New keeper Questions.

Jayson1974

Arachnopeon
Hello all, first post besides my quick introduction. Have been reading and absorbing as much information as I can for the last couple weeks. Have decided to go for it and get myself a Tarantula...also and much more importantly my darling wife has agreed to me getting a Tarantula!

I have come to the point of gathering/ordering the supplies that are not available locally, I live in a very rural area with a longish drive to any well equipped pet shop. I would like to explain my plans and get some constructive critiques from some experienced keepers.

Firstly I have decided to start my journey with a 3" specimin of Aphonopelma chalcodes, seems to be well regarded for a first time keeper and to my eyes is a VERY attractive creature!
My plans are to purchase the Exo Terra Breeding Box. Probably will start with a small and up size to medium or large as needed. If I end up with more than one Tarantula it would be unlikely to be more than a small collection and I dont mind spending the money for nice clear enclosures.
I will be using a blend of Topsoil and peat for the substrate as I already have plenty of it mixed up, will be kept dry with a water dish kept full. For a hide I will likely use a clay pot as I have a large selection of sizes to choose from.
Food will be a mix of mealworms and crickets. I can get both very locally so dont need to keep large containers of either on hand.
Wow got longer than I intended! If you are still reading...thanks!
Critique away please.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Hello all, first post besides my quick introduction. Have been reading and absorbing as much information as I can for the last couple weeks. Have decided to go for it and get myself a Tarantula...also and much more importantly my darling wife has agreed to me getting a Tarantula!

I have come to the point of gathering/ordering the supplies that are not available locally, I live in a very rural area with a longish drive to any well equipped pet shop. I would like to explain my plans and get some constructive critiques from some experienced keepers.

Firstly I have decided to start my journey with a 3" specimin of Aphonopelma chalcodes, seems to be well regarded for a first time keeper and to my eyes is a VERY attractive creature!
My plans are to purchase the Exo Terra Breeding Box. Probably will start with a small and up size to medium or large as needed. If I end up with more than one Tarantula it would be unlikely to be more than a small collection and I dont mind spending the money for nice clear enclosures.
I will be using a blend of Topsoil and peat for the substrate as I already have plenty of it mixed up, will be kept dry with a water dish kept full. For a hide I will likely use a clay pot as I have a large selection of sizes to choose from.
Food will be a mix of mealworms and crickets. I can get both very locally so dont need to keep large containers of either on hand.
Wow got longer than I intended! If you are still reading...thanks!
Critique away please.
You seem to have a handle on things. I would read this though. It is very helpful. Otherwise, make sure the spider cannot fit through the vents of the breeder box.

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
It's great you did research before buying the T, you sound pretty well informed about Tarantulas from what you have wrote here. All your plans sound fine and will work for the T. Once you have set up the enclosure send some pictures before putting the T in just for some spot checking.

Jayson1974

Arachnopeon
@Bob Len I will do that for sure. We are into some pretty cool weather here so wont be ordering for at least a couple weeks. Spoke with Amanda at TarCan the other day and she explained the shipping details to me. Too cold right now with averages being -20°C.

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
@Bob Len I will do that for sure. We are into some pretty cool weather here so wont be ordering for at least a couple weeks. Spoke with Amanda at TarCan the other day and she explained the shipping details to me. Too cold right now with averages being -20°C.
That'll give you a few more weeks to browse the forums I suppose. Is there anything your not sure about?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Sounds like you've got a great handle on things. Only thing I would suggest is perhaps using a hide that is open from both ends, as the T can't burrow through the solid end of the pot. I got a terracotta pot for my A. chalcodes when I got her a few months back and promptly received a slap on the wrist for it!

Jayson1974

Arachnopeon
@Rigor Mortis ok good point. I can easily knock the bottom out. Or is it ok to use an appropriate sized slab of bark of a hard maple or other local tree. I looked at cork bark...not paying those prices if I can use a dry piece of maple!

Only real question I have at the moment is should I take advantage of a 5 for 25$ sale and include a few slings...will fit in box and not cost extra shipping.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My plans are to purchase the Exo Terra Breeding Box. Probably will start with a small and up size to medium or large as needed.
I'd recommend a medium standard Exo Terra faunarium over the breeder boxes, the breeder boxes don't allow for much substrate depth and this species likes to burrow more often than not.

cold blood

Staff member
igor Mortis ok good point. I can easily knock the bottom out. Or is it ok to use an appropriate sized slab of bark of a hard maple or other local tree.
yeah, hides shouldnt have bottoms or be dead ends....think of a hide as the front door, not the home....its a place to start a burrow.

