My B. boehmei turned out to be B. baumgarteni

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Well, I'm unsure with mine.
She doesn't have the uniform red on her legs like boehmei apparently, but she does have a black triangle on the carapace, and some faint black marks on her tarsi.
She is still a juvie/sub-adult though... Are these features visible early on? She currently is about 4.75"
Here's some pics:

Faint black marks on the tarsi

Black triangle on the carapace

Her spermathecae from her latest molt:

I'm leaning towards boehmei. Would really like to see comparison shots of spermathecae though.

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I'm unsure with mine.
She doesn't have the uniform red on her legs like boehmei, but she does have a black triangle on the carapace, and some faint black marks on her tarsi.
She is still a juvie/sub-adult though... Are these features visable early on? She currently is about 4.75"
Here's some pics:

Faint black marks on the tarsi

Black triangle on the carapace

Her spermathecae from her latest molt:

I'm leaning towards boehmei. Would really like to see comparison shots of spermathecae though.
You got yourself a Boehmei there and a nice one too.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok I got way better pics of the spermathecae. It looks way different than Hobo's picture.

Here it is. i got two pics. One by itself and another with white paper behind it so you can clearly see the spermathecae.

Heres her size. I measured the molt and the leggs and rest of body is not wet. I just re moistened the spermathecae area for this occasion. Anyway 4.5" or stratched out 5" Legspan. She is obviosly bigger than 5" now but stil have to measure her.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good pics, and what looks like a clear difference in spermathecae.

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I got way better pics of the spermathecae. t looks way different than Hobo's picture.

Here it is. i got two pics. One by itself and another with white paper behind it so you can clearly see the spermathecae.

Heres her size. I measured the molt and the leggs and rest of body is not wet. I just re moistened the spermathecae area for this occasion. Anyway 4.5" or stratched out 5" Legspan. She is obviosly bigger than 5" now but stil have to measure her.

Those are excellent close-ups, very fascinating. I need a camera with good macro like yours, what kind is it?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love this camera!!! Its the Canon Powershot SX210 IS. It has two macro modes with manual focus and records HD video with autofocus and zoom. The Zoom is 14X Optical:eek: and its a telescoping wide angle lense. I bought it for Father's day with my wifes money:D

Oh and those pics are huge! I had to shrink them down to post them here.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well it looks like you have a baum . I would listen to brachybaum though because he has like 5 of them lol :p

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I found the molt of my 6" Female Baum and it has the same flap, unfortunately my camera phone won't let me get closer.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dude, you are the man! Looks just like mine. That picture is pretty good enough to see it looks different than Hobo's and more like mine. Thank you!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I played with your photo (Hope you don't mind brachybaum.) The molt in the relaxed state is 5.5" but Opheilia molt stretched out would be 6". So the actual spider right now is definately over 6" LS.

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I played with your photo (Hope you don't mind brachybaum.) The molt in the relaxed state is 5.5" but Opheilia molt stretched out would be 6". So the actual spider right now is definately over 6" LS.
Yep, that sounds about right. She is walking around a bit but her molt took a tole on her. She was extremely weak, couldn't even lift her legs up while she was still upside down for a long time but she seems to have regained much of her strength, I'll try to get a better measurement. I'm going to measure my biggest female, I think she's about 6.5" possibly +.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Considering these are quite rare in the hobby I find it surprising they are getting mixed up with boehmei.Did you try and contact the original owner of the spider to get any more info on where it came from?
Also I'd be careful breeding her with a baum male unless your 100% certain thats what you have!NW spiders aren't my thing so I honestly don't know any solid data to compare the two.Just going by color alone on two very similar looking spiders sounds iffy!Perhaps Eddy will chime in here?
-Chris

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Considering these are quite rare in the hobby I find it surprising they are getting mixed up with boehmei.Did you try and contact the original owner of the spider to get any more info on where it came from?
Also I'd be careful breeding her with a baum male unless your 100% certain thats what you have!NW spiders aren't my thing so I honestly don't know any solid data to compare the two.Just going by color alone on two very similar looking spiders sounds iffy!Perhaps Eddy will chime in here?
-Chris
It's not just the color we are going by, their carapace pattern and structure is different, the check marks on the legs are different, the spermathace is different and temperament too.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like a boehmei to me. Nothing really indicates otherwise so far.

Here was one of my gals.
You can see a very prominent marking that is hard to miss on the metatarsus that is not on your boehmei.
Post a carapace shot of yours when you get the chance too.

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like a boehmei to me. Nothing really indicates otherwise so far.

Here was one of my gals.
You can see a very prominent marking that is hard to miss on the metatarsus that is not on your boehmei.
Post a carapace shot of yours when you get the chance too.

Hey Ryan, beautiful gal. My biggest female(the one you sold me) looks just like yours but my smallest female that I've had for about 3 years now looks just like Talon's., she's about 5". Give Talon's some time, in a few more molts she will reach adult size and then she will look like yours too, I guarantee it(men's fashion depot):D