New here! Am looking to buy a tarantula but would like more info before I do PLEASE HELP! :)

mnaera

Arachnopeon
Hey all!

So as you may have read I am new to this forum. I don't have a Tarantula yet...should I? But I am looking to get one :) I've been viewing lots of videos on YouTube and doing some research but I still don't really know which one to get. Since I'm new at this I would prefer a fairly docile tarantula, I know some are quite relaxed while others can get rather aggressive. All the information anyone can give would be greatly appreciated as I want to have as much knowledge as possible before purchasing so I can give the tarantula a good home :D

xx Merc xx

Last edited:

alpine

Arachnosquire
Hey all!

So as you may have read I am new to this forum. I don't have a Tarantula yet...should I? But I am looking to get one :) I've been viewing lots of videos on YouTube and doing some research but I still don't really know which one to get. Since I'm new at this I would prefer a fairly docile tarantula, I know some are quite relaxed while others can get rather aggressive. All the information anyone can give would be greatly appreciated as I want to have as much knowledge as possible before purchasing so I can give the tarantula a good home :D

xx Merc xx
Welcome to the forum! :) You are going to get a lot of good information here haha! In either case I personally recommend a G. Pulchripes (Chaco golden knee tarantula) they are slower growing very calm tarantulas that are related to the equally popular G. Rosea (Rose hair tarantula). G. Roseas are also good starters but they tend to exemplify everything about tarantulas including fasting for long periods of time and taking years to grow and not moving very much. People also recommend some Tarantulas from the Brachypelma species. I personally have a G. Pulchripes spiderling (she's about half and inch now and heading towards a molt), Brachypelma vegans, 2 avicularia versicolor slings and a Psalmopoeus Irminia, I'm looking to get a G. Rosea sometime soon as well. But my G> Pulchripes has proven to be very calm and interesting. In any case, WELCOME! :)

mnaera

Arachnopeon
Thank you! The G. Pulchripes are absolutely beautiful and I really really want one! But I live in Australia so I don't think its possible :( If it is PLEASE let me know where I can get one :) Do you know of any Australian Tarantulas that would make a good pet?

Or if anyone knows a good site to buy tarantulas online in Australia?

I definitely want to see future pictures of your spiders but especially your G. Pulchripes :)

alpine

Arachnosquire
Thank you! The G. Pulchripes are absolutely beautiful and I really really want one! But I live in Australia so I don't think its possible :( If it is PLEASE let me know where I can get one :) Do you know of any Australian Tarantulas that would make a good pet?

Or if anyone knows a good site to buy tarantulas online in Australia?

I definitely want to see future pictures of your spiders but especially your G. Pulchripes :)
Thanks :) I am not sure about how to go about getting tarantulas in australia, since I don't actually live there :-/ someone else on here might be able to tell you at a different time. Right now she is in pre molt as are most of my other Ts. But in either case good luck getting a T that you can enjoy!

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Welcome.

You could go for G,pulchripes or G,Rosea but I would go for B,smithi or any Brachypelma sp, there is Brazilian,black, Green bottle blue=GBB, going bigger is The Lasiodora sp= L,Klugi, L,difficilis and L,parahybana they are grate starting sp, also any Avicularia are brilliant to start, you have may choices to choose from. If you like YouTube vids then Jon3800 has good info on T's and feeding vids.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

mnaera

Arachnopeon
I really want the G. Pulchripes but I live in Australia so I think i'll have to get an Australian Tarantula. I was thinking maybe a phlogius stents, it doesn't have the colours like the G. Pulchripes (which is why I really want one because it is so beautiful!!! and because they are quite docile from what I've been told and through the research I've done) but it is still a gorgeous animal and quite a common one as a pet in Australia. I just hope they're relatively calm! haha :)\

I would love a site where I can buy one from Australia :) Please help :D

mnaera

Arachnopeon
oh and thank you :)

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 09:44 PM ----------

I'll have a look :) Thanks!

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey! Welcome to the forum!