You do not want to just go grab wood from the woods. 99% of what you will find will look great, but not be usable....this wood simply holds too much internal moisture for way too long....this mrans constant mold issues.
looked at cork bark...not paying those prices if
The alternative is drift wood. It responds much better, in fact, its about all i use. I collect from beaches often....baking on the hot sand really means they dry out well....ive never once had any issue with drift wood....and its free.
Only real question I have at the moment is should I take advantage of a 5 for 25$
Absolutely.

Buying slings is the cheapest way to go, buying multiples is actually even more cost effective and IMO is the best way to build a collection. This allows your collection to work for you. You up your odds at getting a female, and extras can be sold or traded for much more than the original price of the entire group.

Jayson1974

Arachnopeon
@The Grym Reaper thanks...wasnt sure about the height.
@cold blood ok no go on the native bark! So would a chunk out of the side of a pot be better than a whole pot with the bottom knocked out? Didnt explain that well at all!
What does a good Canadian boy do at 130am after spending 4 hours thawing a frozen water line?

20190121_012014.jpg

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You do not want to just go grab wood from the woods. 99% of what you will find will look great, but not be usable....this wood simply holds too much internal moisture for way too long....this mrans constant mold issues.
*All* of my enclosures have locally collected bark and wood, and I do NOT have mold issues with them. Especially in something like an A. chalcodes enclosure, which will have zero substrate moisture.

cold blood

Staff member
*All* of my enclosures have locally collected bark and wood, and I do NOT have mold issues with them. Especially in something like an A. chalcodes enclosure, which will have zero substrate moisture.
Then you've learned which wood to reject.

Most wood people want to use is too fresh. If you use fresh wood and have no issues, go buy lottery tickets, cause that's luck....but I suspect you know what to and what not to use.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Then you've learned which wood to reject.

Most wood people want to use is too fresh. If you use fresh wood and have no issues, go buy lottery tickets, cause that's luck....but I suspect you know what to and what not to use.
Hmm, you might have a point there. I tend to use seasoned wood from our fireplace woodpile and fresh Manzanita.

Jayson1974

Arachnopeon
So had an interesting talk with my wife over coffee this afternoon before work. She commented on the fact that I have been reading about Tarantula species for close to 3 weeks now and am not ordering my first for at least another week. Asked if keeping 3 or 4 is really much more work then just having 1. I dont know but seems like it really shouldnt be.

She suggested that I might as well order 2 or 3 slings at the same time as our 3" A. chalcodes.
Looking for suggestions based on the following list, we are looking for terrestrials or possibly Arboreals but want species that are semi active and colourful.

C. cyaneopubescens 3/4" $50
B. auratum 1/3" $25
B. smithi 1/2"$65
Acanthoscurria geniculata 1/4"$15
Davus pentaloris 1/2"$10
Lasiodora parahybana 1/2"$15
Nhandu chromatus 1/2"$20
Pterinopelma sazimai 3/4"$45,1/4"$25
Gramastola pulchripes 1/4"$35
And her favorite:
Pterinochilus murinus 1/3"$10,3/4"$15,2"$25
I explained the difference between New World and Old world to her but she is confident that I can handle a faster Tarntula especial if I start with a small sling and grow with it.
Give me your thoughts please. Would like to stay at no more than $100 for the slings 50 would be better.

Justin H

Arachnosquire
So had an interesting talk with my wife over coffee this afternoon before work. She commented on the fact that I have been reading about Tarantula species for close to 3 weeks now and am not ordering my first for at least another week. Asked if keeping 3 or 4 is really much more work then just having 1. I dont know but seems like it really shouldnt be.

She suggested that I might as well order 2 or 3 slings at the same time as our 3" A. chalcodes.
Looking for suggestions based on the following list, we are looking for terrestrials or possibly Arboreals but want species that are semi active and colourful.

C. cyaneopubescens 3/4" $50
B. auratum 1/3" $25
B. smithi 1/2"$65
Acanthoscurria geniculata 1/4"$15
Davus pentaloris 1/2"$10
Lasiodora parahybana 1/2"$15
Nhandu chromatus 1/2"$20
Pterinopelma sazimai 3/4"$45,1/4"$25
Gramastola pulchripes 1/4"$35
And her favorite:
Pterinochilus murinus 1/3"$10,3/4"$15,2"$25
I explained the difference between New World and Old world to her but she is confident that I can handle a faster Tarntula especial if I start with a small sling and grow with it.
Give me your thoughts please. Would like to stay at no more than $100 for the slings 50 would be better.
A couple of weeks ago I bought my first tarantula from a breeder. When I asked if L. parahybana would be a good sling for me, everybody in the room laughed at me and started telling their horror stories. It's ultimately up to you, but I'm going to keep it simple with the NW terrestrials for now.