My B. boehmei turned out to be B. baumgarteni

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Ryan, beautiful gal. My biggest female(the one you sold me) looks just like yours but my smallest female that I've had for about 3 years now looks just like Talon's., she's about 5". Give Talon's some time, in a few more molts she will reach adult size and then she will look like yours too, I guarantee it(men's fashion depot):D
The marks on the metatarsus were that bold from about 2.5-3" on my guys and gals. With Talons you have to squint really hard and sorta pretend there is a marking there. There is indeed a mark there or a "swoosh" if you want to call it that but nothing like what is seen on a baum. I see that light marking on boehmei all the time. The carapace from what I can see is one of a boehmei not a baum, a better picture of the carapace would be helpful but I don't think it would change my opinion much.

Plus like Chris mentioned, its not like people misplace baums and sell them on accident. That would be an epic mistake.

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here are some pictures of my smallest Female Baumgarteni, she's 5.5". This is the one I bought at 1.5" marked as a B. Emilia and about 2 years ago(she was probably 3-4", she molts close to once a year) she was ID'd by Satellite Rob(who had extensive knowledge on Baum's) as a Baum.

Some of you guys have very nice, expensive slr camera's with great macro that shows much more detail than some of us who have point and shoot camera's or in my case a camera phone:wall:. These can never bring out any specimen's true colors/form.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not bad pics for a camera phone!
Does not change the fact that Talons looks exactly like a boehmei to me. Even the over all appearance of the hairs on Talons looks exactly like boehmei and not shaggy like a baum. Just my opinion though. :)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
ive been inspecting my B. boehmei so closely she is tapping her feet at me... lol i think everyone is second guessing what they are keeping... :wall::wall::wall::? :wall:

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not bad pics for a camera phone!
Does not change the fact that Talons looks exactly like a boehmei to me. Even the over all appearance of the hairs on Talons looks exactly like boehmei and not shaggy like a baum. Just my opinion though. :)
Yeah, it's this new Iphone 4, its better at recording. I'm fixing to get a dslr but can't find the right one for me:?. What is your setup? And I must say it's awesome.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im sorry, but to me the difference is clear.

What Hobo showed vs. what Talon showed looks completely different to me(hobo's looking like the boehmei) even the spermathecea shows there is a difference.

To me Baum, has more defined red knee's, to where the boehmei has more of a red to orange fade...

Either or, it it very intriguing. :clap:

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im sorry, but to me the difference is clear.

What Hobo showed vs. what Talon showed looks completely different to me(hobo's looking like the boehmei) even the spermathecea shows there is a difference.

To me Baum, has more defined red knee's, to where the boehmei has more of a red to orange fade...

Either or, it it very intriguing. :clap:
Thank you!:worship:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I guess I should point out that the shed I pictured was from when she went from ~3.5" to her current size (yeah she grew a bit more than an inch!). So, her spermathecae may further develop as she matures (I've read this happens; does it happen gradually, or once it's formed it doesn't change?). I guess I'll come find this thread when she molts again and post an updated spermathecae shot.

Also, to further complicate things just a little bit, I found some spermathecae shots in a post from a different forum that shows that my girls spermathecae actually closely resembles the baumgarteni, while Talon's more closely resembles the boehmei. It could very well be an ID mistake on their part as well, but I thought it would be interesting to mention:eek:

Also... does the "swoosh" mark have an actual name?{D

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will definately post updates when she molts again next year. She probably will molt sometime near February 2011. {D And I still am torn with this whole thing. I love the red of the B boehmei and never looked into getting a B baumgarteni. So if mine is a boehmei I'm happy.

I almost want to get another B. boehmei just to know I have a boehmei. Just like the B vagans and the mixups with true identity, its a headache for me.

Last edited:

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What we need is a clear Brachypelma boehmei spermathecae. That one looks just like mine.

Cbarr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brachypelma Boehmei Spermathacae

imo ur spermathacae doesnt look to be that of a B. Baumgarteni, Not trying to sound rude but it seemed pretty clear they werent the same thats the only reason i didnt comment when i posted the pic, if u look in between the two lobes u will be able to see the difference ;) I would say most likely it is a hybrid, or atleast treat it as so

c

Last edited:

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now thats a good pic. Now looking at them I think its safe to say that the boehmei's difference is that it does not have the nodes on either side. Its more smooth.
The reason why I said mine looke alike was because I see two nodes on either side. Maybe I will try again to look at my molt.

I want everyone to understand that I am not trying to make this a baumarteni. I was guided to this direction and so thats why this thread was made. No need to "try not to be rude" since I'm not pushing the issue. Its either a boehmei or the other. I, in all honesty, prefer a boehmei over the baumgarteni. And I certainly do not like Hybrids as I already went through that crap with the vagans. I'm only trying to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the pictures and the help in me determining what i have. If I never got the notion it may be something other than a boehmei, I would still continue to think it was a boehmei and it would still be my number one. Its more of a headache for me to deal with the doubt of what I really have.

If I can get a better picture i will post it.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Now thats a good pic. Now looking at them I think its safe to say that the boehmei's difference is that it does not have the nodes on either side. Its more smooth.
The reason why I said mine looke alike was because I see two nodes on either side. Maybe I will try again to look at my molt.

I want everyone to understand that I am not trying to make this a baumarteni. I was guided to this direction and so thats why this thread was made. No need to "try not to be rude" since I'm not pushing the issue. Its either a boehmei or the other. I, in all honesty, prefer a boehmei over the baumgarteni. And I certainly do not like Hybrids as I already went through that crap with the vagans. I'm only trying to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the pictures and the help in me determining what i have. If I never got the notion it may be something other than a boehmei, I would still continue to think it was a boehmei and it would still be my number one. Its more of a headache for me to deal with the doubt of what I really have.

IMO, if Cbarr's spermathecae pictures are correct (they look similar to the ones I linked to in my previous post too), mine more closely resembles a baumgarteni, while yours is closer to a boemei.

Looks like it was the other way around, after all :)

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok Cbarr,

Tell me the ultimate verdict. Here the absolute best shots I can squeeze out my camera.

In all the shots i notice the little bumps on the sides. The right side is a bit higher than the left in these pics.

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

You don't have to make your's a Baumgarteni, there is no doubt, It is a Baumgarteni! Wait and see, in a few molts it will all be clear.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Oh man i love this...

if this turns out to be a baum i am goin to be very happy!!! i looked at my molt on my "boehmei and it looks like a baumgarteni.. wow mine has the 2 little points on each side.