OBT is arboreal or terrestrial?

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine is both!
Lives in a vertical web that extends into the substrate and runs horizontally.
It is L shaped with the horizontal part extending daily.
I have noticed that the OBT atacks quicker and eats more when the roach enters from the bottom, but it will still take a roach from the forceps thru the feeding door directly over the top opening of the web.

In the looking-down shot, it was there then the camera scared it down to the corner where its outta sight from any angle . . . sorry, but cool web, huh?

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
from what I understand these guys are semiaborial and oppertunistic burrowers in other words they do what ever they want. Realy tough little T's. However I can't say for certian as my obt sling just uses a hide that I set up for him/her and luckly the orange little devil has not yet webbed up all and sundry so I can leave out a small shallow water dish he is only about an 1.5" and he is my first OW so can only tell you what I have read hear on the boards.

carl

Arachnopeon
mine decided that it is an arboreal t... another observation my obt would destroy its web once in a while and would make another one at the same exact spot. weird

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hve never seen mine on the substrate, but I always catch it climbing.
I love my OBT, its lightning fast and fairly aggressive.

I guess I wasnt really asking that question as much as I was showing off its beautiful web . . .

:D

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What Yanose said; these guys aren't picky, they seem to do a little bit of both and will happily take up shop in everything from self-made burrows to webbing up branches to pre-made hides. Most suggestions I've seen here for enclosures point in the direction of a set-up permitting for both climbing and burrowing.

I gave my adult a set-up that has both climbing room and digging space, and provided a corkbark tube at a diagonal that goes from nearly the top of the tank to well below the dirt. She's lived in there ever since. I have two slings as well who had burrows when I received them, but when I added something vertical, they webbed up its side and made a combination burrow/web-tunnel from it.

TarantulaTeen

Arachnopeon
My obt

Whats up.:cool:
Well my tarantula is a mixture of both. It dug a burrow and then made a vertical tunnel of web on the conner of its tank.:D The only time it comes out is when it throw aways its crickets remains and I can see her clearly in her burrow tunnel.{D
She usally stays in her tunnel than her burrow unless eating.
Thats all.:p

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
With attitude like they have, they are what they wanna be{D

PIG-

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have seen them in the wild, and found them in both burrows in the ground aswell as under bark on trees, so seems they are both/either. :)

Hanes

Arachnosquire
My sling has only burrowed in the few months I've had it

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
Ive got two that are terrestrial and burrow and one who spends most of its time at the top of its enclosure so id agree with everyone else's statements

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ours used to be both, but then we made it a very cool new enclosure(that was too big for it) and since it had ample substrate to burrow in; that's all it has done for the last year. We see its toes when its hungry and we have caught it out on the prowl a couple of times, but no crazy tube web like we dreamed of. Maybe next year.....

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My last OBT was a large female, and while she did show some arboreal tendancies, she decided to make herself an insane tunnel system as her permanent home. I'd catch her out on some corkbark now and then, but by and large she was a ground dweller.

And, while they can do both, I think that they probably on the whole tend to be more of a terrestrial species making shallow burrows or webbing the hell out of everything right at ground level.

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine is both!
Lives in a vertical web that extends into the substrate and runs horizontally.
It is L shaped with the horizontal part extending daily.
I have noticed that the OBT atacks quicker and eats more when the roach enters from the bottom, but it will still take a roach from the forceps thru the feeding door directly over the top opening of the web.

In the looking-down shot, it was there then the camera scared it down to the corner where its outta sight from any angle . . . sorry, but cool web, huh?
Are those fake leaves what I think it is....lmao:3:

k2power

Arachnoknight
Yes I believe they are exactly what you thought they were....fake hibiscus leaves!!!

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I've just gotten started with OBTs. Four slings and a juv. Two of the slings have webbed burrows. One has a partial burrow with an overhead hammock canopy, and doesn't mind staying out in the open. I've had it a couple of weeks and see it in the canopy frequently. The fourth has a web canopy.

The juv was acquired in a deli cup, heavily webbed. He/she has been moved into a habitat that had a big log hide. She/he promptly decided that was perfect, went down into the hide and has curtained off just past it's body.

A mix of behaviours and housing preferences.

Marga

WhiskyTrekker

Arachnopeon
That is a pretty cool looking web! Nice enclosure too...
Mine always just web the heck out of everything everywhere and will be in, on under the substrate web-mess or on the sides or on the lid or...well, yeah, same as everyone esle said.
Nice web though...looks nice and clean!

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
Well to be honest my obt's act like petholes. They made a burrow and webbed a tube out of it next to the container. But the only time i se them is when its feeding time, and that is just for a split second, then they will catch the crix and get back into the burrow. But they are only at about 1 inch at the moment so lets hope things change as they grow .

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
After rehousing, mine is as much a pet hole as any Haplo.
NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPEN TO MINE, I REHOUSED THEM AND THATS WHEN THEY STARTED BURROWING . NOW ITS TIME TO REHOUSE AGAIN AND LETS HOPE THEY TAKE TO THEIR ARBOREAL SIDE THIS TIME.:wall:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPEN TO MINE, I REHOUSED THEM AND THATS WHEN THEY STARTED BURROWING . NOW ITS TIME TO REHOUSE AGAIN AND LETS HOPE THEY TAKE TO THEIR ARBOREAL SIDE THIS TIME.:wall:
All caps is usually interpreted as yelling online, just FYI.
I think mine just burrows now because it has more room, and it molted. Sometime's T's change temperment from molt to molt, I see no reason why an adaptable T like an OBT wouldn't change from burrower to arboreal to terrestrial from molt to molt.