Opinions on P Metallica

BassAssassin

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. I can possibly get a P Metallica pair for what seems like a steal. They are about 3". My question is, how long before maturity is reached and breeding is possible. I'm rather unfamiliar with his particular species. Thanks. Also, do you think the price of these guys will go down with all the matings going on?

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Probably a year or two. How much are you getting them for?

That's normally how it goes. When the local market is saturated with an item that was previously expensive as supply was nowhere near demand, the price typically goes down.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Breeding can occur when the spermathecae are sclerotized and much sooner than most realize, but if you're planning on purchasing a pair of P.metallica for anything other than enjoyment I would pass. For some reason people think you can make money breeding tarantulas. :? :? Di

BassAssassin

Arachnopeon
Seems legit by for that price it's hard to believe. Think I may hold off anyway. Quite a few breedings seem to be taking place.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with Anastasia. That is a totally unrealistic figure for even a pair of slings. Run don't walk away from that "deal" unless you're doing it in person. Di

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with the above comments. This 'deal' sounds too good to be true. If the 'dealer' wants to do anything but a face to face transaction, I'd be very cautious.

If you absolutely must go through with the deal, insist on payment through something like Paypal where you can recover your money if the deal turns sour. DO NOT use Western Union, Direct Transfer, or Email Money Transfer to sent this person money. EVER.
Take it from me, I am a Technical/Security Consultant and just went through an ordeal with another AB member who made a deal for a B. smithi on Kijiji and sent money via EMT. The seller then refused to communicate with him. I ended up digging up a ton of info on this person which uncovered a 5 year history of defrauding people on the internet. Everything from car parts, to geckos. I then found a ton of personal information on the guy. His frequent hangouts, contact information for his friends, his chihuahua's name, employment information, etc. His shift supervisor was even so nice as to provide an entire work schedule since the person who started communicating with me (on the seller's email address) said that he had 'disappeared' a few days earlier and this 'friend' was just watching over his stuff (and apparently his email) while he was gone. I did manage to get the 'friend' to ship out the T the very next morning and I'm happy to report that it is now in the rightful owner's possession getting the care it deserves.

Don't let the above situation happen to you.

Last edited:

BassAssassin

Arachnopeon
Hah I know I'm smarter than that. Paypal is the only way I will go through with this. But you just never know how those things will go. I'll let you guys know what I decide.

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's looking like 225 for the pair.
hmmm i know someone locally selling a pair for less than 250$
male and female both 5inches

while getting back few years ago it really sounded impossible for this price :)

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would get them. Mayby try to breed later just for experience, but at that price you cant go wrong. Then female is worth it just as a display then you could possibly just sell the male of send it on a brreding loan if you dont want to breed it yourself. Around me a single sling isnt much cheaper then that pair.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would get them. Mayby try to breed later just for experience, but at that price you cant go wrong. Then female is worth it just as a display then you could possibly just sell the male of send it on a brreding loan if you dont want to breed it yourself. Around me a single sling isnt much cheaper then that pair.
for experience Mayby you should try breed parahybana or obt first ;)
and as you said 'single sling' cost isnt chipper then that pair he got offered
Raise a Red flag right there

BassAssassin

Arachnopeon
The deal seems pretty good. They are beautiful spiders, their color is amazing. I would definitely attempt breeding another, easier, species before these down the road if not just raise him and put him out on breeding loan of some sort. But it would definitely be nice to have the beautiful pair in my room. I believe the seller is out of the states but due to return soon then ship? I have not quite figured out all of the details due to e-mail being the only form of communication this far. But if all seems legit I think I will do it. Still may require a weekend or so of extra work but everything has it's price......

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey you gotta a better chance getting a job then to breed t's and making some sort of income, kewl t's tho.

BassAssassin

Arachnopeon
I have a job if that's what you, who don't know me, are tryig to get at. And it's not about the money, it's about the scarcity of these in the hobby and people selling 1/2" slings for almost 2 bones. If I were doing this for money I wouldn't call it a hobby but a job. Hah the time it would take for these to mature and then only the possibility of a sac.... Do you honestly think that i think a living can be made on one mating? Don't be so quick to inform someone else of their own incentives. I do this for fun not to pay the bills.