Papilio's photo thread

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Time to HACK!
Since my rig -- cantilevered off of the top of a tripod and pointing down at the hair specimen -- is rather unstable in such a configuration, the 4um step size was selected so as to be redundant. Diffraction theory at this magnification/aperture/NA predicts no focus banding with a step size of 8um. So I've still got, under normal applications, plenty of breathing room before I'll need those hacks. ;)
But I truly have no idea how the guys cope who stack at 100X!! :eek:

I've received comments on these photos that they're too dark. Hey, I was just excited to have been able to get 10X tarantula stacks at all!! lol To be honest they look pretty good to me, though I'd prefer some fill light on the foot shot. But it's true, lighting of living subjects at these powers is going to prove to be a challenge as I can't wrap the subject in a diffusion cocoon the way it's often done with dried specimens. I don't know, maybe I'm chasing down a blind alley expecting to shoot live subjects at these powers ...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ive never seen that species look beautiful WOW.

Nah, not wimpy, just different ;)

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Very nice new pics, Michael! Those A. bicegoi pics are nutz! It looks just like my bicegoi in person but with a little "Michael Magic" it looks a lot different.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh my god - you just caused tears of joy seing this awesome species photographed by you! Is this yours? Such a beautiful tarantula!

David VB

Arachnosquire
This is by far the best picture thread i ever saw about T's!!! I'm fairly new here and i'm not much of a reader, so threads with 50+ pages are not something i open most of the time, but for this one i make an exception and will look at all pages to be sure not to miss any of those awesome pictures you make/made ;)

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have the most amazing spider images I have ever seen!

I've been looking through your pictures for the past few days, non stop.

Simply amazing photography.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One of my favorites. Beautiful!!
Thanks a lot Jacqueline! It really is beautiful!

Ive never seen that species look beautiful WOW.

Nah, not wimpy, just different ;)
Thank you Chris! :) I was amazed by the way the blues showed up ... they were even nicer when held in the sunlight, very glittery.

Very nice new pics, Michael! Those A. bicegoi pics are nutz! It looks just like my bicegoi in person but with a little "Michael Magic" it looks a lot different.
lol Thanks Chase! :D

Wow, that girl is gorgeous! Unreal shot of the eye field. :clap: :worship:
Thanks very much Jason! :)

This thread is awesome, great pics!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
Thank you Mark, very kind of you! :D

Oh my god - you just caused tears of joy seing this awesome species photographed by you! Is this yours? Such a beautiful tarantula!
Thanks a lot Jan! :) She is beautiful, belongs to a friend of mine.

This is by far the best picture thread i ever saw about T's!!! I'm fairly new here and i'm not much of a reader, so threads with 50+ pages are not something i open most of the time, but for this one i make an exception and will look at all pages to be sure not to miss any of those awesome pictures you make/made ;)
Thanks David, very much appreciated! :D

You have the most amazing spider images I have ever seen!

I've been looking through your pictures for the past few days, non stop.

Simply amazing photography.
Thanks so much Rick, that means a lot! :)

A. diversipes, 0.5-inch

Brachypelma emilia

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
WHOA, that's some bright orange/red banding on that last pic. Impressive! as usual!

I TRULY enjoy the subtle details your photography pulls out that I cannot see on my own w/normal human eyes. It's a joy, no doubt.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WHOA, that's some bright orange/red banding on that last pic. Impressive! as usual!

I TRULY enjoy the subtle details your photography pulls out that I cannot see on my own w/normal human eyes. It's a joy, no doubt.
Thanks Chris! :) I used the green channel plus the highlights of the blue for the image luminance. This darkens the reds thereby making them more vibrant.

Gorgeous emilia :D
Thanks Jeff! :D

The bloom on the carapace is not yet very evident, and the brightness and hues of the carapace appear to be highly dependent on the viewing vs. lighting angles.
I believe that the concave portion on the eyes indicates that she is very near a molt.

Pamphobeteus sp "Platyomma"

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
used the green channel plus the highlights of the blue for the image luminance. This darkens the reds thereby making them more vibrant.
I had a feeling you did some computer magic, it just seemed a bit too bright. That touch certainly made them pop!

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Michael what size is the Pamphobeteus sp "platyomma"? Large enough to sex yet? Nice spider!!

David

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a feeling you did some computer magic, it just seemed a bit too bright. That touch certainly made them pop!
Part of the secret sauce. :)

Whoa...Pamphobeteus is my favourite kind of Spider.

Your Macropics are so strong and clear...hot hot hot!
Thank a lot Johnny! :D

Michael what size is the Pamphobeteus sp "platyomma"? Large enough to sex yet? Nice spider!!

David
Thanks David! :)
Definitely large enough to sex at ~4 inches, just waiting for molts. The previous owner labeled this one as 'suspected female', another I received is 'suspected male'.

In need of a molt and looking pretty war-torn, but it suits her temperament.

Haplopelma minax juvie female

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow! You've got me drooling over the E. pulcherrimaklaasi shots, Michael! Fantabulous! I would like that one done as a mural on my wall. :)