P. cambridgei enclosure

Ann223

Arachnopeon
Hi all, got this faunarium as a temporary enclosure for my juvi P. cambridgei. I usually get terrariums only for my adult Ts, but I've only had terrestrials so far and as juvis they're fine in the critter keepers (that are unfortunately only made with more horizontal and less vertical space). I've read Psalmopoeus sp. mostly stay near the ground as slings and juveniles, but I'm still a little skeptical. So... do you think I can keep it in this one for now or look for a terrarium with some more vertical space?

Thank you!

Attachments

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
They'll make debris curtains on the back of a vertical surface, like a piece of cork bark leaned up against the side. At the bottom of the curtain, they'll have a small burrow that they spend some time in, but they really would appreciate and utilize more height than that enclosure provides. I'd look for something taller ASAP.

Ann223

Arachnopeon
They'll make debris curtains on the back of a vertical surface, like a piece of cork bark leaned up against the side. At the bottom of the curtain, they'll have a small burrow that they spend some time in, but they really would appreciate and utilize more height than that enclosure provides. I'd look for something taller ASAP.
Thank you! I'll do so. The faunarium is 20*12*16 cm. I'd keep 20*20 cm as the base, but I'm thinking if it's ok to go as high as 40 cm? Or is 30 cm plenty?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you! I'll do so. The faunarium is 20*12*16 cm. I'd keep 20*20 cm as the base, but I'm thinking if it's ok to go as high as 40 cm? Or is 30 cm plenty?
Either would be fine, really - 30 or 40cm. Whichever you can find and afford would work.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but I'm still a little skeptical
What makes you skeptical? There's not a soul on the damn planet who has kept this genus properly that would be skeptical. Get that thing a NEW SETUP ASAP.

Ann223

Arachnopeon
What makes you skeptical? There's not a soul on the damn planet who has kept this genus properly that would be skeptical. Get that thing a NEW SETUP ASAP.
I meant it in a sense I'm skeptical the current setup would work (even for that amount of time I wanted to use it for). I'm sorry if I wasn't clear and made you upset. I should have mentioned that "for now" stands for 2-3 weeks hence word "temporary". I got the juvi while I expected sling and wasn't ready for it. I quickly ordered faunarium that was supposed to be larger than the one I actually got (but it was still better than a tiny box, so I only informed the eshop they have wrong dimensions and left it). I hoped someone will tell me it's not entirely horrible (in a sense my juvi will survive in this without being too stressed), so I had some time to get enclosure from Amazon as those in CZ either don't have proper ventilation or have mesh lids.

goonius

Arachnoknight
I meant it in a sense I'm skeptical the current setup would work (even for that amount of time I wanted to use it for). I'm sorry if I wasn't clear and made you upset. I should have mentioned that "for now" stands for 2-3 weeks hence word "temporary". I got the juvi while I expected sling and wasn't ready for it. I quickly ordered faunarium that was supposed to be larger than the one I actually got (but it was still better than a tiny box, so I only informed the eshop they have wrong dimensions and left it). I hoped someone will tell me it's not entirely horrible (in a sense my juvi will survive in this without being too stressed), so I had some time to get enclosure from Amazon as those in CZ either don't have proper ventilation or have mesh lids.
How long does it take to get an enclosure from Amazon to CZ?

I mean, what you have isn't ideal but I also think it will be fine in there for a few days if that's all the time you're talking. Especially if a few days allows you to get something with adequate ventilation and a proper lid.

Ann223

Arachnopeon
How long does it take to get an enclosure from Amazon to CZ?

I mean, what you have isn't ideal but I also think it will be fine in there for a few days if that's all the time you're talking. Especially if a few days allows you to get something with adequate ventilation and a proper lid.
The webpage says around 14 days for all the enclosures I checked. I was looking into acrylic ones (because of the cross ventilation and lower weight).

Also read about different types of mesh and it seems like Repti Zoo enclosures (which are available here) should be safe as they have different type of mesh than Exo Terra.

