1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordering a Heteroscodra Maculata next week, what to expect?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Ryuti, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Ryuti

Ryuti Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Aside from the obvious (speed, agression, venom potency) what's it like keeping these guys?

I hear they're generally pretty shy but also great eaters.

Plan on ordering one and a possible OBT (i'd rather not get another sling but I hear they grow like weeds) so want to get as much info as possible :)

2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

i picked up a 1/2" sling back in September 2015, they grow pretty quick but nothing crazy. its about 1.5" now with give or take weekly feedings. incredibly shy, i only ever see mine out in the mornings and late at night, very light sensitive too. 7/10 eaters, theyll take it, but they wont chase it or charge out after it. picked up a 1/2" OBT sling back in February, about 1" now. much faster than the H. Mac IMO. keep both relatively dry with good ventilation and water dishes if space permits. OBTs a better eater of the two. they are both hell to rehouse, even as slings, very quick and they dont stop moving till they find a space to hide. take as many precautions as possible. OBTs a little less shy of the two. awesome patterns and colors on both however, my personal favorite out of all my Ts.

3. Ryuti

Ryuti Arachnopeon

I've heard of some tarantulas webbing over their water dishes, especially OBTs have you dealt with that yet?

4. Sana

Sana Arachnoprince

As far as H. mac go, they aren't aggressive. Aggressive is a terrible word to describe a tarantula. It makes them sound like monsters that are coming to get you out of malice. A better word IMO is defensive. It's a better fit as a tarantula doesn't attack, rather they defend themselves against a threat with force is necessary. My experience with maculatas is that they are incredibly shy. Mine has a very intense combination burrow and web up to the lid hide. They are arboreal species but I was advised that they tend to appreciate being able to burrow especially when they're small. Catching a glimpse is a very rare treat and can only be accomplished with the use of a red flashlight in an otherwise completely dark and quiet room, and then only after 30 to 45 minutes of absolute stillness. At least that's the case with mine. I haven't had to dig her out of her burrow for a rehouse yet but I expect it to be a trip since I have witnessed the speed that she has when something startles her/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

As said very fast (significantly faster than OBT in my experiences), and exceedingly light sensitive. They are big time hiders, and while good eaters, I rarely see it. I have never seen them as defensive, they ALWAYS bolt into their hide at the drop of a hat. Because of this they aren't the most difficult to work around, as they won't be around...but you really have to pay attention...never open the enclosure for anything until the spider's location has been identified.

If the don't have proper room and cover, they are very prone to spooking and becoming a whirlwind circling the enclosure at top speed.

They are literally the slowest growing OW arboreal I have ever raised...now its more medium growth as all the other OW arboreals I have dealt with grow quite fast.

They're beautiful and have their good points, but they aren't what I consider a joy to own.

H. mac slings are also sensitive to their environment when small, give them more room that you might expect, like a 32oz deli right from the start (or at least a 16oz), mine did very well with this as I could keep things drier with the addition of a water dish (I'm talking 2 and 3i slings, small)...Also I've had better luck keeping them on the drier side than one might expect. I lost slings in vials with damp sub, once I made the switch to roomier, drier homes they did very well. I wouldn't keep them in vials no matter how small they are.

They will burrow, so you will get sub in the dish regularly....occasionally it does get webbed up, but I keep it on the other side of the enclosure, they really web up the areas under the wood pieces I give them.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. crlovel

crlovel Arachnopeon

Is this your first arboreal? If it is, I did NOT recommend this. I had nothing to do with this, I swear.

Mine is on display all the time. Never hides. Has never tried to make a break for it. I also don't mess with her, and I always know exactly where she is before I open her terrarium.

Mine hasn't burrowed, but she has an extensive dirt curtain. That security is why she never bolts or hides.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Venom1080

my H mac dumps dirt in its from its extensive web tunnel but the OBTs web labyrinth has not reached its W dish yet. my C. Marshalli webs all over its bowl however, i solved this by putting another water dish on top of the old one, once that ones webbed up i take it off and fill up the one underneath, than rinse and repeat.

8. Sana

Sana Arachnoprince

That's a weekly occurrence in many of my enclosures. I keep a supply of dishes and swap out for a clean one each time I do maintenance. I run my dirty ones through a hot cycle in my dishwasher (no soap) and that usually cleans up the messes without much effort on my part.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ryuti

Ryuti Arachnopeon

haha yes this will be my first aboreal

Maybe I'll get lucky and have one like yours :p

10. Ryuti

Ryuti Arachnopeon

11. crlovel

crlovel Arachnopeon

I DIDN'T DO THIS PEOPLE!! I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS!! I'M INNOCENT!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Ryuti

Ryuti Arachnopeon

Fix'd that right up

13. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron Active Member

Do not get an H mac as your first arboreal. Just don't. These spiders are absolutely not for starters, have you had an OW before?

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. Venom1080

ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!!! GET OFF THE BOARDS!!! jk i know

15. Ryuti

Ryuti Arachnopeon

I have a P lugardi sling but it's only about an inch

had it for about a month now

16. Venom1080

dont get it bud, terrible idea. if you have less than 15 Ts that you have had for over a few years, dont do it, for your own sake.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ryuti

Ryuti Arachnopeon

I'm well aware of the risk of these guys.

18. Venom1080

honestly, give it time and dont get it. pick up a P. Irminia or Cambriegi if you must, but not a Hmac or OBT. i wanted a Hmac really bad as well in the beginning but i know now i would have killed it or it would have escaped or something. im still a little nervous working around it and ive had OWs for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sana

Sana Arachnoprince

I wouldn't advise an H. mac unless you have an OW that you have raised to adulthood already. Lots of practice in rehousing hot, fast spiders, as well as maintaining their enclosures over a couple of years is the best possible groundwork for having a maculata. I highly recommend waiting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron Active Member

You may be aware of the risk, but Its a matter of being prepared for it. If this is your first arboreal and you've only kept 1 other OW for a month I highly suggest you wait on this. there's no rush and some more experience would benefit you a lot in dealing with a very fast, very difficult to predict T like an arboreal OW.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1