My new P Boliviensis

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Is it crazy that I got one of these as a freebie? and didn't order anything "hot" and wasn't expecting it? I have thought about getting one and had pretty much decided I didn't want the risk, but, oh well I have one now. I'm keeping it in a "maximum security " enclosure (32 oz deli - too big for a tiny sling normally - in a sterilite container with a 2 inch wide smear of vasoline around the top). I currently making plans for a "super max" enclosure for when it gets larger.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Yes its crazy you got one as freebee..
What happened was I ordered 2 of another species and it turned out he only 1 left. So he offered to refund my money or send me "a bunch other cool stuff" in place of the second spider, one of which turned out be a P. boliviensis.

When I said crazy, I didn't just mean getting it for free, but also sending someone a "hot" species without that person's knowledge. I'm not complaining, but I mean I've heard of people getting upset because they got a OW tarantula as a freebie (they only kept NW's).

Last edited:

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
I understand u, its crazy to give a potential Very hot spider for free, without nowing if the person has had them before. NW vs OW is much less difference..

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
Look, if someone orders a widow by me. Sometimes i give a Loxosceles as freebee, both can not climb against slippery walls. so they are both about the same to keep, and to handle. A Phoneutria is much faster, and live in a complete different environment, so i even would not consider give a Phoneutria as freebee with a order of widows.. What kind of spiders did you order original ?

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
Ps: the Phoneutria are relay awesome spiders. So do your homework, and if you think you can do it (take care of him/her) Go for it :)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Look, if someone orders a widow by me. Sometimes i give a Loxosceles as freebee, both can not climb against slippery walls. so they are both about the same to keep, and to handle. A Phoneutria is much faster, and live in a complete different environment, so i even would not consider give a Phoneutria as freebee with a order of widows.. What kind of spiders did you order original ?
Barylestis scutatus. I'm not wanting to give the guy a hard time, I mean it was very generous of him. But I'm considering emailing and in a polite way mentioning he might want to be more careful about what sends people.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Ok, this change it a litle bit. The Barylestis are also fast, isnt it?
I think they're pretty similar to huntsman but their venom isn't so strong. I still don't think they are on the same experience level as a Phoneutria though.
@SonsofArachne who did you order from? I might make a few orders as well and hope I get a cool freebie :troll:

NYAN

Arachnoking
Is it crazy that I got one of these as a freebie? and didn't order anything "hot" and wasn't expecting it? I have thought about getting one and had pretty much decided I didn't want the risk, but, oh well I have one now. I'm keeping it in a "maximum security " enclosure (32 oz deli - too big for a tiny sling normally - in a sterilite container with a 2 inch wide smear of vasoline around the top). I currently making plans for a "super max" enclosure for when it gets larger.
Wow. Yes that is crazy, especially without warning. If I was in your position I would keep it too. Give it lots of respect, don’t do maintenance with your hands or anything and you’ll be fine. I hear they are somewhat calm unless they are disturbed.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
@SonsofArachne who did you order from? I might make a few orders as well and hope I get a cool freebie :troll:
Lol, I don't know if he would want his name mentioned in this context.

Give it lots of respect, don’t do maintenance with your hands or anything and you’ll be fine. I hear they are somewhat calm unless they are disturbed.
Believe me, I plan on being super careful. I'm actually more worried about it escaping than getting bit while it's in the enclosure. I've been planning a enclosure that I don't have to open.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I think they're pretty similar to huntsman but their venom isn't so strong. I still don't think they are on the same experience level as a Phoneutria though.
He doesn't list Barylestis as hot in his order list. I have heard their venom MAY be stronger than other huntsman type spiders.

I sent him a email today stating my concerns, and that the email was not a criticism, but rather I was concerned for him and his business.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Barylestis scutatus. I'm not wanting to give the guy a hard time, I mean it was very generous of him. But I'm considering emailing and in a polite way mentioning he might want to be more careful about what sends people.
Yeah, because if somebody sends that to me, it's gonna die fast.
Sorry, but I hell yes know my limitations.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Yeah, because if somebody sends that to me, it's gonna die fast.
Sorry, but I hell yes know my limitations.
I actually considered killing it for a second, but decided I like challenge of making a inescapable - or as close to inescapable as possible - enclosure. I have a number of ideas already (I may be crazier than I previously thought;)).

I heard back from the dealer. He appreciated my concerns and offered to pay for return postage, which I declined.