Papilio's photo thread

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow! You've got me drooling over the E. pulcherrimaklaasi shots, Michael! Fantabulous! I would like that one done as a mural on my wall. :)
Yeah! Totally agree! And the best part about it: Michael proves 100% with those shots just -how- beautiful these calm, rather docile, terrestrial are! So underrated in my opinion that species, it's a shame.

Awesome shots again, Michael - so how long from getting her out to being in position? :D

awiec

Arachnoprince
Is it just the angle or does that H.minax have a snub fang? She definitely has a lot of personality though.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! You've got me drooling over the E. pulcherrimaklaasi shots, Michael! Fantabulous! I would like that one done as a mural on my wall. :)
Thank you Joyce! :D

Yeah! Totally agree! And the best part about it: Michael proves 100% with those shots just -how- beautiful these calm, rather docile, terrestrial are! So underrated in my opinion that species, it's a shame.

Awesome shots again, Michael - so how long from getting her out to being in position? :D
Thanks Jan! :)
She's easy, maybe a minute or so. The H. minax on the other hand, that's another story ... probably the toughest of any in my collection!

Is it just the angle or does that H.minax have a snub fang? She definitely has a lot of personality though.
Thanks awiec!
Is this the view you're referring to? Here it is at full-res, I added some fill flash to brighten the shadows, the fangs look normal as far as I can tell.

Notice also the mite. I had suspected them upon seeing the worn carapace, luckily it's not a heavy infestation.

Excellent as always Michael! :)
Thank you Chris! :worship:

Haplopelma minax juvie female

10X focus stack, 80 images

Chilobrachys dyscolus, MM, 4-inch

Poecilotheria subfusca juvie female, 4-inch

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks awiec!
Is this the view you're referring to? Here it is at full-res, I added some fill flash to brighten the shadows, the fangs look normal as far as I can tell.

Notice also the mite. I had suspected them upon seeing the worn carapace, luckily it's not a heavy infestation.
Yup that is the one, granted I do have astigmatism in one of my eyes so my view may be a little off and I noticed the mite but wasn't sure if it was my eyes playing tricks on me. Those little nike swoosh on the pokie has always convinced me that they had to be closely related to psalmos at one point in time.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was referring to the H. minax, yes. The Euathlus spp. - yeah easy to guide where you want them to. :D

Great pics as usual, Michael.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yup that is the one, granted I do have astigmatism in one of my eyes so my view may be a little off and I noticed the mite but wasn't sure if it was my eyes playing tricks on me. Those little nike swoosh on the pokie has always convinced me that they had to be closely related to psalmos at one point in time.
Yes, that strong similarity really makes me wonder about that too ... not only that, but Psalmos' primary defense mechanism of striking is relatively unique for a NW spider.

I was referring to the H. minax, yes. The Euathlus spp. - yeah easy to guide where you want them to. :D

Great pics as usual, Michael.
I've got quite a few minax pics ... very good exercise! :)

Breathtaking ocular tubercle photos! Seriously impressive.
Thanks a lot Chris! :D

Putting slings on twigs is a little trick I discovered which tends to work well with the spiders who hate to sit still. This sling is normally in almost constant motion, but once it found a comfy place on the twig I managed to get away with about 20 relatively deep focus stacks.

Augacephalus ezemdami sling, 1.25-inch

Last edited:

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^wow, just wow!
Thanks very much Jeff! :D

More sling-on-a-stick

I've been on the hunt of these for years, finally available to the US hobby. Attain the size of A. sp. 'amazonica' and perhaps even furrier. :)

Avicularia sp. "Kwitara River", Giant Green Pinktoe, 0.5-inch sling

Photos of adult
HERE
HERE

Thanks for looking! :)

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I like the long, shaggy hairs on the abdomen. Very cool shots.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
These shots are truely phenomenal, Michael! Almost electron-microscope like! (Well, not really - but it's getting close to that level of detail IMO)

AWESOME!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Avicularia sp. "Kwitara River"k

I've been on the hunt of these for years, finally available to the US hobby. Attain the size of A. sp. 'amazonica' and perhaps even furrier. :)

Cool pics, but WHO found those for you, huh who, who who? ;)

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These shots are truly phenomenal, Michael! Almost electron-microscope like! (Well, not really - but it's getting close to that level of detail IMO)

AWESOME!
Many thanks Jan! :biggrin:

Phormictopus sp. "purple", 1-inch sling

Lampropelma sp. "Borneo Black", 0.75-inch sling

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Awesome Lampropelma shots! :D Is it one I hatched?

P.S. Happy belated birthday!