Ordering a Heteroscodra Maculata next week, what to expect?

cold blood

Staff member
I wasn't dissing on your P. Cams :) the jade sort of color I've seen in a lot of pics is actually really amazing. I just prefer the jet black with bright orange markings on the female Irminias. Though I do agree that buying by coloration isn't the best habit..
And I know you weren't dissing:p I was being funny:shifty::shifty:

Irminia are great, but all things are not equal...At any time I can see the P. cam, its always out, once it reached adulthood, it stopped making any webs or putting up curtains and its been as visible on a minute by minute basis as my G. porteri (rose hair).

Irminia, while I agree are striking, lose some points in my book for being just annoyingly reclusive. Mine was much like the cam through the juvie stage, but once she matured, she's a ghost. I've seen her out on 5 non-consecutive nights since 8/15. So is it worth the little extra "zazz", if you never get to see it? Yes, but it drops it several notches below a cambridgei as a result in my opinion. This extreme propensity for hiding also makes them less suitable for newer keepers (along with the notorious attitude). Newer keepers worry, and often for nothing, but its worrisome none-the-less going months at a time seeing no trace of the cool spider within. Over time, and with a larger collection, hidey spiders are just a little treat to see every now and again, but when you only have a handful or small collection its much more of a let down IMO. Cams will make you giggle all the time, they really like to eat.

So if you get a P. irminia (and you should eventually). Just make sure the enclosure looks nice even without the spider, cause that's how you'll see it most often:)

I'm not dissing irminia, I love them as I love all the Psalmos, I just like cams more.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cams will make you giggle all the time, they really like to eat.
This...is an understatement. My cams are LOUD when they nail their crickets. I don't know if I have ever had them refuse food without an impending molt...and that usually doesn't stop 'em anyway. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
O.O I've never come across the Avicularia aurantiaca. That is absolutely stunning.
A. sp. Kwitara River is the most green of the Avics, and IMO the most green of all Ts in the sense that its base/background color is green w/out having to shine a light.

Take a look down this page, you'll see http://www.flickriver.com/photos/craigmackay/tags/avicularia/

Unfortunately it's a very rare Avic to find in the USA, and incredibly slow growing, almost like a Rose Hair, at least in my experience. Every time mine eats I'm shocked.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm all for recommendations.
If you want OW. The best genus to start with is Ceratgyrus, anyone of them is a good species to start with.

M. balfouri are much more pricey than most of the Ceratgyrus members we see in collections, but I would recommend them as well. They are SIGNIFICANTLY faster than Cerato's, more unpredictable in terms of direction they will leave the area, and grow more slowly. They are also easily "spooked" as slings more so than Ceratogyrus IME.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Aggressive little (well, big..) pet holes, from what I hear.. cx
inside joke with viper that i dont think he got.
i would actually say they are one of the best starter OW, they grow insanely slow so they cant outpace keepers experience, they spend 99% of their time in their burrows so they wont be attacking you when you open the cage.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
inside joke with viper that i dont think he got.
i would actually say they are one of the best starter OW, they grow insanely slow so they cant outpace keepers experience, they spend 99% of their time in their burrows so they wont be attacking you when you open the cage.
Lost... which one is a pethole, and what's the best starter? Lost in both sentences... :confused:

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
Even being new, I'm a fan of the "Queen" Baboon nickname. Calling a large beautiful girl a "King" feels odd to me, lol.
Also, neither Jaime nor Ken has any now, and I've yet to check anywhere else other than tarantulacanada, and thats no good for me as I'm in the US..

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know I am late to this whole conversation. But so far, my male and female have both been displays. Both have their web curtains. Female more than male. I have really grown quite fond of the female. She has set tons of "trip wires" across her enclosure. I toss in a couple crickets, they start moving around, she starts her out and about.

The male is more shy when it comes to feeding. He has ate everything I've put in his enclosure. Not once have I ever seen him get it.

They are by far the most interesting to watch out of all my Ts.

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
Thank you kindly. :) I'll check these out.

I know I am late to this whole conversation. But so far, my male and female have both been displays. Both have their web curtains. Female more than male. I have really grown quite fond of the female. She has set tons of "trip wires" across her enclosure. I toss in a couple crickets, they start moving around, she starts her out and about.

The male is more shy when it comes to feeding. He has ate everything I've put in his enclosure. Not once have I ever seen him get it.

They are by far the most interesting to watch out of all my Ts.
I assume you're talking about the H. Macs?

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Is this your first arboreal? If it is, I did NOT recommend this. I had nothing to do with this, I swear.

Mine is on display all the time. Never hides. Has never tried to make a break for it. I also don't mess with her, and I always know exactly where she is before I open her terrarium.

Mine hasn't burrowed, but she has an extensive dirt curtain. That security is why she never bolts or hides.
Agreed

When I had mine i didn't use any hide for it at all and grew just fine with a few inches of substrate at the bottom.

It made its own dirt curtains so when I'd open it up it would just go towards the bottom and stay there and this was at every size.

Regardless if you use a hide or not get the longest tongs possible never stick your hand in to OW enclosure as least I never will lol.

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
Guys, I think I know what I want! A Psalmopoeus Pulcher (Panama Blond.) @cold blood anything I should know about this one? So far, you seem to be the one to come to in the way of Psalms.