New keeper Questions.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P. murinus even as slings are lighting fast. Last time I got one I went to rehouse it out of the container I bought it in. It ran up my arm and on to my back before I could react. I had to very carefully take my shirt off and hope it was still on there (it was). Also, they grow very fast and you will have a decent sized spider in no time.

I am a big P. murinus fan though. They are really cool and stunningly beautiful. But maybe hold off for a while.

I will vote A. geniculata. They are great. And 3-5 spiders is better than one. Still super easy to take care of and when some are fasting or in premolt chances are a few others won’t be.
7EB636CB-B448-4EFC-91EC-E0481E54C98C.jpeg

Jayson1974

Arachnopeon
@cold blood
I feel the same about the Bitey Thing. Someday maybe.
Any opinions on Davus pentaloris?
It is a colourful beast.

@Olan thanks.
P. sazimai is her second choice...its blue she says.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my opinion P. sazimai are doable for beginners. But they can be pretty fast and prone to bolt. Just do all maintenance in an open area where they can’t hide if you end up with a runner

Right after a molt they are stunning:
9CCE242A-21DB-4F20-BBD6-2EE278405D39.jpeg

Davus pentaloris are also fast and flighty, but could be doable.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Pterinochilus murinus 1/3"$10,3/4"$15,2"$25
I explained the difference between New World and Old world to her but she is confident that I can handle a faster Tarntula especial if I start with a small sling and grow with it.
Quite frankly in this case is the opposite, if you ask me.

Let's be honest... a P.murinus sling will grow into an adult pretty, pretty fast. Seriously they grow damn fast. And this key detail wouldn't help you, because in that time not so much of "experience" is gained in between. Notably, you would have to rehouse (for cage upgrade/s due to the above mentioned 'OBT' grow rate, for that you wouldn't place a sling into an enclosure suitable for adults, after all) a pretty speedy, defensive spider more than once.

This leads IMO to your only reasonable option - 'OBT' talking, if 'OBT' has to be - left: buy directly a sexed female. This way, since the care is laughable easy (mind, the care is easy... 'dealing with', may differ) you could place the spider in her final enclosure, and 'struggle' a bit less :pompous:

cold blood

Staff member

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rather than post a thesis, it’s far more effective to post bullet points on what you have questions on.

You’ll get a better and more numerous response.

FluffyTheSpider

Arachnopeon

Attachments

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
C. cyanopubescens, L. parahybana, and A. geniculata would be my recommendations.

I'd like to know who the seller is, because I need some B. auratum slings and that is a good price on them! Brachypelma are awesome, but generally pretty slow growing (Brachypelma vagans is an exception).

A couple of weeks ago I bought my first tarantula from a breeder. When I asked if L. parahybana would be a good sling for me, everybody in the room laughed at me and started telling their horror stories. It's ultimately up to you, but I'm going to keep it simple with the NW terrestrials for now.
Horror stories about LP slings??

LPs are super easy, fast growing spiders. They have voracious appetites, but are otherwise mild-mannered. I'm sorry you were treated that way... that is unfair.

Justin H

Arachnosquire
Horror stories about LP slings??

LPs are super easy, fast growing spiders. They have voracious appetites, but are otherwise mild-mannered. I'm sorry you were treated that way... that is unfair.
Yep, I realize now that they were being way over dramatic and ended up getting an LD sling a bit after I made that post :). They were horror stories about the hairs from full grown adults... my LD is less than 0.5" so I have plenty of time before that's a thing.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You think you are gonna have ONE T, before you knoew it you got yourself a small collection! My advise is that you keep the spider in a tank that allows at least 10 inch of substrate. Theese are heavy burrowers and like deep substrate. Just fill up the tank and pack down the substrate. It should be pretty compressed! Add the flowerpot or piece of corkbark big enough for the spider to hide under and you are good to go! Keep the substrate dry! But with a large waterdish. Topsoil, peat or a mix is good substrate or you can use pottingsoil is good. I often use pure peat myself. It is quite inexpensive and works great for both dry living spiders and spiders that need moist soil! A chalcodes is a nice speicies, often non defenssive and long lived, not to mention it is beautiful! Good luck!!!!

Last edited:

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
It sounds like you've done a really good job with your research. You've chosen a fantastic seller as well! If you're starting with slings it wouldn't hurt to get a few - the extra cost and time investment are marginal and it's really cool to watch how they change as they grow.

Anyway I just wanted to recommend G. pulchripes if you're still considering species. It was one of my first and they're really lovely - hardy, faster growing than other Grammostolas, and very docile. It will be skittish as a sling, as all slings are, but mine is and always has been among my most chill Ts.

Have you considered B. albopilosum at all? Disregard this if you have no interest, but they're wonderful beginner Ts - similar to G. pulchripes in care and temperament but a little faster-growing. Mine are more active than my Grammostolas and they love to dig and bulldoze their substrate, which is cool to watch.

If you use Facebook there are some pretty active groups for Canadian tarantula keepers that might interest you, like Canadian Tarantulas and Tarantulas in Canada. Best of luck with your new babies, and please feel welcome to post photos when they arrive!

Minty

@londontarantulas
C. cyaneopubescens
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Pterinopelma sazimai
I’d go for these, from the species you’ve listed. Definitely, definitely, get a C.cyanepubescens.

Do not get an old world.

First few rehouses will be done inside a large tub possibly inside our shower.
Make sure you cover the plug hole and any other holes if you do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayson1974

Arachnopeon
@Minty

Cover the tub hole...LOL

Thanks I might have actually forgotten that.
I am actually laughing out loud right now! Really leaning toward
A. geniculata or N. chromatus to go along with my A. chalcodes.