Because you live in Australia you'll only be able to buy and keep Australian species, and unfortunately most of them are quite defensive lol It might be a good idea to search other people in Australia on the forum and ask them their opinions =)

Katerina

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the forum! You will learn a lot and meet many helpful friendly people on this forum!
I would suggest getting a G Rosea as well. They are very docile and easy to care for. As well as the G. Pulchripes your interested in. You will not regret getting these as your first T. I'm sure your local petstore may carry G roseas. Just to make it easy for you. I'm sorry I don't know any places in Australia that'll sell T's to you but I think I've passed by a few websites that's willing to ship worldwide. If you're interested, PM me and I'll backtrack and look into it for you :)

Oh I didn't read the post above me before replying. ~Sorry.

Arienette

Arachnoknight
Welcome to the forum! You will learn a lot and meet many helpful friendly people on this forum!
I would suggest getting a G Rosea as well. They are very docile and easy to care for. As well as the G. Pulchripes your interested in. You will not regret getting these as your first T. I'm sure your local petstore may carry G roseas. Just to make it easy for you. I'm sorry I don't know any places in Australia that'll sell T's to you but I think I've passed by a few websites that's willing to ship worldwide. If you're interested, PM me and I'll backtrack and look into it for you :)

Oh I didn't read the post above me before replying. ~Sorry.
willingness to ship worldwide doesn't mean they will ship to a country where it is illegal to keep any non native species. any suggestion would be useless.
that being said, OP, I'm sorry to hear you live there :( that makes all the good "pet" tarantulas out of the question.
but hey, you can go out and find a male peacock spider and we can all drool over that.:)

Tarac

Arachnolord
willingness to ship worldwide doesn't mean they will ship to a country where it is illegal to keep any non native species. any suggestion would be useless.
that being said, OP, I'm sorry to hear you live there :( that makes all the good "pet" tarantulas out of the question.
but hey, you can go out and find a male peacock spider and we can all drool over that.:)
THat's what I was thinking. Pretty sure all the Australian species are generally quite nasty and I don't know that other species are available there... not being Australian, that's what you'll have to check. Are there any non-native T's available there? Maybe if they're already in the country from times when importing was allowed they're legal to purchase within the country?

If it is possible, the absolute best beginner T is Euathlus sp. "red/orange/yellow/flame" (it's called a bunch of things but it's the tiny black one with the small red/orange/yellowish patch on the proximal side of the opisthosoma). They are small, attractive, slow moving (and growing and everything else for that matter- so probably long-lived) super easy to care for, extremely docile- never heard of a nippy one at all- and hardy. G. rosea can be a bit schizo, really any of the others can. Possible that there is one or two E. sp red out there that is bad but I have yet to hear of it. They are always hailed for being so gentle.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Yeah you should find out what T's can be imported or what is already in the country.

Katerina

Arachnopeon
That's quite obvious. I didn't know it was illegal, as I mention in my reply, until I read the above post before me. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Arienette

Arachnoknight
That's quite obvious. I didn't know it was illegal, as I mention in my reply, until I read the above post before me. :sarcasm:
which is the point I'm making.
Lurk and learn before you answer things like this.
if someone comes here looking for info, its imperative they get CORRECT info.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If that's even possible you MUST get one of those, they are so amazing!! First time someone showed me one I could hardly believe my eyes! haha

Katerina

Arachnopeon
which is the point I'm making.
Lurk and learn before you answer things like this.
if someone comes here looking for info, its imperative they get CORRECT info.
Lol, I think it's imperative you read what I wrote in my first reply. :) Can't you read the words "Sorry"? Or would this be questioning your abilities as well? Hah.
It doesn't matter if I gave this person the wrong information now! Because just as I done so, I took responsibility for my little booboo and apologized so now OP can simply ignore it. Is there something else I must do? Please let me know. Other than that I must of forgotten this is a "no-mistake" zone. Hahhhh.... :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Nisrene

Arachnopeon
If that's even possible you MUST get one of those, they are so amazing!! First time someone showed me one I could hardly believe my eyes! haha
I'm not a fan of true spider's never have been. I'v only ever enjoyed T's..... Until of course i saw some pictures of male peacock spider's. Now i might change my mind.

taraction

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i am planning a visit to the gold coast this year...want to work out some smuggling plans? :)