed/soupy bugs have ended up with some type of small live bugs or fungus's on their mouth. How often should I give him water by mouth? I know his new body has to harden. How long does that process take? Should I at some point mist him in the future to possibly soften the retained material? I hope the paralysis starts to wear off so he can maybe move his new legs and finish molting? I read they can live up to 2 years without food as long as they have water?
  9. Vanessa

    Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

    I am feeding bug soup to one of mine right now, because she lost both her fangs in a moult. There are no issues with doing that. Just get some bugs, crush them up, add water, and feed through the syringe like you're doing with the water. Don't worry about food right now, only worry about water. They lose water during moulting and they are more susceptible to dehydration right after. I would give him water a couple of times a day... at least. Maybe more if you can. Keep dripping it onto his mouth until he stops sucking it in. We can worry about doing the bug soup in a couple of weeks. At that size, it will take around 10 days for him to harden. His fangs will tell you - they are white now, will change to pink, then to burgundy, then back to black. When they are black again, he's hardened up. His abdomen is a good size, so he will not be starving to death anytime soon.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Monique W

    Monique W Arachnopeon Active Member

    Thanks VanessaS, you are my hero! I call my T Junior;)
    To those that said I should let nature take its course. I killed the T Hawk because it was buzzing inches off the ground on my porch. My dogs are on the porch and would never want them to be stung by one. My border collie chases flies. I will do whatever I have to do to protect my animals. The T showed up 2 hours later.
    I work from home so will offer water to Junior 3 or 4 times a day.
    I'm in Ramona, California in San Diego County. If anyone in the area is more qualified to take care of Junior and is willing to take him, please let me know. Otherwise I'm going to give it my very best efforts.
    I am so grateful for this forum. Thank you to everyone that helps others!
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ThatsUnpossible

    ThatsUnpossible Arachnopeon Active Member

  12. Monique W

    Monique W Arachnopeon Active Member

    Thanks @ThatsUnpossible ! I read it. I wish it was that easy for Junior. I don't think things could have been worse since he was paralyzed and molted. Really bad timing;(
    It was super helpful to learn I can leave him upside down with a drop of water for longer periods of time. I would hold him in my hand and offer water. When he wouldn't drink anymore, I would put him away.
    He's still alive! I'll post photos later asking for more advice.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Monique W

    Monique W Arachnopeon Active Member

    Junior is hanging in there. I can't see his mouth as the retained material from molting covers it. There is space between the material and where his mouth is. I gave him 4 drops of water 3X yesterday. It disappears and know it is not flowing out as the paper towel he is on is dry.

    I don't know if he's actually drinking it or if gravity is flowing it inside his mouth? His mouth worked fine even though he was paralyzed prior to the molt.

    Is that too much water?

    Could he be suffering?

    Both his pedipalps and front left leg are encapsulated by one section of retained exoskeleton that partially covers his mouth and fangs and back left leg still has the old exoskeleton

    At this point, I think we're in it for the long haul. He can move some of his legs slightly but they are deformed from the failed/delayed molting process.

    I would post photos but they will not be able to represent the detail enough to make any assessments.

    I am concerned about bed sores for a lack of better terms since he can't lift his body off the paper towel.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  14. Teal

    Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

    This thread is a HOT friggin mess.

    @VanessaS is completely in the wrong in congratulating you on this monstrously selfish behaviour.

    You VERY obviously have a superiority complex.

    Literally zero reason to do this. They aren't "dog wasps."

    INCORRECT. Ts molt upright, sideways, whatever. Whatever position they start in, they should NOT be moved once the molting process has started. You need to not give detrimental advice.

    Yeah, this is not a logical reason. But good try.

    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I have dealt with owners like you countless times. You'll do whatever you have to to feel like you're protecting your animals. There was no risk here to your dogs. You killed one animal and are torturing another because it makes you feel like a bada**