Still thinking cross ventilation is better, but I don't have much experience with Amazon and delivery times.

goonius

Arachnoknight
I've never used ReptiZoo but it seems they do not have cross ventilation. I have replaced the tops of Exo Terra nano talls (20x20x30cm) and this is what I use for all my arboreals, including a P irminia. They do have vents in the front, which combined with the top vents, give some cross ventilation. Maybe this would be a good option if you can get it locally and just replace the top.

It is pretty cramped where it is now, and 2 weeks + is a bit of time. I'd think it might get kind of stressed not being able to properly settle in for that long.

Ann223

Arachnopeon
I've never used ReptiZoo but it seems they do not have cross ventilation. I have replaced the tops of Exo Terra nano talls (20x20x30cm) and this is what I use for all my arboreals, including a P irminia. They do have vents in the front, which combined with the top vents, give some cross ventilation. Maybe this would be a good option if you can get it locally and just replace the top.

It is pretty cramped where it is now, and 2 weeks + is a bit of time. I'd think it might get kind of stressed not being able to properly settle in for that long.
Most of the Repti Zoo enclosures don't. I'd definitely purchase Exo Terra, if I had any DIY experience, equipment for it or at least some more personal time to give it now.

I ordered one called Repti Zoo Wacool as it has some little ventilation in front and safe looking mesh. To be honest I don't even think it's Repti Zoo as I can't find it anywhere under that name (plus the logo gives it away), but people who purchased it seem content with it. The eshop has over 14k good reviews and actually promises tomorrow's delivery, so hopefully my T will have a proper housing soon.

Thank you for help!

Edit: Wacool should be a sub-brand of Repti Zoo..?

Attachments

Last edited:

goonius

Arachnoknight
Most of the Repti Zoo enclosures don't. I'd definitely purchase Exo Terra, if I had any DIY experience, equipment for it or at least some more personal time to give it now.

I ordered one called Repti Zoo Wacool as it has some little ventilation in front and safe looking mesh. To be honest I don't even think it's Repti Zoo as I can't find it anywhere under that name (plus the logo gives it away), but people who purchased it seem content with it. The eshop has over 14k good reviews and actually promises tomorrow's delivery, so hopefully my T will have a proper housing soon.

Thank you for help!

Edit: Wacool should be a sub-brand of Repti Zoo..?
That one looks great to me. 😊

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Another option is vertical storage containers. But you'd need a drill for those. Kinda like this 20220901_141824.jpg

Ann223

Arachnopeon
Another option is vertical storage containers. But you'd need a drill for those. Kinda like this View attachment 427765

Once I have some more time I'll get a drill and start with these. It looks neat and definitely will fit my future arboreal slings/juvis better than what I can get in pet shops.
Thank you!

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Once I have some more time I'll get a drill and start with these. It looks neat and definitely will fit my future arboreal slings/juvis better than what I can get in pet shops.
Thank you!
You're very welcome!! Often times you can pick up containers from big box stores or hobby stores that you can use for tarantula enclosures ;)

Ann223

Arachnopeon
You're very welcome!! Often times you can pick up containers from big box stores or hobby stores that you can use for tarantula enclosures ;)
When I got the juvi, I visited home decor on my way home and got some box made from softer plastic hoping I just manage to make holes in it (I was wrong). So faunarium wasn't actually the first "bad quick save" idea that day.
Next time I go straight to hobby shop.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
When I got the juvi, I visited home decor on my way home and got some box made from softer plastic hoping I just manage to make holes in it (I was wrong). So faunarium wasn't actually the first "bad quick save" idea that day.
Next time I go straight to hobby shop.
Do you have Wal Mart or Hobby Lobby in Czech Republic?

Ann223

Arachnopeon
I just finished the rehousing. Is this setup ok or would you adjust something? My T is hidden in the smaller cork bark (it barricaded itself there yesterday, so I moved the entire thing)

Attachments