OBT is arboreal or terrestrial?

Larkin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

In the following paper there is briefly described the ecology of this species

• Gallon, R.C. 2002. Revision of the African genera Pterinochilus and Eucratoscelus (Araneae, Theraphosidae, Harpactirinae) with description of two new genera. Bulletin of the British Arachnological Society 12: 201-232.

We can read there that P.murinus:
constructs a dense, tubular, silken retreat beneath stones, logs and houses. It can also live arboreally within hollow tree branches. It does not seems to construct burrows, but merely occupies and adapts existing cavities.
while P.chordatus for example is
a fossorial species occurring in grassland habitats.
Cheers,
Tomasz

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry about that didn't realize it until i sent the text. :8o
No big.:D

Larkin: That's terrific, but that's not what mine does at all.:}
EDIT: Actually, I've had a cold, so...it might be dead and I can't tell. That would suck.

TarantulaTeen

Arachnopeon
my obt

Hey again it me Chance right now when I rehoused my obt it burrowed down in the subtrate like 6 inches and made a nice little den and yet she wasnt saticfied so she web up more than half the cage.:D now you can call that a hard working girl :clap:
ps cant take pics my camrea broken :mad:

RobM

Arachnopeon
the first obt i hade years ago would web like crazy but it was in the upper corners of her tank. Very tricky when it was feeding time. I just got two sling about a week ago an they both seem to like it up high. But only time will tell they are very smart in my eyes

8leglock

Arachnopeon
I have 7 living together ( feeding time is a pain). Mine are all over the place from borrowing to building webs near the top of the tank. The funny part I noticed with my guys/gals, when one is done building a home a slightly larger one comes along and kicks em out and takes over lol. I have one, don't think it built a single tunnel on it's own. I love how they chase each other around the tanks. Never had any cannibal issues either.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
The female I had lived in a burrow but laid her egg sack on one of the upper corners of the cage, stayed there until the eggs hatched and went back to the ground burrow. So go figure :).

akpropst

Arachnopeon
Mine is around 3in. or so and very much terrestrial. When I spy on him/her at night she comes out and makes an odd dirt curtain around the entire enclosure placing piles of dirt all over making very intricate tunnels throughout the substrate. By morning it has taken the curtains down creating another maze of dirt/web with openings everywhere. Skittish, but doesn't hide all day, I turn my desk lamp on which gives some heat I guess and it comes out and basks, along with my avics. My C. fimbriatus on the other hand never comes out, and even made a volcano type hide in her old enclosure before I rehoused.

Ben Oliver

Arachnopeon
my obt that i have is mainly a terrestiel. i have had it for about 3 or 4 months now. and the funney thing is that my obt is less aggressive or defensive or jumpy than a couple of my Avics.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My oldest OBT's enclosure is 5.5" diameter x ~10" tall. It started with ~3" substrate in the bottom. After 8 months of intense re-decorating on his part, the substrate is even up in the lid. From a distance, it looks like a container filled to the brim with substrate. Up closer, you can see the webbed tunnels. Pretty amazing, actually. :)

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
I have 2 Obts. One is for sure terrestrial, the other is arboreal. I'm not going to lie at the beginning they were intimidating. Super fast. Stronger Venom.... Old world...

Having 2 of these really helped me in dealing with breakouts and Ts on the loose. However my female obt is really quite "gentle" she doesn't mind when I clean her cage. Or tease them with a blade of grass. The other obt is the regular obt. Bites, hisses, throws up gangsigns and hunts you while u clean its cage. Not sure if it's confirmed female's but here's to hoping :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have 2 Obts. One is for sure terrestrial, the other is arboreal. I'm not going to lie at the beginning they were intimidating. Super fast. Stronger Venom.... Old world...

Having 2 of these really helped me in dealing with breakouts and Ts on the loose. However my female obt is really quite "gentle" she doesn't mind when I clean her cage. Or tease them with a blade of grass. The other obt is the regular obt. Bites, hisses, throws up gangsigns and hunts you while u clean its cage. Not sure if it's confirmed female's but here's to hoping :)
The thread is a decade old, friend ;) You're more likely to get replies when responding to recent topics or making a new thread all together.