My new P Boliviensis

I just got a Phoneutria Boliviensis and while I understand the risk and that they are nervous and aggressive as this particular species has both a neurotoxin (a toxin that inhibit the nervous system) and secondary cardio toxins present (a toxin that can prevent contractions, making the heart beat weird) and yes that the bite of it could or could not be significant and have clinical effects, and it is medically important regardless. I imagine that a severe envenomation can cause significant etiologies, but i think it might be hard to tell. Regardless, Mother Teresa is fast and she seems docile, but I do know better. I have posted some pics of her; my main question is that she produced hatchings about 2 months ago. So it is possible if she was exposed to a male she can store his secretions and within a year have an egg sac, if she does produce an egg sag I am not totally sure what to do, would anyone please provide me tips?

Attachments

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
clapping your hands if she produce a vial cocoon :)

Nice spiders, i have a female to. Looking for a male..

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
I'm from the Netherlands ;-) Noting found yet here, i also take slings if i find them...

The spider.
She is fast, she took out a pinky mouse in a matter of seconds. From what I can tell she is aggressive, so back story. My girlfriend has an Avicularia versicolor (very shy) and a Grammostola rosea (who is very irritable, throws hairs, and is aggressive)...lol

I have an anaconda, and so I wanted her to get into snakes, so she has a normal ball python.

So because she got into snakes, I got into spiders.

So my P Bolivinias is the first spider I have ever owned...hahahaha

As I know even most scientist don't get training on the spider, so I use caution when dealing with her.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I hope you’re not feeding live vertebrates, as it’s unnecessary. It creates a mess and is cruel.

I hope you’re not feeding live vertebrates, as it’s unnecessary. It creates a mess and is cruel.
She generally eats crickets, but she seemed to like the pinky mouse as well. But, these spiders aren't typical, and unlike the fangs of the tarantula I believe the fangs are a bit sharper.

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
You only shorten her live, the pinky's give so much nutricion, she live's her live faster. Its not necessary...

You only shorten her live, the pinky's give so much nutricion, she live's her live faster. Its not necessary...
I was unaware, are you saying she should only eat invertebrates? My understanding is that in the wild they will eat small rodents, and many other invertebrates as well, is this not true?

Last edited:

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
In the wild they dont get every x day food, they must take it all. In the wild they want to reproduce as fast, and as many times as possible. We want to hold the spider as long as possible alive..

In the wild they dont get every x day food, they must take it all. In the wild they want to reproduce as fast, and as many times as possible. We want to hold the spider as long as possible alive..
Interesting, this is the one and only time she has eaten a pinky mouse. I generally give her crickets and roaches which she does well on, but I am under the impression she could be pregnant. Meaning a sac may come, as these spiders double clutch and can hold male sperm for up to a year, she had a sac of babies about 4 months ago.

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
Pitty you live in the states, im looking for a male (or slings). Have a aduld female to..