New Chaco

Flapenn

Arachnopeon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334389745.053647.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334389758.458449.jpg
I got my very first tarantula the other day. Its just a little one I don't know how old it is but its small and looks like a spider I could find in my garage right now lol. Looking forward to watching he/she grow up. :)

Sent by Jedi mind tricks.

hotflakes2

Arachnosquire
Nice little sweetie, Congratulations and welcome to the hobby. Chaco's are great Ts they make very good display pets. :)

Flapenn

Arachnopeon
Yea it is very calm and slow. I'm not sure if it's gettin ready to molt or if it just doesn't want to eat yet :/

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that lil guy isnt likely in pre molt... WAY pink still.. the body as a whole gets darker with an impending molt. i found mine to be horrible eaters at that stage, but with a lil patience they become awesome. when i first got mine they would eat maybe a drumstick off a cricket a week (the larger of the two would eat a prekilled pinhead) ... what are you trying to feed it?

Flapenn

Arachnopeon
I was tryin to feed it a small pinhead smaller than his body.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
was it givin it a mini threat pose lol??? at that size IME they are very timid eaters. try prekilling it and leaving the pin head in the deli.. if its still in there tomorrow, dont just ASSUME premolt.. try again next week. these guys frustrated me at that size, because they were among my 1st tiny slings and i didnt have the slightest clue.. i asked 1000001 questions and eventually figured it out.

---------- Post added 04-14-2012 at 01:08 PM ----------

also, that enclosure looks way too large, but that is up to you... i housed mine in a baby food jar with great success

Jared781

Arachnobaron
very nice lil guy there!! from the first pic i noticed; You were soo pumped you took the picture in the car? AhAhhh
I seen one at Petland and almost bought it considering it was right in front of me; mainly because Iv wanted one for a while!... Although, is was PETLAND, so i smartened up and walked away! the specimen was 5" anyways!

If i ever buy a specimen now from Petland, Petco, Pet cetera .. Et cetera HAH it would have to be a sling!!!

Flapenn

Arachnopeon

i got him from petcenterusa.net, the warehouse is not to far from me so i just drove and picked it up. And yes i was soo stoked for my new baby i took a pic when i got in the car hahaha. He is very timid, if i nudge him he barely even tries to walk away lol. When i put the cricket in it got right in front of him and he just turned around and faced his but at it. Also this is the container i got him in so maybe i will put him in a smaller enclosure and offer him a dead cricket.

Flapenn

Arachnopeon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334440296.363259.jpg
So I moved him to a smaller enclosure. It's a 4oz Rubbermaid. I also killed a pinhead and threw it in. I made a nice little burrow and he quickly found it and crawled to the bottom :)
Now we wait....lol

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
THATS more like it.. i currently have a few slings housed in rubbermaids just like it. I drilled airholes on the sides of mine tho... just be careful as to what bit your using if you decide to do so... ive had ts so tiny they escaped through 1/16" bit holes.. good luck, and ask more q's if you have them

MoonRaven

Arachnopeon
Very cute!

My chaco is about that size, and he/she is one of my best eaters. Love them!

salmonpink

Arachnopeon
Yours is alot pinker then mine. Dont worry mine has been refusing food to. I threw a dead pinhesd in there and it wss still there this morning. Ill try again in a few days

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
i found mine to be horrible eaters at that stage, but with a lil patience they become awesome. when i first got mine they would eat maybe a drumstick off a cricket a week (the larger of the two would eat a prekilled pinhead) ...
+1 to that.

I have 8 pulchripes slings and only one out of the bunch takes pinheads with no problem (he/she is also the largest of the bunch). The others most of the time run away. If this happens I just pre kill the cricket and usually they will take it.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lol.. me and chrisduhfur were just having that discussion in my thread in the questions/discussions forum. the pulchripes we have are sackmates. the one i held onto sounds like YOUR chaco brad... i kept the beast of the bunch... i got a theory that i made a mistake lol.. only time will tell

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
lol.. me and chrisduhfur were just having that discussion in my thread in the questions/discussions forum. the pulchripes we have are sackmates. the one i held onto sounds like YOUR chaco brad... i kept the beast of the bunch... i got a theory that i made a mistake lol.. only time will tell
Yeah my largest is a monster when it comes to food. lol! All of mine are sackmates as well. I have been keeping records of all feedings (live or PK) and molts just too see what (if any) reason shows up as to why one is quite a bit bigger than the others. Maybe he just got the strongest genes??

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
maybe SHE just got the strongest genes ;) i seriously hope genetics is what is comes down to, and that i didnt hang on to the male of the bunch (out of the few i recieved)

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
maybe SHE just got the strongest genes i seriously hope genetics is what is comes down to, and that i didnt hang on to the male of the bunch (out of the few i recieved)

I know sex MAY have something to do with growth rate but if it were set in stone that males grow faster then females I would have a female or two to sell ya because that would mean I've got 1 male and 7 females....... Man, he would be a busy guy once they all matured!! lol

Flapenn

Arachnopeon
So I left a prekilled cricket in with HER :biggrin: and it was still in there when i checked her a little bit ago but her legs look much darker today so we will see. i will offer her another meal in a few days if no molt occurs.

BTW im on the market for another sling...big surprise im sure hahah

what to get :o_O:

Flapenn

Arachnopeon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334552758.325118.jpg
Here's a pic of her. She looks wayy darker in the legs now