Next tarentulas recommendation

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Big, nervous, and colorful, but without the nastiness: N. chromatus
I've heard their venom is quite potent, or have I been misinformed, lovely species from what I've seen, this is why I like scientific names as the A. geniculata and the N. chromatus can sound quite similar, when folks say "giant white knee" e.g.

louise f

Arachnoangel
The pictures speaks for itself <3 :kiss:

forfun

Arachnopeon
The pictures speaks for itself <3 :kiss:
That's some beautiful pictures on some beautiful spiders :D Good job!

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thanks @cold blood, what other sp. would you put their strength of venom being similar to?
The only NW genera that have venom that would be comparatively worse than a bee sting are Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius and possibly Ephebopus (I could be wrong on this last one but heard they had stronger venom than other NWs), all of which still have weaker venom than S. nobilis which is the most venomous spider in the UK (they're quite common in the south, probably too cold for them up in Scotland) and that isn't anywhere near as bad as the papers try to say they are every bloody autumn.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It's worth noting that although most NW species have fairly weak venom, the worst part of the bite from a big adult is the mechanical damage caused by the large fangs. There is no venom involved in driving two roofing nails into one's hand, but it still absolutely SUCKS! :arghh: Puncture wounds are the worst. The whole "it's just like a bee sting" statement that you hear all the time is referring to the venom only.

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
OP, You said in your original post that you were interested in Pokies. They were written off in I believe the next post suggesting you may not be ready. People always say get Psalmopoeus first. You have them. If you want Pokies, get Pokies.
I have some P ornata slings that hammer pinhead roaches. They are quite fun to watch. Others I like are P rufilata and P tigrinawesseli. Only Pokie slings that I struggle with and it seems to be their lack of desire to do anything are the P bara (lowland).

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
OP, You said in your original post that you were interested in Pokies. They were written off in I believe the next post suggesting you may not be ready. People always say get Psalmopoeus first. You have them. If you want Pokies, get Pokies.
That's because I wasn't sure how long @forfun has had the two Psalmopoeus (or how long he has been keeping the other species he has, all of which are beginner species). He also expressed some uncertainty about whether he was ready for Pokies.

If he just got the Psalmos, or if they're slings, I would still suggest gaining some more experience with the Psalmos before moving on to Poecilotheria. Rehousing faster NWs, in particular, is a valuable lesson to learn before jumping into OW species. (A bridge species does little good to prepare you unless you take the time to walk across the bridge.)

Ultimately, it's his call to make, but that is my advice.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
That's because I wasn't sure how long @forfun has had the two Psalmopoeus (or how long he has been keeping the other species he has, all of which are beginner species). He also expressed some uncertainty about whether he was ready for Pokies.

If he just got the Psalmos, or if they're slings, I would still suggest gaining some more experience with the Psalmos before moving on to Poecilotheria. Rehousing faster NWs, in particular, is a valuable lesson to learn before jumping into OW species. (A bridge species does little good to prepare you unless you take the time to walk across the bridge.)

Ultimately, it's his call to make, but that is my advice.
It wasn't a knock on you. He mentioned it and you said what you said. Nobody addressed Pokies after that so I thought I would. It's all good.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It wasn't a knock on you. He mentioned it and you said what you said. Nobody addressed Pokies after that so I thought I would. It's all good.
No worries. I just wanted to explain my reasoning for "writing off" Pokies (and possibly why others didn't recommend them either).

forfun

Arachnopeon
So guys here is the tarentulas i will order;

This is that what im currently will be buying
Acanthoscurria geniculata Female (7.5cm)
Phormictopus cancerides 3.5cm (sling)
Grammostola pulchripes 2.5cm (sling)
Nhandu tripepii 3.5cm (sling)
Tap.gigas 2.5cm (sling)
Neoholothele incei 4.5cm (sling)

Thanks for all the help i hope it can help somebody else like it helped me!

I may add one more if i really find something interesting!