OBT bites

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There is a legned known as cyote peterson on youtube that has made it hos goal to test the insect sting pain index. He has been stung by the tarantula hawk wasp, velvet ant, bullet at, the warrior wasp, and many others. Check him out on youtube, its very entertaining
That guy is stupid. Entertaining, maybe. But calling a Nephilia sp.a creepy crawly and try to get this calm species to bite you is just...sensationalism at its height. His kind of documentaries are what sustains irrational fear for creatures who would not harm you if left alone.
Entertaining... Maybe from a sadists' point of view or gloating that the stupid guy gets hurt and serves him right...

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
There is a legned known as cyote peterson on youtube that has made it hos goal to test the insect sting pain index. He has been stung by the tarantula hawk wasp, velvet ant, bullet at, the warrior wasp, and many others. Check him out on youtube, its very entertaining
I've watched all those videos. I do not envy Coyote's job in the slightest. . . Ok maybe a little. lol I didn't even know there was a sting pain index scale before I watched his videos.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Andrea82 @Chris LXXIX .

Is it true that P.murinus venom is similar to that of that a black widow in strength and potency?
I don't know because, first hand and, in this case, first finger (lol) I was never bitten by those spooders, nor I plan to discover that in the future :)

IMO? No. It's like the stupid bee sting comparison.

There is only one thing that can match a L.mactans (the 'Black Widow) bite and that thing is... another L.mactans bite.

Nature always differs. Think different.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Because he is Scottish and is made of iron :rolleyes:
I'm watching you from the wall*, oh you badass Picts.
Today like yesterday, despite the fact that I have Longobard and Celt heritage more than Roman :kiss:

* Vallo di Adriano (Hadrian's Wall)

Devin B

Arachnobaron
That guy is stupid. Entertaining, maybe. But calling a Nephilia sp.a creepy crawly and try to get this calm species to bite you is just...sensationalism at its height. His kind of documentaries are what sustains irrational fear for creatures who would not harm you if left alone.
Entertaining... Maybe from a sadists' point of view or gloating that the stupid guy gets hurt and serves him right...
I disagree that his videos are what sustains irrational fear. The majority of his videos are showcasing wildlife very gently. His bite and sting videos seem to be his hook that sets him apart from other nature shows.

Mjb30

Arachnosquire
I disagree that his videos are what sustains irrational fear. The majority of his videos are showcasing wildlife very gently. His bite and sting videos seem to be his hook that sets him apart from other nature shows.
I agree with this. His channel has huge watchability due to his enthusiasm, his confident and likeable personality and obviously that he’s getting stung/bitten on purpose by these wonderful creatures.

He always handles with care and I see him as a great example of a mainstream educator in the field of Zoology.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
??? He makes a huge point in each video that bug-like creatures aren't out to get you and you can rest easy, and they're only dangerous if you provoke them or don't leave them alone. I can't imagine that someone could binge-watch several of Coyote's videos and come away MORE scared of insects and arachnids than before.

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
??? He makes a huge point in each video that bug-like creatures aren't out to get you and you can rest easy, and they're only dangerous if you provoke them or don't leave them alone. I can't imagine that someone could binge-watch several of Coyote's videos and come away MORE scared of insects and arachnids than before.
This

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yes, because showing a man breaking down, panting and screaming and crying because of a bite or sting from an insect or arachnid you're already afraid of would surely make you less afraid than before seeing that... o_O

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
Yes, because showing a man breaking down, panting and screaming and crying because of a bite or sting from an insect or arachnid you're already afraid of would surely make you less afraid than before seeing that... o_O
I've watched a fair few of his vids. The bite/sting ones aren't really the main attraction. He also does a follow up video for each of those showing the after effects and treatment for each bite/sting. And then a whole bunch of them are just showcasing really cool animals in the wild, which are the ones I like.

He's sometimes a bit irritating, and often wrong on details, but I think he's doing good work in general. He's like a puppy; just so darn happy and enthusiastic about everything you just can't hate it, even when it pees on the rug. You don't hate puppies do you? DO YOU?! :troll:

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
He's like a puppy; just so darn happy and enthusiastic about everything you just can't hate it, even when it pees on the rug. You don't hate puppies do you? DO YOU?! :troll:
Of course I do. :troll: That's why I prefer dogs, they are quieter and calmer.